Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drive An X5 And You Won't Go Back To Lexus!

The-Acre

What is it about a Lexus that makes them so much better than the rest? Today I borrowed a friends 05 plate BMW X5. He said "When you've driven it you won't want to go back to your Lexus" My LS is 6 years older than his X5 but apart from the price difference there's no way I would swop. It just doesn't compare. I know it's a different type of vehicle and all that but the quality just wasn't the same. And the LS equipment much much better. Glad of the experience though, it's made me appreciate what I've got more.

I was however very grateful for the loan!

Phil

I know what you mean, I swapped my old is200 for a merc clk as id always loved the look of them. Once i got one i drove it for 2 days and then sold it and bought another lexus. No comparison.

No offence to BMW owners/lovers but if Rolls Royce couldnt refine thier engines to beat the 1989 - 2000 1UZ-FE V8 engine then what chance does a V8 BMW engine have with regards to refinement?? hopefully it wasnt a diesel model as that would even be worser.

No offence to BMW owners/lovers but if Rolls Royce couldnt refine thier engines to beat the 1989 - 2000 1UZ-FE V8 engine then what chance does a V8 BMW engine have with regards to refinement?? hopefully it wasnt a diesel model as that would even be worser.

Ah, funny you should say that, it was a diesel. I'm not saying for a minute it was bad, just not as good.

I've driven an X5 and thought it was amazing! Much better than my IS200! If an LS is in a different league to the X5 then that's seriously impressive!

To be fair I've not driven a petrol X5, but I can't imagine it could be better than the silkyness of the LS. I also found the transmission was not as smooth. Just my opinion on the whole experience, and maybe it would be a fairer to compare the X5 to the RX?

to be fair these cars arent comparable, both designed for different purposes... especially being a diesel. However saying that i still think you'd say the same if you drove a 745 :whistling:

to be fair these cars arent comparable, both designed for different purposes... especially being a diesel. However saying that i still think you'd say the same if you drove a 745 :whistling:

True, I did drive a 7 series BMW, still didn't come close though.

I just gotta say my Rolls Royce Silver Spirit is nowhere near as good to to drive as my GS450h, 12 years apart in manufacture but 50 years apart in drive experience.

I think the only car that would be as good or better than a LS (or even a GS by the sounds) is a Bentley Mulsanne. It has 752lb ft of torque at 1750RPM! I bet that thing runs like silk, barley ticking over most of the time....

I don't think the X5 is a great drive and build quality feels cheap ish. Thing is, all new cars feel cheap IMO.

Drove a 2006 IS last week and it felt worse than my old IS.

Hi totally agree the whole idea about comparison is you compare like with like,how about comparing Rooney with Ferdinand?????

Mickey Rooney...???? :devil:

True, I did drive a 7 series BMW, still didn't come close though.

So... I guess I'm the outcast who chose the 7-series over the LS? :D

Back when I was shopping for a V8 cruiser, I test drove a couple of these cars:

• Mk4 LS400
  • early LS430
  • W140 S500
  • E65 745i
and found that the LS was the quietest of the lot, no question. But I also found the LS to be soo wafty, and that put me off somewhat, which was a bit of a shame. I searched hard for the Mk4 DHP model to see if it was any better, but none came up at that time.

In contrast, I found the 745i much nicer to drive, with only marginal increase in road and engine noise from the LS (didn't mind the engine noise actually :P). What amazed me is that it had almost no body roll in the bends (even less than my IS200 Sport), and with the AC Schnitzer bodykit to top it off, it sealed the deal for me B)

I guess it's really depends on what we look for in a car :driving:

The 745 is a really nice car. my uncle has one with all the options. My father in law also has a S430L and thats nice too! still yet to ride in a LS tho, but from the sounds of things ide prefer it. I want something that wafts lol but thats just me

I keep seeing a 760 V12 round my part. Those things are rare! and cost a fortune to fix....there more like disposable cars lol

I don't think the X5 is a great drive and build quality feels cheap ish. Thing is, all new cars feel cheap IMO.

Drove a 2006 IS last week and it felt worse than my old IS.

That was the main thing about the X5, I felt the quality of the interior was as you say cheap ish. I did like the feel of being high up though.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that 'cheapish' is an understatement. I had a ride in one this week and there was no comparison between that interior of the X5 and my LS. Having just cleaned my car interior, I was amazed, again, at the quality of the carpets and leather in particular.

You are not alone. Sure Lexus has its attributes but BMW is definitely a better drive IMO.

You are not alone. Sure Lexus has its attributes but BMW is definitely a better drive IMO.

I think it's important here to think like for like. If we were perhaps comparing an old LS with a brand new BMW (or whatever) there may not be as much competition, although even then I may be wrong. My main point was that apart from the value of my mates X5 there's nothing else I would consider swapping. But as we've now gone from an X5 to a 7 series we would have to compare like for like. In my case it would have to be a 99 LS for a 99 BMW, and I'm sure the LS would win easily.

I am thinking like for like. I made that statement keeping in mind the following cars that I have had the opportunity to drive personally (YE's 2005-2012).

- BMW X5 3.0D

- RX450H

- BMW 330D Sedan

- IS250

- BMW 530D

- GS450H

- BMW 730D

- LS460

In each case the BMW has had better handling. The Lexus vehicles were smoother, better comfort and it is well known that they are reliable. Since all the BMW vehicles I drove were diesel comparing refinement will not be fair but I am pretty sure Lexus would win here too.

I guess what I am trying to say is that BMW is more of a drivers car and Lexus is a car where I will be more happy as a passenger.

I am thinking like for like. I made that statement keeping in mind the following cars that I have had the opportunity to drive personally (YE's 2005-2012).

- BMW X5 3.0D

- RX450H

- BMW 330D Sedan

- IS250

- BMW 530D

- GS450H

- BMW 730D

- LS460

In each case the BMW has had better handling. The Lexus vehicles were smoother, better comfort and it is well known that they are reliable. Since all the BMW vehicles I drove were diesel comparing refinement will not be fair but I am pretty sure Lexus would win here too.

I guess what I am trying to say is that BMW is more of a drivers car and Lexus is a car where I will be more happy as a passenger.

That makes sense, the big Lexus cars are more for wafting along or relaxing in the back. Mind you, ever since there was a post saying the fuel economy is better with the ECT/PWR switch selected (which I now do all the time) it's become less of a wafter.....

I think we can all ascertain Lexus can make a car drive and handle better than the dubbed 'ultimate driving machine' BMW i mean take the Lexus LFA this car lapped the German Nurburgring faster than any Production BMW, Porsche, Enzo Ferrari or Nissan GTR. So has Lexus got the engineers in house to design a car that can switch lanes just like an angry bee? Yes they can but i think Lexus prefers to put comfort before handling whereas BMW puts handling before comfort. And personally, i prefer a bit of comfort before handling as that's where 80% any driving is done. I mean how often does one drive their cars on the limit and throw it round every corner on a daily basis? So can Lexus engineers setup the car to handle better than a BM? Yes they can and proved it with the LFA but on the limit handling is not what Lexus is about but saying that my IS300 is more comfortable than my mates 330Ci coupe and its not far off it in terms of on limit handling so its a win win for me.

and i thought i was the only one seeing things but feels like ECT-PWR also stiffens the suspension because i feel every bump on the same road with ect pwr activated but i turn it off and suspension becomes softer and don't feel the bumps as much on the same road i did with it activated.