Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

i think you get a bit further than 2/3 as far Jon but otherwise it's a fair summary. (It's72 hundredths as far)

I would like an answer from the technical types on here as to whether LPG installations can safely be leaned off to give the consumption that others are obviously achieving.

Mike

Hi Mike

It is more complicated than leaning the mixture a bit - there are commercial ECU remappers who advertise a 20% improvement in fuel economy if you have them work on your car.

I put an external chip (connected to the ODI port) on my car for a few months and it had minimal effect - it just seemed to get hot so I removed it.

Bren

Hi Bren, I seem to remember one of the main TV channels did a programe reviewing many of these Snake Oil products some time ago and not one of them worked. They came to the conclusion that if it was possible manufacturers would have included it in their building specs years ago. Mike.

I think you'll find that many manufactures were going to supply new dual fuel cars this included Land Rover who about 6-7years were in talks with government The government, in their wisdom, discouraged the idea because if other manufactures followed suit & it caught on with the public (which it would) it would mean a substantial drop in tax revenue. The only manufacturer who I recall did offer dual fuel was Vauxhall but they have dropped it

Volvo & Saab also offered it and you right about the U turn the government did, their loss our gain.

Mike

Ford, Proton, and Nissan as well I think.

I certainly had a Y reg Primera that was an official conversion, though I believe they came off the line as standard cars, and the conversion was contracted out.

• Like 1

Yep Boris has now made it so you have to pay the congestion charge with an LPG vehicle now(as they can run on petrol). Electric cars run on coal & a prius runs on petrol most of the time. All I can say is Idiot.

Yep Boris has now made it so you have to pay the congestion charge with an LPG vehicle now(as they can run on petrol). Electric cars run on coal & a prius runs on petrol most of the time. All I can say is Idiot.

When did they alter that for for LPG ? Mike

2 years ago comes into effect next month. For vans aswell so all the companies being green & running lpg vans will go back to diesel, Well done Boris

Congestion revenue must be down

And London's going to smell like a giant chip shop when they all start using USED vegetable oil

On the question of LPG conversion, having had quotes from Profess and Leeds LPG I finally got to talk to a chap at Battersea Autogas who gave me a quote for a respectable £1300, not at all bad for a London based company and more convenient for me for future maintenance.

The questions I am left with are:

Is the Levato brand equipment they want to use any good as I have never heard of this company, and

Do I really need 'flashlube' as that adds a further £200 to the bill.

What do the LPG converts think, any opinions/advise appreciated as always.

Out of interest they will position the filler wherever I want it even behind the petrol filler flap, but to save any future issues I think i'll go for the rear bumper location just rearward of the driverside rear mudflap.

Looks like I might get my car gassed this year after all!

Hi Keith

I'm glad to see you are going to convert to LPG - a great move that you will not regret. I have my gas filler next to the petrol filler - this is the most convenient place for it. Why do you want to bend down to the back bumper when you fill up? I am fat and old so it is a consideration for me. Also your bumper (or anywhere low down) is the first place to get bumped so you may be putting your filler in a vulnerable place. Also LPG pumps can be a pain to connect so having the hole low down will only add to any

difficulty.

Good luck

Bren

Bren

If you have a look at eBay item 221200150745 in particular the close up side view that shows the LPG filler cap I am trying to avoid the rusty scabs clearly visible.

On the question of LPG conversion, having had quotes from Profess and Leeds LPG I finally got to talk to a chap at Battersea Autogas who gave me a quote for a respectable £1300, not at all bad for a London based company and more convenient for me for future maintenance.

The questions I am left with are:

Is the Levato brand equipment they want to use any good as I have never heard of this company, and

Do I really need 'flashlube' as that adds a further £200 to the bill.

What do the LPG converts think, any opinions/advise appreciated as always.

Out of interest they will position the filler wherever I want it even behind the petrol filler flap, but to save any future issues I think i'll go for the rear bumper location just rearward of the driverside rear mudflap.

Looks like I might get my car gassed this year after all!

Hi Keith

I'm glad to see you are going to convert to LPG - a great move that you will not regret. I have my gas filler next to the petrol filler - this is the most convenient place for it. Why do you want to bend down to the back bumper when you fill up? I am fat and old so it is a consideration for me. Also your bumper (or anywhere low down) is the first place to get bumped so you may be putting your filler in a vulnerable place. Also LPG pumps can be a pain to connect so having the hole low down will only add to any

difficulty.

Good luck

Bren

Bren

If you have a look at eBay item 221200150745 in particular the close up side view that shows the LPG filler cap I am trying to avoid the rusty scabs clearly visible.

Mine is fitted down on the bumper so avoiding that bubble rust which only occurs because they didnt make sure that there was some rust proofing on the bare metel where they had drilled the hole out. Mike.

• 1 year later...

