Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Filling Up To The Brim

I normally fill up when the light comes on and get about 50ltrs in. Today I didn't want to fill up on the motorway so waited till I got nearer home. This time the needle was right on the R marker but still I could only manage 55ltrs and that was filling up till the fuel stopped going down and couldn't get a drop more in. If the Lexus stated 64Ltrs is correct that's still leaves 9 in the tank with the needle on R and another 50 miles or so. Just wanted to share this so nobody panics when the needle hits R.

Assume you both use the Range info to be confident you wont grind to a halt as I have driven to 30 miles left but,as Tango says,

did not due the sums!

Tel

I do some mental calculations each time I fill up when near the 0 miles left indicator. My best estimate is that the light comes on when there is 8 litres (1.75 gallons) left. Depending on what I'm up to, that is 32-52 miles left. The most I have fitted in was 59.2 litres today, 17 miles after the light came on.

Having never run out of petrol; I don't know what would happen if I ran dry. Apart from the inevitable embarrassment and mockery from family and friends; would there be any damage to the engine or system? Has anyone out there done the walk of shame to a garage or called out Lexus Recovery?

Assume you both use the Range info to be confident you wont grind to a halt as I have driven to 30 miles left but,as Tango says,

did not due the sums!

Tel

Must admit I didn't think to look at the range. So does the range go to zero when the needle is on R?

R is arbitrary but Range takes account of driving style--------used Range many times but never drove a Lexus on Empty---too risky.

Tel

I assumed when the range hit 0 that was it, so have always filled up when the range was pretty low, 1 mile showing the worst, with needle firmly on the bottom. I never checked the official tank size, just assumed the car had a relatively small tank. Comforting tp know you'd have a little bit further.

The biggest pain I've found is I can leave the office without even a light on, but its come on on the way home and I've had the range reading less than I've got to go to get there. Careful driving has managed to keep the range at bay on they way back, but its always had the range showing 1-3 by the time I get to the ASDA, about a mile and half from my house. Oh my comute is only 25miles, mostly Motorway.

I assumed when the range hit 0 that was it, so have always filled up when the range was pretty low, 1 mile showing the worst, with needle firmly on the bottom. I never checked the official tank size, just assumed the car had a relatively small tank. Comforting tp know you'd have a little bit further.

The biggest pain I've found is I can leave the office without even a light on, but its come on on the way home and I've had the range reading less than I've got to go to get there. Careful driving has managed to keep the range at bay on they way back, but its always had the range showing 1-3 by the time I get to the ASDA, about a mile and half from my house. Oh my comute is only 25miles, mostly Motorway.

The tank is 64Ltrs so when you fill up at a range of 1 how many ltrs do you get in?

Just had the range at zero and filled up, on the strength of what you guys were saying I might add, would have never risked it otherwise. result, tank took a little over 56 litres

Just had the range at zero and filled up, on the strength of what you guys were saying I might add, would have never risked it otherwise. result, tank took a little over 56 litres

So about 8ltrs left, approx. 45 miles to get refilled from range zero. That's good to know. Thanks for all the inputs :)

• 8 months later...