Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1Uz-Fe / L200 Conversion. Hopefully You'll Find This Interesting.

Yoda

Hello!

First off a brief summary of myself and then what I plan to do.

I don't own a Lexus, but if all goes well I will own the drivetrain from one! :)

I own a 2002 Mitsubishi L200, it's a project truck and has several modifications as is, with others on the go. The major failing of the L200 is the pansy 2.5TD engine in a two tonne truck! So in case you haven't guessed yet, it's coming out and a 1UZ-FE is going in, along with the gearbox from an LS400.

Hopefully you won't take offence at me taking apart an LS400 to do this!

The Aisin auto gearbox in an LS400 is the same box that Mitsi use in the L200. So the plan is to take the box and engine, fit them into my truck and use my transfer case to retain 4 wheel drive. This would be the first time this has been done to an L200 in the UK, but I understand it has been done in New Zealand. It has also been done in the UK to several Pajeros - again the same gear box - and so far it has been done to nine Toyota Hilux surf's - once again, same gear box.

Between myself and the chap who will be doing the conversion (also the same chap who did the 9 Hilux conversions) we should have all the technical bases covered.

The reason I am here is really two fold. One, I thought you guys might be interested to know about this. Hopefully receive it favourably, and secondly as I am to be an owner of a 1UZ-FE engine I thought I best get to know it a bit better!

I have done about as much research as I can before joining here. I understand it is a well built strong engine, and that mileage is not much of a concern for these engines? So hopefully it is just what I am after.I was very happy to see it is a 'non- interference' engine, although that said I have not found any reports of failed cam belts anyway!

Also maybe you would be able to assist with pointers for a donor vehicle. Obviously cosmetics don't matter, nor write off's or non road worthy vehicles. Just has to have a good engine and box. Al the conversions I have been able to trace (11 of them) have been done with donor vehicles that have covered 100 - 150k miles. All report that the engines are 'just about run in' which is what I like to hear. My previous vehicle was a 4 litre Jeep, the engine in which is bullet proof so I am looking for a similar long term reliability and natural strength from the conversion.

Any thoughts or pointers or comments please just fire away.... :)

Thanks Ray!

I forgot to mention I'm hoping it's going to take place in April/May. The main man is booked up until then, which gives me time to gather what I need. I've given him a provisional go ahead, just sorting finances to secure the slot.

Hi nice project if you are going to keep it long term recon the starter motor while the engine is out, new leads dizzy caps & coils would be a good idea too. Bulletproof engines capable of 800,000 miles if looked after. eBay for a doner car as they go really cheap if a bit scruffy.

Nice one Mark thanks for that! New leads, dizzy, caps and coils has been mentioned as part of the build. Is the starter motor a known failure point? I'll make sure he does that.

Only the early pre October 1994 UCF10 engines are non interference everything after and the valves will hit the pistons if the cambelt breaks.

Do the belt,idler and tensioner along with the water pump while the engine is out, also consider replacing the crank seal and camshaft oil seals.

Starter motor sits between the V under the intake manifold common problem is the plunger and contacts, easy DIY job parts cost around £15.00.

These engines run a 5 main bearing crank apparently capable of 1000BHP so with the factory output of around 250BHP run seriously undertuned so enjoy a somewhat stress free life hence the high mileages they can attain.

Are you keeping the A341 transmission or mating the engine to the A343F?

Some very good tutorials on www.lexls.com and also take a look around www.lextreme.com.

Keep us posted with updates and pictures.

Thanks for the comments guys:)

Nice to understand some facts of why these engines are so good!

Would you recommend looking for a pre 1994 car then?

I was wondering about the later VVTi version? whether it would be worth it? Perhaps more of a must is a Tiptronic box. Currently I have a manual box so the auto conversion is a compromise, but one I am happy with. Tiptronic would jut be handy from time to time.

A341 vs A343F... I'm not sure what these box codes indicate at the moment? The plan was to take the box from the LS400 and transplant it into my truck.

Be assured there will be plenty of pics. But it won't be started until April / May at the earliest. That should be realistic, but end of the year would be a definite. I also have some modifications to finish off myself first.

When it's done it will be a full on mini monster truck with proper off road ability and a proper engine:D

Ah that's a interesting nugget of information! So, am I right in putting two and two together and concluding that there was a 4 wheel drive LS400?

if not then I guess it would be the A341 box with my transfer case mated to it. Keeping 4x4 is imperative to this conversion. There are several L200 conversions out there using Rover V8's, 2JZ from a Supra, and a Merc diesel V8. But none of them retain 4x4. Useless to me.....

Definitely going to do a build thread over here too. I am a frequent user of the L200 forum but with this conversion I am going to be just as relevant to this forum as well. I'll have a foot in both camps if you will.... :D

So will the A341 take a transfer box or will I need an A343F? The codes I'm not familiar with but my main guy on this was saying the LS400 box will do the job. Which he must have meant the A341.

Been trawling through the archives on and off for a couple of days. Just as you have all indicated, the main problems seem to be ignition system, starter motors, clogged throttle bodies etc etc... And a lot of vehicles out there with well over 100k and no issues :) I have to say I find this very comforting. Really looking forward to getting things in place for this.

This may all sound normal and taken for granted by you guys, but you have to understand where I am coming from. The list of common faults with the 4cyclinder diesel I currently have is huge! Including cracked balance shafts, warped blocks, main and big end bearing failure (this happened to me), blown gaskets and warped heads with no sign of over heating! Crank shafts cracking and crank pulleys de-laminating. I've lost count of how many times I've seen these faults occur in the past few years. Anything with near on 100k is a ticking time bomb and more than a handful have been known to go bang with as little as 60/70k on the clock. As a result you end up with the costs of a replacement engine being more than you guys would spend on a replacement V8! I kid you not! This is what spawned the search for an engine transplant. The rest of the L200 is bullet proof and very reliable. Just the engine that dates back to a early 70's design in a truck from 2002!

Its no coincidence these engines are transplanted into alsorts of vehicles as they are sublime pieces of quality engineering.

All the little bits and bobs of maintenance jobs will be a breeze for you to do whilst the engine is free of a vehicle.

I'm really looking forward to watching your progress, please keep us updated.

A few years ago I bought some parts off a guy in Nottingham who was fitting a 1UZ-FE engine in a Kit Car, it was rear engined using a Porsche transaxle.

I often wonder if he is still at the same address and whether he got it completed.

I had a look at that Lextreme site you mentioned. Some bonkers stuff going on over there! Seems these engines are very much desired in a multitude of applications. The more I learn the more I can see why. It's no coincidence that I ended up settling on one. I was previously between two engines. The Mitsi 3.2 diesel and the Mitsi 3.0 V6. When I got wind of the 1UZ-FE being a viable possibility I actively went searching it out. The Mitsi V6 would be an easier swap, and it's good for a bucket load of horsepower. But who wants a V6 when you can have a V8 :D

Sure do! It's all pretty much in place now. I'm on the look out for donor vehicles. If the right one comes up I'll grab it, otherwise just biding my time and pick something up in April Just gotta put some cash together for the whole thing.

Damn I just caught myself perusing auto trader looking at L200's lol. Oh well if I ever win the lottery.....

If you don't mind us asking, how much will the conversion cost?