Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus - What Does It Mean?

lordturns

Hi,

whilst my lexus was in receipt of a thorough dressing down by a work colleague and me being accused of becoming a snob, we got onto the meaning of the word 'LEXUS'. The aforementioned gentleman says that it means 'Luxury Export to the United States' and that is why Toyota named it so (although Lexus in Austrailia supposedly coined this term).

I did some research myself on the internet and it would appear that there is just popular belief and myth about what it really means with some even suggesting it was derived from 'Alexis' from Dynasty as Japan at the time sent a team over to research into wealthy Americans in the 80's and others saying it simply means 'Luxury and Elegance' which makes more sense.

Any ideas anybody?

You are all wrong, it means

Low

Exposure

X-Rays

Usually

Succeed. :D

That is a good one! :lol:

Also the numbnuts at work said that the LS400 was made in Derbyshire. I have always known they were manufactured in Japan with the only factory abroad being one in Ontario that started production of the RX330 in 2003/2004.

Anyway, he drives a Corsa :sick: 'nuff said.

I know lots of people who work at Toyota Burneston (Derby) and it must be a big secret if the LS400 is made there because they don't know it is.

Everyone knows they make the Vauxhall Corsa there.

Mine was made at the Toyota A55 Plant ( says so on my ID plate so there!)

Good old Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahara_plant

Toyota registered the name ''Lexus'' in the US in 1988. At the time there was an Legal Information Network called ''Lexis'' which filed a suit in the American courts challenging the use of the ''Lexus'' appellation. Toyota were fairly confident that they would be allowed to use the name, but, just in case, they registered

''Lucidia'' ''Luxul'' '' Luxel'' and ''Lexia''.

Thankfully, the courts found in Toyota's favour. Don't fancy driving any of the above.

Toyota registered the name ''Lexus'' in the US in 1988. At the time there was an Legal Information Network called ''Lexis'' which filed a suit in the American courts challenging the use of the ''Lexus'' appellation. Toyota were fairly confident that they would be allowed to use the name, but, just in case, they registered

Thankfully, the courts found in Toyota's favour. Don't fancy driving any of the above.

Sounds like my school Latin classes :lol:

Lol some of those names are comical. Just getting in my Luxel IS200 :lol:

Lol some of those names are comical. Just getting in my Luxel IS200 :lol:

Toyota did make a 'Lucida Estima' (grey import) which we know in the UK as the 'Previa'

"Luxel" sounds like a fabric conditioner :D