Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1Uz-Fe / L200 Conversion. Hopefully You'll Find This Interesting.

Yoda

Am I right in thinking that you can't get a belt, tensioner, and water pump kit in this country outside of Lexus dealerships?

I can't be the only one considering ordering from the U.S. Please advise. Evidently still have a lot to learn about all things Lexus.

Type ls400 timing belt in eBay search, there are plenty of options I believe.

I appreciate the feedback to be honest. I wanted a kit because I don't know what's needed in terms on individual parts. But I think I'm beginning to get a handle on that so I will price up a kit from OZ vs individual parts here.

Progress. Sorted my engine. Everything on a palet for £510 delivered. 126,000miles on this engine. A decent saving on the Jap engine at 80k and £1055. The way I see it you would still do the same things to both engines prior to fitment as from what I've found 80k isn't low enough to just fit and forget. If more needs doing I've saved some dosh to do it with.

Total motor factors finally called me back and they do the belt kit. So that's sorted. They and ECP still list the water pump as onbsolete but I did find it elsewhere eventually.

Now one question I do have is seals. A Dayco version of the kit from Oz lists a "seal kit" included. So that's crank shalf seal I'm guessing and what else? Should I be looking to do seals at 126,000? What other seals would it be? Here's a link to the kit from Oz;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dayco-Timing-Belt-Kit-for-Lexus-LS400-UCF10R-1UZ-FE-4-0L-V8-DOHC-32V-KTBA162HP-/351498797324?hash=item51d6f6010c

After some digging I've found out that the gearbox from a 3.5GDI Pajero is also compatible for this conversion. The gear ratios however are different. That Paj is a big two tonne vehicle with an engine not far off 1UZ perormance figures. So the ratios will be far better suited to my truck mated to the 1UZ. I've also sorted the tiptronic issue and that looks like a go too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd log on and give you guys a quick update. Steve, sorry I didn't get an email notifying me of your comment. Only saw it today when logging on.

Not a lot happening at the moment. Most major parts bought in.

Conversion parts spend so far is £1422. Which stands as:

Spitronics ECU and TCU £542.

Engine, box, ancilleries. £510

Timing belt and water pump kit £223

Pajero Tiptronic shift and transfer levers £127

Pajero centre console. £20

Just got a fuel pump and filter to buy. Everything else is consumables or minor parts like electrical connections etc, which I will leave to Sunderland4x4 to sort out.

The magic day is 16th Dec. Most likely means I won't get it back until the new year, but I'm fine with that. Just happy to have it being done.

Spitronics looks like a really sorted piece of kit. Full manual race to full auto and you can change the aggressiveness of the shift. Launch control too, although that's apparently boost related. Comes with push buttons for shift control if you fancy placing them somewhere discreet like behind the steering wheel. But you don't have to use them. Base engine map which cannot be erased. And the hole thing is custom made for the 1UZ. And it unleashes the engine to rev past 9k I understand. I'm sure you already know all this. But it's been a big learning curve for me. I cut my teeth on mechanical diesels.

I have a question? Where all 1UZ's cable throttle or did they at some point change to FBW?

In time I plan to pull a few more HP out of the engine. I'm guessing with the Apollo intake that I'll be reusing, the custom exhaust and the ECU we'll be pushing 300fwhp. I don't have a numerical target. After all it's not a race car. But I plan to get a bullet cars manifold so that I can supercharge it. Some headers to make the most of the exhaust. And some high lift cams. No idea what kind of figure that will leave me with. But over 400 at the flywheel is a safe bet.

I always knew these engines were good. But the more I learn about them the more amazing they are. There's a Capri on YouTube with 947rwhp. That's well over 1000hp at the fly wheel. No doubt forged and balanced internals, but still!

Do you have a build thread for your car Steve?

I don't have a build thread yet, I'm affiliated to a few of the 1uz forced induction Facebook pages.

I've not had my LS very long as I'd bought it to use the engine in a track car, but fell in love with the car so decided to just make some improvements to the handling and performance without destroying the comfort.

My track car is a Fiat coupe (yes really) a 1998 2.0 five cylinder turbo. Although a great car and easy to get 300+ bhp from it gets ridiculously expensive to get big power from and it's front wheel drive.

I plan on using a big turbo forged 1uz to put some serious power to the rear wheels and make a well balanced lightweight car that has all the Italian appeal of the fiat without the limitations.

At the moment it's a quivering bare she'll waiting for me to pick up another ls400 donor.

My projects are looooong term ones as I'm juggling working full time while trying to get a small business off the ground.

Ah yeah I'm on a few 1UZ Facebook groups too. I haven't commented much. Just watching and learning.

Sounds like a fun build. My builds are always long term too. I do most stuff myself and when you work fultime and have other obligations they never move quickly do they. I bought my truck in 2010 completely standard. Since then it's had a body lift, suspension lift, veg conversion. Water injection, few engine tweaks, full bed liner respray, winch bumper, spot lights, snorkel, split charger and obligatory bigger wheels and tyres. I've done it all myself bar the repsray for which I still helped. I would do the conversion too but I only have a drive way. And the engine isn't the end of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Dropped the truck off at Sunderland4x4 today. He's going to send me picture updates as the conversion goes along. I'm also having them galvanise my bumper and fit a light bar while they've got it. Not a lot to report about the conversion that I haven't already said. It's due to start on Wednesday and follow the plan we laid out using the Pajero 3.5 GDI gearbox. It was very interesting seeing the other projects they've got in at the moment;

This Wrangler has had a Hemi conversion. It dwarfs my truck in real life.

[img width=375 height=500]http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/Luke_Elliott/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/87CB6701-37A6-4FFA-BC61-380053EF70BD_zpstvwjunou.jpg

This Jeep is in for an Isuzu V6 conversion

[img width=375 height=500]http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/Luke_Elliott/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/197F7EC1-044C-4F4D-B777-BC05597F73CC_zpsaq49lvp8.jpg

And this Jimny has had the usual Frontera V6 swap

[img width=375 height=500]http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/Luke_Elliott/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/25D4080B-BE79-41E4-8DD7-44E1F4004874_zpsgnsbg8ei.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-46210-0-46351700-1450806116_thumb.j

Diesel hunk o' junk go bye bye!

Engine and box are out. Few more ancillery bits and bobs for him to pull out. He's going to give the bay a good clean to remove the grease, road grime and oil. He's confirmed he will be using the Pajero box. The relevant parts from the Lexus box have been swapped over. He's also confirmed that the prop shaft and gearbox cross member will need modifying. But we pretty much knew that anyway. The Pajero box is 8" longer than my manual one was. And the bumper is out for galvanising as you can see.

• 3 weeks later...

post-46210-0-24579800-1452603345_thumb.j

post-46210-0-47412100-1452603377_thumb.j

post-46210-0-48153400-1452603400_thumb.j

They lost a week due to flooding but they're back on it now. As you can see it's a pretty snug fit to the steering column and Battery tray. But it's in. Happy days! They're working on all sorts of things at the moment. Fuel system. Engine wiring. Exhaust. I had to find some new props after we discovered the splines in the box are different.

How do I make these photos a tad smaller?

• 3 weeks later...