Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Upgrades For Is200?

is153

What upgrades can I do to my is200 for more power? After a quick look I can see I want to remove the stock intake setup and fit a 6 2 1 manifold and fit a manifold back exhaust (3 cats wtf lol) and after looking around I see these cant be remaped unless an after market ecu is fitted so after I do the above what can I do other that turbo?

Thanks

Or rip the lump out, and slot a 1JZ-GTE engine in it (2.5, straight 6, twin turbo, stock power 280bhp). Could use a 2JZ-GTE (3L, I6, TT, same power) from the Supra; IS300 shared the same block, but sans turbo's, so not much point using the 300's GE, might as well use the GTE.

• Like 1

Or rip the lump out, and slot a 1JZ-GTE engine in it (2.5, straight 6, twin turbo, stock power 280bhp). Could use a 2JZ-GTE (3L, I6, TT, same power) from the Supra; IS300 shared the same block, but sans turbo's, so not much point using the 300's GE, might as well use the GTE.

Would thay be plug and play or need a lot of work on fitting?

I noticed theres not a lot of parts for the is200 is there any company that has off the shelf low comp pistons?

It's not plug and play, no. Unless you're competent at engine swaps, wiring, plumbing, then you'd need a garage to do the work for you. Have a word with IKE Engineering, who have done, and do, parts for turbo charging IS engines.

Me personally, I'd be quite happy with a little OEM-style turbo conversion; just a smallish T25/T28 turbo, low boost (7 or 8 psi) and a solid 230/240ish bhp with a few engine mods. But you're still looking at £5k for that. So for the same sort of money, pull it out, and slot in a rebuilt 1JZ-GTE... That's where I'd put my money

What upgrades can I do to my is200 for more power? After a quick look I can see I want to remove the stock intake setup and fit a 6 2 1 manifold and fit a manifold back exhaust (3 cats wtf lol) and after looking around I see these cant be remaped unless an after market ecu is fitted so after I do the above what can I do other that turbo?

Thanks

Hi mate not sure if you have already started modding your IS200 yet but if you havent have you considered upgrading to the IS300? bolt ons like manifolds decating wont yeild a lot of power from the naturally aspirated engine maybe 10-20bhp if you lucky. a super charger will bring the IS200 to around 210 -225bhp which is what the IS300 pushes out in stock form and for anything above that figure you will have to do the engine swap so if i was in your shoes i will start with the IS300 first and see if the power is enough in stock form and in my opinion its enough performance for day to day driving and taking on 6 sec Turbo hothatches ocassionally which it doesnt fail to deliver. by getting an IS300 will save you the hassle of modding the IS200 to yeild pretty much the same power figures as the IS300 and might even work out cheaper as IS300's are now going for around £2000 so if you part ex your IS200 you will only pay a small amount for an IS300. if and when you feel you need more power then you can Turbo the IS300 with a kit from SRT in US. will cost you around £4500 but its a complete kit and will chuck out between 450-500bhp from the IS300 engine in my opinion, thats enough power one will need on any road. but take my word for it the IS300 in stock form does deliver and in real worl performace it comfortably owns or keeps up with anything weighing around its car weight capacity between 200 - 300bhp. in my books a car which can keep up with a 2006 Audi S3 is a rapid car and the IS300 did. so you do have a lot of options to consider with regards to boosting your IS200 or doing engine swaps for the GTE specs but worth considering the stock IS300 first along with upgrade brakes and maybe suspension and see if its enough for you. i recon its a cheaper option.

http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/item.aspx?id=10

just my two cents

Well sorry noby but im not the type to argue, (even tho i like to get the popcorn out now and again) but a 2006 S3, you cant be serious? are you sure your not just merely keeping up with the traffic? you cant assume ppl are constantly red lining there cars... ( except when you see a diesel failing miserably with a cloud of black smoke behind it off course :lol:)

because on paper it just doesnt add up. However i am only speculating as ive never been in or driven a IS300 but even new member on here dont rate them to be "fast"

• Like 2

I guess ive been in and driven some really fast cars E55 AMG, Porsche 911 Turbo, Dodge Charger SRT8... so takes alot to impress me lol. can imagine the IS300 has alot of high end power tho where most tuned 4 pots will run out of puff. my friend has a type R and the torque just isnt there

I guess ive been in and driven some really fast cars E55 AMG, Porsche 911 Turbo, Dodge Charger SRT8... so takes alot to impress me lol. can imagine the IS300 has alot of high end power tho where most tuned 4 pots will run out of puff

you might be right mate.. even tho they are Turbo i guess they have to work maybe a bit more compared to a larger displacement engine with slightly lower bhp but with more cylinders.. the The 2JZ single or twin Turbo upgrade sounds good but i personally havent got to the point where i think geez i need more power or only if i had more power! so you might be right maybe the Audi S3 wasnt redlining but only the driver will know.

