Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, I've had my car for 8 years, never had a problem, till recently. I took the car out of storage a month ago, (off road about 18 months, maybe 2 years, had a company car). I now have a gearbox issue. It was collected for a mot, and was slowly dripping transmission fluid. (Between diff and gearbox I believe). That was fixed, it came back and the car was fine for a couple of weeks.

Then the car felt as if it was braking, for half a second, between 3rd and 4th.

A few days later, it also felt as if it was slightly accelerating between 2nd and 3rd. When it's in gear, it runs great. Accelerating in a gear is fine, it's just the changing where there's a problem.

I had lexus look at it, they suggested a replacement gearbox for £5k lol.

Today, after looking on forums I drained the transmission fluid, and replaced the filter. There was a small amount of metal on the magnets,much less than I expected. But the fluid was very sludgy / black, especially in the bottom of the pan. I also noticed, and was suprised, that the dipstick says the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle. Hmmmm.

I intended to flush the cooler too, but unexpectedly my wife was released early from hospital so had to end the project early. I drained and replaced just over 5 litres, Toyota iv fluid. The filter, rubber seal and pan gasket were replaced.

The 2nd-3rd issue is now gone, and the 3rd to 4th change is much better, but not great. I have found using the manual gearchange selector makes it feel better, so am using that for now.

My questions are, is there anything I can do to make this better? Am I damaging the gearbox more by driving the car? Anyone have a clue what to do next? I'm less financially setup than when I got the car, (new daughter and wife has lots of problems, means time off work for me etc).

I'm reasonably mechanically minded, but dropping the transmission out is a bit beyond my options.

Sorry to post so much, but I thought it may help to give the details. Ps I have towed with it, but only small trailers, under 1tonne. the car has 122000 miles on it. I've just paid out for the major service (Cambelt etc) so a bit poor right now.

Thanks for any ideas, any help is seriously appreciated.

Andy

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Have you resolved this issue yet ?

I've been having same problem with my MK2,04 Reg lexus RX300 for past 2 years

also have problem of slowly dripping transmission fluid. (Between diff and gearbox). Not yet fixed but I just ensure the oil is regularly topped up -

Can you please tell me what it cost you to fix this issue ?

the car will not move sometimes especially in winter, unless the engine warms up

I always need to wait at least 5min

then driving improves as the engine is fully warmed up

Sometimes, I've driven the car all day, popped into the shop for a while, coming back to continue my journey, the the car will not , unlesss I rev it sooo high to get going

and driving is better if I use the manual gearchange selector

Can you send the LOC link to drain and change the filter

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links