Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stone Chip Is Cracking

Only an hour to change the screen, the other hour is the curing time. The glue needs to cure properly, and the car needs to sit still for that to happen, in order to be safe to drive. 1hour is the minimum driveaway time for a car with more than 1 airbag. If it's less, and you were involved in an accident where the airbags deployed, the screen would not be stuck well enough for the airbags to work (they work by inflating and using the screen to keep their position)

Creaking is to be expected on most car, especially ones like our Lexus' and Toyota's that have a hard compound trim around them. This needs time to bed in and seat itself. It's faster in summer to do so, as it;s warm and the black trim soaks up the sun, making it supple. In colder months, like now, it will take longer.

• Like 1

Do a night time journey, especially on a motorway. The difference is insane - it's like seeing in HD for the first time! Sadly, with all the grin n **** on our roads, new screens don't stay so nice for long :(

I'd love to put a new screen in mine, just because it's got nearly 89,000 miles worth of pitting and scuffs to it, but it's time and money at the end of the day. Yes, I can do it myself, but I still need to buy the glass and the trim, and then do it on a day off :(

Windscreen is in. Free Bosch wipers fitted. Free tax disc fitted. Just waiting until 15:30 for the sealant to stick. And I'll be on my way. I feel sad that I now have a Pilkington windscreen, where all the other windows are Lexus Stamped!?!

does the screen came with screen heating wire line? still puzzle insist on lexus screen or xxxx brand if i need to replace mine :geek:

Yes. When the autoglass guy came out to see if they could fill the chips and he couldn't, he ordered the new windscreen and spent a good couple of minutes ensuring that the replacement had the heating elements in.

Mine appeared to have a hands free receiver in the top left of the old windscreen. They tucked it into the headliner. Is this an aftermarket thingy? I'll try and remove it all over the weekend.

Aftermarket Stuart.

When I bought my car it had a hands free/mobile phone thingy attatched to the tax disc holder and a cable running into the engine bay, to the Battery with its own fuse attatched to it stuck down with gaffer tape. Looked like a right cowboy job. Literally the first thing I did when u got the car home was to rip all that out.

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

I have a quick question for you if you would be so kind :)

I been reading through this thread with interest as my Lex is a 1999 model with 170k on the clock she's an old girl now bless her and been around the block a bit in her time too so the screen has a chip on it and lots of little inperfections as expected.

Now reading your advice on it's best to keep the factory glass in there, I am fairly confident this is the original glass it has all the markings on it and the original Lexus dealer stickers at the top by the mirror but as I said because it's done so many miles it's quite hazy, I was wondering when I give the glass company a call to repair the chip (Through my insurance) if I am given the option do you think it would be a worth while benifit asking for a new screen to be fitted rather than repaired.

I was thinking due to the amounts of inperfections in it replacement might outweigh the hassle and *risk* of rattles etc. in having a nice clear screen?

Also the chip annoys me as it catches my eye (Not literally, that wouldn't be good obviously) if it was repaired would it still be visable?

Cheers!

Not wishing to answer on behalf of Matt-c, my is200 had 125000 and was still wearing her original windscreen. There were many additional scratches other than the three chips. The new screen is fantastic, though it doesn't have the lexus and made in japan stickers. I think someone said in another thread that in all likelihood, Lexus would simply use a similar company to fit the glass. They wouldn't ship a windscreen over from Japan.

Also, all creaking stopped within 24hours. No further issues to note at this moment.

You can request the screen be changed of course. A new screen, as Stuart says, is a fantastic improvement in visual clarity than the original; not because the glass is any different, but because the original is pitted and weathered. Mine is the same, and that's 87k.

As Stuart says, Lexus won't fit the screen for you, they will subcontract it out to the likes of Autoglass or other name brand windscreen company. They also won't import a "Japanese" windscreen for it (the glass isn 't likely to be made in Japan anyway), unless it's for an out of production model or a specific import. For example, I had an R32 Skyline on many years ago, which is of course, a Jap import. To get glass for that, since it's so out of production, is Nissan only, and for that particular model in that colour (glass tint colours vary from country to country; UK spec for example is green, whereas the JDM version is grey or bronze) meant the glass had to come from stock in Japan. Minimum 9 weeks (or as much as three months) wait for the slow boat shipping.

Hi guys , just got a quote from lexus about the new windscreen , 400 something pound! Which including labour and vat, sorry I forgot exactly number! , just wondering it this sound bout right ?

Why are you going to Lexus for a windscreen? They will only get auto glass or somebody like that to do the job.

Do you not have glass cover on your insurance? Most people do if your fully comprehensive. Windscreens should cost u nothing. I've had 3 replaced in my old cars over the years and never paid a penny.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links