Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Drive Over Speed Humps?

japthree

If I'm in a residential area with speed limit 30mph are the speed humps there for me to drive over at 30 or do I slow down, go over and speed up to 30 again; then repeat for next hump?

If I can go over them at 30 what makes me not go over them at 35 or 40?

Do you go over them with the car centred or one wheel on them?

Regards.

Most of the speed bumps where I live are situated in 20mph areas, Where possible I go a different way to avoid them but, if I don't have a choice I try to straddle them at an even lower speed. I don't like subjecting my car to unnecessary jolting. There are enough potholes around at the moment that we have to be aware of.

I also have to suffer these spring breakers on my estate which after a democratic survey rejected them were installed anyway apparently to prevent drivers performing a "Rat Run".

Funny thing is the estate has so many Cul-de-Sacs I still manage to get lost occasionally after living there for 16 years and like the rest of the road network even the road humps now have pot holes!

To help preserve my suspension components I slow to a crawl at each one and then accelerate between producing more exhaust emissions than a straight road.

So in answer to the question I personally would rather drive the front bucket of one of these through them than drive over them, :D

post-12144-0-53544100-1361741333.jpg

• Like 1

They are just installing 7 between here and the mother in laws (no jokes) and as my wife delivers dinners to here everyday it's less than half a mile I am going to have to save for some new suspension for the SC or find the best way to get gravy out of the car mats

Actually road humps have a use, we have them round here where i live i can not avoid them, they are full width of the road, TBH my lexus had a little bit of lope about it when i first got it, sorted out the tyre pressures, fixed a leaking one, shocks suspension fine no leaks, i noticed after i had been going over the road humps my car sits better on the road, it's a bit like a suspension work out every day, i go over gently, then a bit faster on the smaller ones, it sits level no lean, and more of a defined back to front lean rather than i looking like it's riding high a t the front, go try it.

I understand that some years back a London local authority was sued because their humps had damaged/delayed an ambulance reaching hospital which was a direct reason that the patient died

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depending on how bulbous the speed bump is, sometimes I slow right down to like almost 5mph and crawl over them. Occasionally, this annoys the motorist behind me. :P

But they ain't paying for my new shocks and wheel alignment are they?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There is a stretch of road near where I live, with 12 of those 1 metre X 1 metre 'traffic calming' humps,(one on each side of the lanes) due to weather damage over the last few Winters, plus Council -cuts, they are in a severely damaged state-so much so,that its risky to straddle them-or ride one wheel up the middle-either way-you have to be really careful how you drive over the damn things, off course,doing so,you always irritate the driver following you,because your making his or her journey longer by 0.05 seconds-and we can't have that,can we?.......

There is a stretch of road near where I live, with 12 of those 1 metre X 1 metre 'traffic calming' humps,(one on each side of the lanes) due to weather damage over the last few Winters, plus Council -cuts, they are in a severely damaged state-so much so,that its risky to straddle them-or ride one wheel up the middle-either way-you have to be really careful how you drive over the damn things, off course,doing so,you always irritate the driver following you,because your making his or her journey longer by 0.05 seconds-and we can't have that,can we?.......

Your all making this issue far to complicated, all one does is build speed up to around 100mph and you will sail over them without realising they are there. There is a bad side issue using this method and that is your MPG will come down dramatically.

Another useful motoring tip from Mike