Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have always used Supermarket fuel in the UK & Branded on the Continent & am pleased with the MPG to date.

However,was informed last week that the latest BP 95 can give a 10% improvement on SM fuels albeit 3p/litre dearer-------worth trying??

Tel

I tried (unscientifically) experimenting in a few years back in a WRX Sti, comparing V-Power with standard Shell. I appeared to be getting 4-5% better fuel consumption, which balanced out the 4-5% extra cost. Therfore the proposition seemed to be bonus power at no extra cost. I've used V-Power ever since and my IS-F has drunk only that since I bought it. I haven't tried to repeat the experiement.

When I was last in the Netherlands, in pre-ISF days unfortunately, I found to my horror that V-Power was only 95RON. I had just filled up for a blast into Germany, so was left with a tank to burn off before refilling with some of the decent 100RON German stuff. I believe they have re-branded since, so the lesson for me is check the RON before filling up; don't rely on the brand name.

I've always used standard supermarket stuff in the F, because thats all it requires ie 95 Octane.

I had a Mk5 Golf Gti back in 2006 for a couple of years, and it was supposed to run on 98 being an FSI, which is what I put in it esso super or shell optimax as it used to be called. When we changed fuel supplier at work, I was restricted to the local texaco garage, rather than using my esso card, so had to put 95 in. Result......2mpg on average less. 30mpg became 28mpg.

Thanks MrW; your experience matches mine. An increase from 28 to 30 is just over 7% improvement, and therefore seems worthwhile.

I have a memory, possibly from Autocar who ran tests a few years back, that modern turbo engines (GTI, WRX Sti etc) made some of the best gains from super fuel. I didn't take note about any conclusions for big normally aspirated ones. It may be time for another experiment.

However a big mpg gain I made last year was not to automatically press the sport button. There are times when I'm happy wafting along in normal, especially on motorways.That change in habit was worth a 10% increase and the contrast when I press the 'mad' button brings extra satisfaction.

I also keep telling myself 'if you are obsessing about mpg, why the hell didn't you buy a diesel?'. That usually provokes a burst of full throttle to feel the noise.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links