Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Gs450 - Engine Noise On Start Up

Hi everyone

Not sure if I have a problem and have not repoted it to the dealer yet but I would appreciate any comments you may have.

Having not used the car for 5 days, when I started it yesterday there was an almighty loud rattle from the engine which lasted for a few seconds. I stopped the engine and restarted but all was quiet and it has not happend since.

Now two questions. I seem to remember this may have been a problem with earlier GS models but I cannot find anything on here (so far) to confirm this. Does anyone know if this is the case or what it could be?

Secondly, is the engine in the new GS the same as previous models or is it new?

Any help/comments on this would be appreciated. As I say, it may not be a problem as it has only happened once and I don't want to go to the dealer yet.

Apart from that, everything is running fine at just under 15000 miles. Had a sticking rear break calliper which was fixed at the 10000 mile service but apart from that everything is fine. Only grumble (still) is the poor paint and I can see a bonnet respray soon with all the chips.

Anyway, any comments would be appreciated.

Hi my earlier GS450 has allways sounded "raw" on cold start, and only once sounded awfull which was the only time it was low on engine oil shortly after a service!

I don't think its any worse now after 162,000 miles so I aint going to worry about it.

Shame about the bonnet paint! just had mine touched in for the 1st time and I am very fussy so the paint is not like it used to be.

Hi Gra 56.

I have never had the experience of any "rattle" on COLD or warm startups at all, and my 2007 GS450h hybrid is running like a watch at 51,000 miles.

Unlike some so-called experts on this forum, I highly recommend ( and have used on my last 6 cars ) Shells "Slick 50 synthetic oil additive" at the 15/20k oil change.

It always has been a fantastic product for all engines and needs only to be used "once" and future services go back to normal oil changes.

All the hysterical negative "guff" about Shell Slick 50 is ill informed, unscientific and I have 6 previous cars and plus 400,000 miles to confirm this finding.

It may be expensive, but it's well worth it in every way.

Have it introduced at your next change of oil and filter and you will notice the difference immediately - fantastic product.

I have no connection with Shell or Slick 50.

Regards,

Doug Symmons

Hi

The engine on the new MK4 Lexus GS is a new and improved
engine.

It has a much higher compression ratio and uses in direct
and direct fuel injectors, when the car is ticking over you will hear what
seems like a ticking noise, this can be quite loud initially, so could be construed
as a rattle, but to be on the safe side I would have a word with the dealer.

The earlier models did have a valve spring re call, but that’s
the only engine problem I have herd of.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this Wendle:

The IS250 suffered this very problem; there are TSB's on it - gulp - requiring new timing chain guides and valve adjusters (pretty much a top end re-build). This variable timing malarchy is the cause. It's not just Lexus, but other makes too that suffer (Audi/VAG do).

Keep an eye on it. If it sounds like a rolled up newspaper against spinning bike wheels' spokes, and goes after 3-5 secs abruptly (rather than gently going away as oil reaches the top like piston slap) then try and record it on your mobile. I'd be inclined to speak to the dealer!

EDIT: Try here: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/57491-cold-start-noise/?hl=%2Brattle+%2Bstart

Might be worth trawling through the IS forum as this was a problem!! I also seem to recall some youtube vid's in the states, dunno if they are still there

• 1 year later...

Hi my earlier GS450 has allways sounded "raw" on cold start, and only once sounded awfull which was the only time it was low on engine oil shortly after a service!

I don't think its any worse now after 162,000 miles so I aint going to worry about it.

Shame about the bonnet paint! just had mine touched in for the 1st time and I am very fussy so the paint is not like it used to be.

Mine is raw sounding for a very brief moment (not even a second) on startup too.

• 2 weeks later...

Likewise. Mine sounds the same for less than a second, but it appears that its only when cold.

It has never worried me as it runs like a sewing machine at all other times. It has 160k now.

Giles.

Something worth checking;

When I repaired my transmission oil pump last week, I noticed that there are four jubilee clips clamping the heat shields to the exhaust section around the cats. (2 each side). All four had broken and there was some rattle on start-up until the exhaust had warmed up slightly.

Its worth checking that this is not your rattle, first of all. They only took me a few minutes to fit and they were about a £1 each.

Worth a look.

• Like 2