On the question of flashlube, I know of an SC430 owner on LPG who is facing a huge bill after two exhaust valve seats were damaged. A reputable LPG fitter tells me that the LS400 engine has hardened seats and does not need flashlube but the 430 engine has a different head and does. And just because you've run without flashlube for 60,000 miles so far doesn't mean the next 60,000 are gong to be trouble free - the damage is progressive. But if you like Russian Roulette..........................!

On the question of flashlube, I know of an SC430 owner on LPG who is facing a huge bill after two exhaust valve seats were damaged. A reputable LPG fitter tells me that the LS400 engine has hardened seats and does not need flashlube but the 430 engine has a different head and does. And just because you've run without flashlube for 60,000 miles so far doesn't mean the next 60,000 are gong to be trouble free - the damage is progressive. But if you like Russian Roulette..........................!

If what you say is true then all 430 owners should be putting in a lead additive because the valve seatings are to soft. I don't know of any 430 owner that has to do that. The Flashlube is as outdated as as the horse and cart. Mike

To the best of my knowledge what I have said is true. And, yes, all 430 owners should be using flashlube - or preparing for a possible big bill after 80,000 miles or so. But up to you.........................

To the best of my knowledge what I have said is true. And, yes, all 430 owners should be using flashlube - or preparing for a possible big bill after 80,000 miles or so. But up to you.........................

I should have said that the additive should go in with the petrol my mistake. I have run cars on LPG for over 16 years and I have never on any of those cars ever had a Flashlube system fitted. I still know of 3 of the cars all of which have got galactic LPG mileage on. Modern engines all have hardened valve seats so there is no need for them this includes the 430. If you have burnt out valves then its because of another problem with the heads and not the fuel that's being used. Anyone that sells you a Flashlube system these days is taking you for a mug. Mike

All I can add is thanks for all this info, as I'm contemplating an LPG car.

P.S. That ebay bit doesn't work (pic of rust)

Don't waste another petrol mile get LPGd as quick as poss. Its nicer on your engine as it doesn't have the pollutants that petrol has and its even nicer on the environment because its almost fresh air that comes out of the exhaust and finally its really really really nice on your wallet. Mike.

I read elsewhere a comment that an lpg car was 'needing its tank replaced soon'.

Is this part of lpg owning? Does the tank need attention?

Off to look at lpg provision in Spain......

I saw that and have never ever heard of that before unless someone has damaged it and they take some damaging, they are not like a flimsy petrol tank. Too many pub LPG professors who don't know the first thing about LPG and just end up spreading a load of bovine excrement. Mike.

I read elsewhere a comment that an lpg car was 'needing its tank replaced soon'.

I saw that and have never ever heard of that before unless someone has damaged it and they take some damaging, they are not like a flimsy petrol tank. Too many pub LPG professors who don't know the first thing about LPG and just end up spreading a load of bovine excrement. Mike.

Mike been trying to PM you but cannot send message, could you check to see if your inbox is full please?

Mike been trying to PM you but cannot send message, could you check to see if your inbox is full please?

Hi Steve, there were only 6 messages in their and have cleared them so try now, if not let me know and I will send you my email. Mike

i think youll find not all cars have hardend valves, i bought a honda accord three years ago with the intention of gassing it,only to be informed that the valves are soft and even with the flashlube they would eventuly be damaged,as for the lpg tank,i think they have to be checked after so many years along with the rest of the system and a new certifacate issued

i think youll find not all cars have hardend valves, i bought a honda accord three years ago with the intention of gassing it,only to be informed that the valves are soft and even with the flashlube they would eventuly be damaged,as for the lpg tank,i think they have to be checked after so many years along with the rest of the system and a new certifacate issued

How have these cars managed to run on Unleaded petrol for so long. The valve seats need to be hardened to be able to use it. If what you say is true then you should have been using only Leaded petrol or put an additive in with the petrol each time you put unleaded petrol in. As for the tank. There are no laws that insist your systems are checked periodically, they have been talking for the last 4 years about bringing in a safety check when the MOT takes place but it has never happened. So the answer is no, no periodic checks are needed.

mike,if you think about it running on petrol preduces carbon which protects the valves to a certain extent,lpg is hotter and remove carbon from your engine(valves)over time,hence the damage to some engines over a very long period,i've had two ls400's converted to lpg in the past and both required certificates for insurances purpose's, and a new certifacate had to be issued after so many years,but your right sbout about the ls400,it has hardend valves and dosnt require flashlube,i've been humming and harring about having my lexus gassed, think i might bite the bullet and go for it

I've temporarily postponed installing an LPG system. I had a Mercedes which had a tank probably fourteen years old.

I updated the valve to the tank after twelve years and it looked fine inside and outside.

I have a four hole Stako tank kitted out and awaiting installation. Its never been used, but the manufacture date on the card is 2005. There's nothing on the tank itself date wise, but am I to be ruled out using it?

It may be that later cars than mine had less hard valves. The Merc 1996 model, owner told me he had the valves changed at 180k - just in case, so resarch on softer valves if you can find any, may be worth doing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links