I would totally agree that the IS300 has more than enough power to please and satisfy most, myself included, its certainly not a slow car.... but its not force you to the back of your seat type stuff

I have toyed with the idea of a IS300 but does it really do similar MPG if driven PROPERLY ? lol

@Petay

It does mate! my previous car was a ford Cougar V6 which has similar official town and combined MPG figures as the IS200 and I am filling up the IS300 with the same amount i filled up the Cougar with on weekly basis if that gives you a clue.. oh and coming to your mates Type R, a Type R does have Torque but because it comes in at around 6000rpm that small tourque is being generated by the engine quicker because the engine is spinning faster at 6000rpm so power to the wheels will be more with help of gear ratios. bhp figure is derived from torque and if theType R can make 200bhp then the engine is certainly generating ample torque to the front wheels.

go

to see the 196NM torque Civic Type R vs the 320NM torque Turbo charged Focus ST. from the sound of the engine i can tell the Type R is not turbo'ed just the VTEC sound. as you can see the Civic is almost doubling that small torque figure because the engine is being spun faster. spin it fast and you can transmit that small tourque figure quicker to the wheels.

@Petay

It does mate! my previous car was a ford Cougar V6 which has similar official town and combined MPG figures as the IS200 and I am filling up the IS300 with the same amount i filled up the Cougar with on weekly basis if that gives you a clue.. oh and coming to your mates Type R, a Type R does have Torque but because it comes in at around 6000rpm that small tourque is being generated by the engine quicker because the engine is spinning faster at 6000rpm so power to the wheels will be more with help of gear ratios. bhp figure is derived from torque and if theType R can make 200bhp then the engine is certainly generating ample torque to the front wheels.

go

to see the 196NM torque Civic Type R vs the 320NM torque Turbo charged Focus ST. from the sound of the engine i can tell the Type R is not turbo'ed just the VTEC sound. as you can see the Civic is almost doubling that small torque figure because the engine is being spun faster. spin it fast and you can transmit that small tourque figure quicker to the wheels.

This is interesting stuff, thanks.

and you drive your IS300 good and proper yes? because someone on here said they have a heavy foot and get around 15mpg

i have had mine for about 14 months now and I have never returned 15mpg even when driving in town i think the lowest i have got is 18mpg all from working it out manually based on gallons bought against miles travelled. best i have got is 33mpg I am trying to reach 40mpg one day tho but i dont think the OP is interested in mpg so i will stop spamming now. :)

Ive got no ideas that the is200 is a fast car in fact I know my little mk4 fiesta will rip it a new ***** hole in everyway but im not looking to have 500bhp in the is200 becuase I know what will happen ill spin the car and crash, im only looking to have between 250bhp and 300bhp max but I dont want a automatic gearbox, so whats the best options for me thanks?

Your going to spend a hell of a lot of money trying to get 250bhp from a 1GFE engine. Even supercharged your looking at 220bhp... turbo maybe 250-280bhp I've read but that's pushing it and spending obscene monies!! £5k+

As for 300bhp.... Forget it :lol:

Ive got no ideas that the is200 is a fast car in fact I know my little mk4 fiesta will rip it a new ***** hole in everyway but im not looking to have 500bhp in the is200 becuase I know what will happen ill spin the car and crash, im only looking to have between 250bhp and 300bhp max but I dont want a automatic gearbox, so whats the best options for me thanks?

for 250 - 300 bhp, 1JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GE(Turbo) or 2JZ-GTE single or twin turbo setup, 3UZ-FE V8 . so sounds like you will need an engine swap mate. about automatic i always thought automatic boxes were slow to react and sap more engine power but i thought i'll give one a go after driving manuals in all my previous cars and wanted a change for ounce. and I can say there is no day i drive this autobox either in D mode or M mode and think, gosh i need a manual not this box mate. am still a hardcore manual box lover but i think it depends on the car one is driving. dont get me wrong a manual box will always give the driver full control of the engine with regards to putting power down but the M mode does a preety good job of helping you select the highest gear you want. e.g. when am approaching a tight corner or turn in spirited driving i can slot the box in 2nd gear same as any manual car can do and we will both have the best torque to exit that corner so in other words it can drive like a manual car if you want to without clutching down to drop down or move up the next gear. but hey everyone has thier preference so you can always use a Supra getrag manual gearbox to go with your upgrades as that takes over 300bhp for sure.

