Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Drain

Bumble

I have the same problem so thank you for posting this issue. I hope we get a reply. I have bought a solar panel to put on the dashboard see if that solves my problem. I will let you know if it does.

i did try one of those but it still drained.i will be interested to know how yours does

By any chance do you guys have a tracker fitted?

Hi Steve

i havent had one fitted,how would i know and where would i find it if it had been fitted by previous owner

thanks Ady

Trouble with Trackers is that they are normally well hidden for security reasons and can be placed almost anywhere in the car.

The supplying dealer may know but may not be able to disclose the information the same goes for the manufacture of the Tracker.

Any decent garage should be able to measure the parasitic current draw when the car is stood ( I know from experience the AA check this when presented with Battery charging problems).

From what I have read the SC will draw around 100mA standard and 3-400mA with a tracker fitted.

Lexus have also in the past mentioned that unless driven daily this model does suffer Battery discharge problems so the fault is quite well known.

The day we brought ours we had to have a jump start lol, went straight to get our Battery checked and one the cells wasn't working, so needed to purchase a new Battery! I did read some reviews before I brought the car from quite few people saying they had needed jump starts when their cars been left for holidays at the airport!!! I'm just thankful I can't fit all the cases in the boot this year!!! Ha ha - hope you find the answer x

Easiest way of checking if you have a grounded live is to disconnect the positive terminal from the Battery and use a multimeter or ammeter to measure any current drain (connect meter to Battery + terminal and the connector you've taken off).

If it shows a high drain, identify the problem circuit by keeping the meter connected and removing (and replacing) each fuse in the box until you find the one on the problem circuit.

I have a similar problem on my IS200 at the moment, but suspect the Battery so taking it to be checked before further investigation.

Edit: It was the Battery on the IS200, so new Battery for £87.00 fixed it, but similar problem on my daughters Corsa was traced by using the above method to a grounded live wire on the radio/hazard warning circuit.

Being an ex-biker I am used to going into the garage and encountering a flat Battery so I tend to leave the Battery on trickle charge with Optimate (or similar) while the car is stored for the winter. It keeps the Battery in a permanently conditioned state so less chance of going flat with irregular use.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did drain when it was driven home after being in a garage getting repaired for 3 weeks (unexpected trip into a very deep muddy pig field after hitting a river on the road) got it home fine but wouldn't start next day. Just topped the Battery up with a trickle charger overnight.. Its been fine since.... I often leave it in the garage for long periods as I don't use it every day and have another car (Jag with 4 wheel drive) that gets used most of the time..

I also left the 430 SC in a car park at LHR for nearly two weeks a few weeks ago and it was fine on return. I do think there is a lot of load on the Battery I think the 430n has as much BHP in electric motors etc than it has for the road (slight exaggeration) so its best not to leave it for weeks and weeks and to make sure auxiliaries are off when parked etc.

Loved the bit about using a solar panel on the dash.... Bit optimistic I would have thought if there really was a problem.

So today I've tried three suitcases in the boot and they fit so I'm going to drive and park at the airport this summer, concerned now though regarding Battery drain - although I assume airport on site carparks would have someone to assist if we need this? seems silly that can't park a car for two weeks without worrying it will restart again :(

So today I've tried three suitcases in the boot and they fit so I'm going to drive and park at the airport this summer, concerned now though regarding battery drain - although I assume airport on site carparks would have someone to assist if we need this? seems silly that can't park a car for two weeks without worrying it will restart again :(

Yes the boot is surprisingly accommodating isn't it. It looks quite small but the boot lid is curved and its very useful. I left my 430Sc at LHR for 12 days and no problem. I usually do meet and greet as its much more convenient. Once I had my sons gold at Manchester airport and it didn't start thy started it for me with a batter on a stick !! I wouldn't worry Chelle ... If its LHR I recommend Edward Lloyd meet and greet..

No it's gatwick and I always stay the on site car park where I take my keys, ive seen many dispatcher watchdog programmes where nice cars have been used for weddings etc!!!! I like to park my own car and know no one else is gonna be sitting in my car lol. But peace of mind that they will be someone around to jump start if need be :)

• 2 weeks later...

