Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

trying to get to the shift lock solenoid on my 98, have removed gear knob, wood trim, top plate etc etc thinking there would be easy access to the shift mechanism/solenoid etc.

however the mechanism is all inside a big thick plastic case. The case has lots of screw/bolts, some of which I suspect are holding stuff on inside, so I don't want to just unscrew everything!

anyone know how I should gain access to the shift lock solenoid inside this case ?

If its the neutral start switch you are looking for it is under the car and is bolted to the side of the gearbox where the gear selector linkage bar is attached. if you require access to the selector solenoids again undo the linkage bar underneath the car [ nut and bolt ] and from inside the car 4 bolts [as far as I can remember ] then remove all attached loom wires and pull the selector mechanism up and out, You should now be able to work on a bench - just be careful if stripping this unit down as there are a few springs inside.

Maurice

If its the neutral start switch you are looking for it is under the car and is bolted to the side of the gearbox where the gear selector linkage bar is attached. if you require access to the selector solenoids again undo the linkage bar underneath the car [ nut and bolt ] and from inside the car 4 bolts [as far as I can remember ] then remove all attached loom wires and pull the selector mechanism up and out, You should now be able to work on a bench - just be careful if stripping this unit down as there are a few springs inside.

Maurice

Hi Maurice nice to hear from you are you still breaking ls 400s Mark

thanks Maurice,

Its the shift lock solenoid that i'm after - I went in through the top taking the centre console trim, gear stick cover etc off and got down to a thick heavy duty plastic cowling - I can see the end of the shift lock solenoid at the front of the cowling but cant work out how to get inside the cowling.

After looking at a few diagrams it looks like the cowl/case should split in half (top half from bottom) but there are quite a few bolts and screws and I don't want to undo a wrong one and hear something drop off inside! I haven't got a lift or axle stands so getting under the car is a bit of a problem.

steve that's the diagram I had seen at some point! :backofnet:

many thanks - it confirms the case top definitely comes off the bottom , but after spending 10 mins studying it I'm still not sure (read confident) how to split without other components coming or falling off so reluctantly i'm going to leave it until someone with a bit more knowledge (or balls!) can help me.

Maurice

Hi Maurice nice to hear from you are you still breaking ls 400s Mark

Hi Mark

will be breaking my own Mk4 shortly, Hate to admit that I have bought a Range Rover and the Lexus is just not getting used.

All the Best

Maurice

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links