Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Perils Of Living By The Sea!

I noticed today that I have a couple of small marks on my bodywork and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for getting rid of them.

They are basically small burn marks caused by seagull c..p not being taken off quickly enough. They appear to have caused the paintwork to wrinkle/shrivel very slightly.

I don't want to use T Cut at this stage in case it might be a bit on the harsh side and am wondering what other members might have used successfully themselves.

I noticed today that I have a couple of small marks on my bodywork and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for getting rid of them.

They are basically small burn marks caused by seagull c..p not being taken off quickly enough. They appear to have caused the paintwork to wrinkle/shrivel very slightly.

I don't want to use T Cut at this stage in case it might be a bit on the harsh side and am wondering what other members might have used successfully themselves.

I live by the sea so I have the same problem, and don't they do big jobs?! My last car had a couple of marks that I couldn't remove, it really does seem to go deep. I did find tough that T Cut made an improvement but it was always there. Probably best to ask at a body shop I would think.

I live by the sea so I have the same problem, and don't they do big jobs?! My last car had a couple of marks that I couldn't remove, it really does seem to go deep. I did find tough that T Cut made an improvement but it was always there. Probably best to ask at a body shop I would think.

Yes I think that I will ask a body shop for some advice. Yesterday morning there were about 50 seagulls flying around, I have a suspicion that an elderly neighbour is feeding the damn things but I have yet to catch them in the act. I have a bamboo cane lying on the patio table and when I go out I give the table a really good whack and it sounds like a gun going off and they then quickly fly off..

Thanks for your comments.

The only thing that will get rid of this totally is a machine polisher (preferably used with 3 different grades of polish starting from the harshest working down to the finest).

It's easy enough to do but if you do not feel confident then your best bet is a bodyshop.

The only thing that will get rid of this totally is a machine polisher (preferably used with 3 different grades of polish starting from the harshest working down to the finest).

It's easy enough to do but if you do not feel confident then your best bet is a bodyshop.

My son-in-law has a machine polisher, I'm sure that he will let me borrow it so I will give it a go. Any particular polish that you would recommend. I must be honest, I didn't realise that there were differing grades of polish.

Thank you for your help.

Gotta love those acrobatic turd spreaders! NOT!

And, when the summer arrives..........and I really mean WHEN. Be careful what trees you park under. Some have a nasty sappy residue that comes from the leaves which then gets cooked onto the paintwork by the sun. Get it off with warm soapy water quick as you can.

I too live in a coastal town filled with seagulls (they got here 1st remember) In fact we have two (male & female Heron Gulls) which visit us every year morning & evening whilst they breed & raise their chicks nearby. They greet the wife like family & are NEVER EVER aggressive even toward our cat. If the wife isn't quick enough with a piece of bread each (cos that's all they get) they fly off the garage roof & knock on the back door with their beak.

They've been visiting each year for 7 years & as they live for upto 35 years we expect their visits to continue for some time.

Oh & the point of my post is that they never crap on our cars parked in the driveway :winky:

I too live in a coastal town filled with seagulls (they got here 1st remember) In fact we have two (male & female Heron Gulls) which visit us every year morning & evening whilst they breed & raise their chicks nearby. They greet the wife like family & are NEVER EVER aggressive even toward our cat. If the wife isn't quick enough with a piece of bread each (cos that's all they get) they fly off the garage roof & knock on the back door with their beak.

They've been visiting each year for 7 years & as they live for upto 35 years we expect their visits to continue for some time.

Oh & the point of my post is that they never crap on our cars parked in the driveway :winky:

I'm afraid that I am not a fan of seagulls anymore. I used to enjoy sitting in a deckchair enjoying the sunshine and listening to them flying around and squawking away but, I was with the family down in Padstowe (Cornwall) and we decided to sit on the sea wall with the old favourite (fish 'n chips) and out of the blue, and quite unexpected, a seagull clattered into the side of my face, nicked a piece of fish which I was about to put into my mouth, knocked my specs off, which almost got trampled under the feet of a chap walking by. I had a bruised face for a few days afterwards and, the same thing then happened to someone else sitting not far from us. This sort of thing is caused by people feeding the blooming things and is why the authorities put up signs all along the seafront discouraging the feeding of seagulls. It does cause them to become aggressive when there is food about I'm afraid.

On top of that and because there are so many of them attracted by the neighbours offers of food, our conservatory roof (and our cars) are constantly bombarded by their crap. I wouldn't mind a couple of them but 50 or 60 takes the biscuit (pardon the pun!)

I find that if you treat animals with kindness they respond. Remember the guy with the huge crocodile for a friend which he had nursed back to health after it was shot by a farmer being a case in point. Anyway our visitors don't crap on our cars or our neighbours :whistling:

I find that if you treat animals with kindness they respond. Remember the guy with the huge crocodile for a friend which he had nursed back to health after it was shot by a farmer being a case in point. Anyway our visitors don't crap on our cars or our neighbours :whistling:

Agree 100%, I love my dog and cats, they are part of the family but, that damn seagull didn't know me from Adam and couldn't possibly have known whether or not I was going to offer him some of my fish, he just took it!! Just bad manners methinks! lol

Quite but ours actually recognize us when we are out & parked near the harbour. I think its as much to do with human interaction as it is with food. Their reward in food is very little but they go to considerable lengths to interact with us. In fact they arrived very early this year in Jan instead of Spring as usual

My son-in-law has a machine polisher, I'm sure that he will let me borrow it so I will give it a go. Any particular polish that you would recommend. I must be honest, I didn't realise that there were differing grades of polish.

Thank you for your help.

As long as it isnt one of those 12v cigarette lighter jobbies from Hell-Frauds - They do not have the power to scare the skin off a rice pudding. Also, it needs to be a random orbital polisher to save yourself burning a hole in the paintwork (unless you are skilled with a true orbital).

The polishes I use are Sonus SFX 1, 2 and 3 (final finish) to end with.

Be warned though - once you start it will look so good you might want to do yor entire car !!

Quite but ours actually recognize us when we are out & parked near the harbour. I think its as much to do with human interaction as it is with food. Their reward in food is very little but they go to considerable lengths to interact with us. In fact they arrived very early this year in Jan instead of Spring as usual

Clever gulls those, they obviously got wind of the new airport/airline taxes that were coming in so they thought they would get in quick!

Thank you for your help.

As long as it isnt one of those 12v cigarette lighter jobbies from Hell-Frauds - They do not have the power to scare the skin off a rice pudding. Also, it needs to be a random orbital polisher to save yourself burning a hole in the paintwork (unless you are skilled with a true orbital).

The polishes I use are Sonus SFX 1, 2 and 3 (final finish) to end with.

Be warned though - once you start it will look so good you might want to do yor entire car !!

Thanks for this info, the polisher is a mains jobby but can't be sure if it is random orbital or not. I will investigate. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

If you want proper advice on this, you'll need to post pictures. The answer depends heavily on the severity, but you can always work your way up.

0 - wash the car and clay the affected area

1 - finishing pad and polish

2 - cutting pad to work through the worst of it, then finishing pad to put the shine back

3 - work the area with 3000 grit W&D sandpaper, then cutting pad, then polishing pad

4 - respray the affected area, or if on a budget then touch up paint to protect against rusting then step 3

With any approach finish the area with a sealant and/or wax. If doing this professionally, advise client to wash the car asap in future, and leave them with a spray bottle of bird poo remover, which will neutralise and help remove the muck when you get chance to wash it off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links