Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Abandoned Is200 Reported To Dvla

The NHS won't do anything, they don't charge to park here and they haven't got any money to do anything about it. The Poloce said it's on Private land. They've had a couple of student evictions recently, I wounder if the owner was one of them? Hopefully the DVLA will reply soon and I can contact the owner and find out what his intentions are.

May I give you a word of warning be very very careful about taking possession of something you know not to be yours The owner by parking in the hospital car park is breaking no laws. The reason he/she may have for leaving it for so long could be many.

As has been suggested its best to contact the registered keeper before any further action is taken. However you could for a tenner check the cars history by putting the number into the likes of "Mycar" paying a tenner & getting its full history including if there's any outstanding finance

• Like 1

What a bizarre topic on a Lexus Owners forum. "I've seen a Lexus that's not been used for a few weeks so it's now mine?!" What what you feel if someone tried to take yours? It looks in far better condition than mine and I'm surprised the aerial is still there.

The owner has probably gone on a world cruise or extended golfing holiday, you know how much NHS staff are on these days.

Hi Lexmaniac and Jpac.

I do not intend to take the vehicle without the owners knowledge, this is why I am liaising with the Police, DVLA and NHS.

The vehicle has no tax. Tax ran out on 31/12/12. As it was a Lexus and in an NHS car park, I began to notice about two weeks into January, that the vehicle was not being moved. The car park security have no details of the vehicle, so we don't believe it is a member of staff and this area is not commonly used by patients.

If after 6 months, I cannot get a response from the owner, I don't know what I would do. I am not a vehicle dismantler, I do not have anywhere to remove the vehicle to. I am a support worker at the hospital.

I have posted this thread to ask for advice. I agree that if someone simply took my car I would be very annoyed. But I have not done this. This appears to be an abandoned vehicle on NHS property and I am attempting to contact the owner to ascertain what their intentions are.

Hi Lexmaniac and Jpac.

I do not intend to take the vehicle without the owners knowledge, this is why I am liaising with the Police, DVLA and NHS.

The vehicle has no tax. Tax ran out on 31/12/12. As it was a Lexus and in an NHS car park, I began to notice about two weeks into January, that the vehicle was not being moved. The car park security have no details of the vehicle, so we don't believe it is a member of staff and this area is not commonly used by patients.

If after 6 months, I cannot get a response from the owner, I don't know what I would do. I am not a vehicle dismantler, I do not have anywhere to remove the vehicle to. I am a support worker at the hospital.

I have posted this thread to ask for advice. I agree that if someone simply took my car I would be very annoyed. But I have not done this. This appears to be an abandoned vehicle on NHS property and I am attempting to contact the owner to ascertain what their intentions are.

1st let me say my post was simply a word of warning against getting too enthusiastic in your attempts to obtain possession of the car.

The law now states that ANY vehicle in a public place or any place funded by public money or where the public has access MUST comply with the legislation in that it MUST be insured AND taxed.

Such places include the following:-

The public road/highway

Car parks both hospital AND private

Social Housing which includes dwelling driveways

Private Land where at anytime throughout the year the public has access This includes Gymkhana, Fairs. Shows etc.

This will apply on the day the land is open to the public.

The point is the police ARE or should be involved as the owner by having no tax is contravening the law AND the local council or NHS could have it removed without any repercussions whatsoever. They could if they chose nominate any person to undertake that removal

Procedures the landowner must follow for the removal of vehicles on private land

Vehicles on private property can be removed by the Council provided that the following procedures have been carried out.

The vehicle has to be untaxed, and the DVLA will need to be contacted by the landowner to find out the name and address of the registered keeper. Every endeavour must be made by the landowner to trace the owner of the vehicle and request its removal from private property.

If the registered keeper cannot be found, then a notice may be placed on the vehicle by the land owner stating that if it is not removed from private property within 7 days then the vehicle will be taken away and disposed of.

The landowner can then request a Refuse Disposal Form from us to complete and return to Parking Services. This gives us the landowner’s permission to go on to their land to remove the vehicle.

Land owners may be asked to provide documentary proof that these procedures have been followed before we can act upon your request under the Refuse Disposal Amenity Act 1978.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response. I will speak with the NHS tomorrow to ask what they wish to do regarding this vehicle. The DVLA returned my correspondence on Saturday and have asked for written permission from the land owner to say that I am dealing with the issue of the abandoned car. They will not release the details of the registered owner otherwise.

Also be aware that some NHS car parks are not owned by the Hospital but by the company that enforces parking restriction. This transfer of property has been done to give the enforcement company legal standing should they decide to sue someone for breaching their parking restrictions.

Really intriguing to read through this thread, everybody loves a good mystery hey! Are you sure that the car hasn't been moved whatsoever? Seems silly that no authorities seem like they want to own it i.e. Police NHS Council etc.

It might be the case that whoever parked it there knows exactly what they're doing and simply doesn't want to tax or use the car for a while so have plodded it there hoping that nobody will notice.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a really interesting thread to read. Has there been any update on the abandoned Lexus within the last month?

Have the Police / DVLA managed to get hold of the legal owners of the car?

There's no way I could just park my car up for months and leave it, I love it too much, such a pleasure to drive.

• Like 1

Hi Guys. No update. I need written permission from this landowner (NHS) stating that I have their full permission to contact the owner of the vehicle, otherwise, the DVLA will not release any information. The vehicle is still there and gathering a good layer of dirt. Direct.gov appears to have the car as sorn, as the licence due date is 31/12/2013. Whereas the tax disc ran out on 31/12/2013. Am still on the case though.

Popping back to check this topic, probably a typo but quote "the tax disc ran out on 31/12/2013" is the end of this year.

If you are successful, I'm going to keep checking my local hospital, there's always some good Lexus' there.

Edit: It was originally reg'd in Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 18 09 2000 if that helps.

• Like 1

Thank you jpac. It was a typo. The Direct.gov website states that the vehicles licence is due to expire o 31/12/2013, but the tax disc in the car ran out on 31/12/2012. I'm guessing this means the vehicle is sorned as it has not moved since Jan 4th 2013. NHS is being slow I giving me wrotten permission to pursue this matter as it's not losing any money as we no longer have parking charges.

Thank you jpac. It was a typo. The Direct.gov website states that the vehicles licence is due to expire o 31/12/2013, but the tax disc in the car ran out on 31/12/2012. I'm guessing this means the vehicle is sorned as it has not moved since Jan 4th 2013. NHS is being slow I giving me wrotten permission to pursue this matter as it's not losing any money as we no longer have parking charges.

That sounds to me like it has been renewed online by the owner, who just hasn't been to the car to physically apply a new tax disc.

Equally if the car was listed as SORN, that is something the owner would have done too as it doesn't happen automatically if the tax runs out, if it was just left to expire, it would just say 'expired' or words to that effect.

Indeed. I find it odd if the owner has taxed the car and not moved it for four months. This is why I think the owner was not a ptie t at the hospital. It may have been SORNed, but I still don't know why it has been left in a hospital car park for 4 months!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The vehicle was not there on Monday. It has gone. I can only assume the owner either sold it, moved it, or found some money and taxed it. If the NHS were still charging to park cars on it's land, they would never have let that car sit there for 6 months.

Oh well . . . .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links