2 problems have caused flat batteries for me;

1. Boot wasn't closed properly so the light was on over night. Bit obvious, but easy to miss.

2. Alarm can get triggered by internet signals in the area (my neighbours have similar problems occasionally with their cars too).

Worth checking whether either might an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

No it's gatwick and I always stay the on site car park where I take my keys, ive seen many dispatcher watchdog programmes where nice cars have been used for weddings etc!!!! I like to park my own car and know no one else is gonna be sitting in my car lol. But peace of mind that they will be someone around to jump start if need be :)

Easy to check the mileage if its used but Edward Lloyd are excellent and reliable and cheaper than leaving the car in a car park I have used them for years sometimes 6 times a year. Just returned from Singapore and Thailand after a two week holiday my Lexus was left in the garage at home as I used the Jag to LHR..

Just been out to check the 430 this morning and the Battery is flat again. That's about 3 weeks without use. I have just put it on charge. While in use even only twice a week about 50 miles a day. It seemed fine but now I am concerned. I am beginning to think the BM who said its common after 2 or 3 weeks may be right and others have changed the Battery with no improvement. Also When putting mine on charge it is charging at the right rate as far as I can tell. So that indicates the Battery is OK to take and hold its charge. Looks like there is drain over time (about 3 weeks). One problem could be the seat heater switches as they are so easy to knock and not notice. I hope they are inactive with the ignition switch off !! I am just going to check !!!

It wasn't the heater switches. Just read somewhere that its often the Mark Levison Amp that does have a current drain. But it should last well over three weeks unless the Battery is sulphated in some way. Just charged mine and I am going to try a load test with a multi meter (using the starter or all the lights and gizmos !!.)/

Just read this, and it will almost certainly be your ML amp. You may also find your radio starts playing tricks on you, such volume going high, unable to change bass/treble or the sound may go completely.

If you listen carefully with your head in the boot, you'll hear a small fan on the ML Amp whizzing round without any keys in the ignition and you will also feel the heat in the boot area just above where the satnav disk goes.

Replacing is easy, but involves stripping out most of the trim.

Find an ML amp is the tricky bit - £1700 from Lexus.

Check breakers yards, or purchase a used one from the US via eBay.

I did the US via eBay thing, $300 it cost me plus some VAT when it arrived here.

Mine had been refurbished by ML and the unit re-sealed so it should last forever this time.

It was a known manuf. fault and Lexus did replace many of these on warranty.

Just read this, and it will almost certainly be your ML amp. You may also find your radio starts playing tricks on you, such volume going high, unable to change bass/treble or the sound may go completely.

If you listen carefully with your head in the boot, you'll hear a small fan on the ML Amp whizzing round without any keys in the ignition and you will also feel the heat in the boot area just above where the satnav disk goes.

Check breakers yards, or purchase a used one from the US via ebay.

I did the US via ebay thing, $300 it cost me plus some VAT when it arrived here.

Mine had been refurbished by ML and the unit re-sealed so it should last forever this time.

Thanks for that.. I will investigate..

Check breakers yards, or purchase a used one from the US via ebay.

I did the US via ebay thing, $300 it cost me plus some VAT when it arrived here.

Been driving the car no problem since reporting the last issue. Cant hear anything in the boot nor is there any heat source. Everything on the car works fine. I just have this nagging doubt now that if it is left for over two weeks the Battery will be dead. 7 days no problem. 10 days ?? Not sure.

• 1 month later...

Me too, been to Tarragona south of Barcelona for only 5 days and the SC430 would'nt start but my merc did.

Luxury/ top end my arse, Lexus sort it out, your supposed to be top of the range not top of the pain in the arse, you need to look after retro customers because they are tomorrows customers!!

not good enough!!!

sort it!!!

Me too, been to Tarragona south of Barcelona for only 5 days and the SC430 would'nt start but my merc did.

Luxury/ top end my arse, Lexus sort it out, your supposed to be top of the range not top of the pain in the arse, you need to look after retro customers because they are tomorrows customers!!

not good enough!!!

sort I

That's got to be draining quite quickly mine lasts about two weeks at least. Must be something wrong...