Don't make a slow car fast, buy a fast car instead.

That said, IS200 with a bit more performance wouldn't be a bad thing, but as Chris said, you're gonna be spending £5k for 240/260bhp by turbocharging the 1G lump; that money would be better off putting into fitting an engine that was designed to do that power from the off.

I still pertain, that a 1JZ-GTE lump (2.5 I6 twin-turbo) from a Soarer, would be an ideal candidate for a subtle engine swap. Many say go for the 2JZ, because they've seen the Fast & Furious, but the 1JZ made 280bhp and 270lb/ft of torque - more than enough for an IS.

However, I've no idea what is needed for fitting (ie, fabrication of engine mounts, bell housings, etc) or if the engine is easily obtainable, in which case a 2JZ lump might be more common to get hold of, but will carry a higher price tag due to the name stamped on the block.

As for gearboxes, for once (and I'm as shocked as all of you are) I actually agree with Knobby - it does kinda depend on the car you're driving and how you're driving it. I didn't want an auto when I was looking at IS', and after driving a couple of auto 200's decided I wasn't impressed and went for the 6sp manual box instead. After living with the car for about 8 months, my driving style has changed, and I'm really tempted to get an auto IS now. As I've said before, it's not a detraction from the manual IS box - the 6sp in the 200 is one of, if not THE nicest manual boxes I've ever driven, but I drive the IS differently than I do to previous cars, and I think it would, and I would, be more suited to an auto. That said, I didn't like the 4sp auto in the 200's, so if I was to change, I'd have to go for the 5sp auto in the 300, which I haven't driven, but everyone who has, has told me it's a really nice auto box.

With all that said, I would kinda get the impression if you're looking to do an engine swap or turbo conversion with an IS, you're more likely to want that manual 6sp box than an auto, and I'd be inclined to agree with you, so if I were you, I'd be looking for an IS200 Sport (might as well) which only came with the 6sp manual box, then swap the engine to either a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE, both giving you 280bhp out the box. But be prepared for the bill, which won't be cheap as each engine conversion will require custom fabrication, wiring, etc etc.

Would be a great car though!

Your going to spend a hell of a lot of money trying to get 250bhp from a 1GFE engine. Even supercharged your looking at 220bhp... turbo maybe 250-280bhp I've read but that's pushing it and spending obscene monies!! £5k+

As for 300bhp.... Forget it :lol:

Gt25 turbo + decomp plate plus needed extras should easily see 250bhp, gt28 turbo + low comp pistons plus needed extras easy 300bhp.

Or is this engine ****er than a 1.7 4 piston vct zetec-se engine and there really ****....

"Don't make a slow car fast, buy a fast car instead."

and for once i will have to agree with mat on the above statement. although i might know one or two things about cars and modding, am a novice when it comes to Turboing and wiring but thats not saying i dont know how a Turbo engine works. I needed more power from my V6 ford Cougar so rather than spend ££'s modding the ford Duratec engine which is a capable engine as seen in the Noble M12 or going for IS200 and modding it, I decided to go the cheaper option and part ex my Cougar for the IS300 with respectable 210bhp already under the hood from factory paid a small fee for the IS after part ex and job was done no messing with modding. on paper the performance figures of Cougar and IS300 are similar but the IS300 wins hands down it accelerates better, it corners better, consumes the same fuel, it stops better and drives better even with an auto and 2 more doors to its name compared to the V6 Cougar. I gave the same advise to another member on here looking to make thier IS200 a bit faster by advising, them to get an already quick fast car from factory like Subaru WRX , Mazda MPS i mean, these already factory boosted cars are good for 5 - 6 secs 0-60 and and 03-04 plate could be picked up for £3000 - £4000, or go for bigger displacement cars like IS300 or even jump ship for BMW 330i, Audi A4 3.0 quattro if you like those brands and all within £2000 - £4000 budget and will take an extremly powerful car maybe 300+ bhp and a good driver to run away from these cars in a challenge. in my opinion, these cars have enough performance to handle everyday driving and taking on most. but hey dont let this put you off if you still want to keep the IS200 and do the turbo upgrades then by all means go for it as its your car and money..