Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Lexus - Is200 Sport Aero

Hello all,

I bought my first lexus after having many Vw's since 1996. Currently driving a late style Vw Corrado G60 which I've had for 8 years and spent a ridiculous 23K on. The Lexus was chosen as I now get to see my kids more and needed something more driveable on a daily basis.

I won't bore you all to death with the Corrado so there's just a couple of pics and a link for anyone interested. :nuke:

http://www.volksdevil.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149

corrado_amber_borbet9.jpg

corrado_snow_amber_2013_zpsa8f1502c.jpg

corrado_snow_amber_2013_5_zpsd7053150.jp

Anyway...Onto the Lexus.

It's a 2002 Sport with factory aero bits, 1 owner from new (I'm the 2nd).

Video of me driving the Corrado home and my Dad going past in the Lex.
th_lexusfirstvideo.jpg
Pics.
lexusis200firstpics1.jpg
lexusis200firstpics2.jpg
lexusis200firstpics3.jpg
lexusis200firstpics4.jpg
lexusis200firstpics5.jpg
lexusinterior2.jpg
lexusinterior4.jpg
lexusinterior3.jpg
lexusinterior1.jpg
Got home and went straight back out to the jet wash with some Autoglym engine and machine cleaner.
Before and after.
lexusunderbonnetjetwash1.jpg
lexusunderbonnetjetwash2.jpg
lexusunderbonnetjetwash3.jpg
And today consisted of an 'enhancement' as my mate would say lol. Yellow Fogs done.
Haven't touched the paintwork yet but I'm going to give it a full correction at some stage (It REALLY needs it) I minted the interior and treated the leather etc too.
lexusyellowfogs1.jpg
lexusyellowfogs2.jpg

Anyway. Very pleased with it and I'm enjoying it in between still having the Corrado on the road for now.

Neil.

• Like 1

Very nice example. Makes me think twice about black IS's. Its a beaut. bet the previous owners was sorry to see it go, must of paid a fortune for it new. So what do you mean by corrections on the paint btw?

Thanks for the welcome :-) I was looking for a red one initially, and very nearly bought an impreza beforehand! But the seller turned out to be an idiot, maybe I was just supposed to end up with a black one...Very happy with it anyway. Just one issue so far, the stereo, I know they have a common fault and mine wouldn't accept any cd's. I popped it out and discovered a knackered plastic gear. So I'm debating on what to do about it, either one of those grom things or a new head unit.

PetayV8, A paint correction is basically taking the paint back to a fresh and flat finish using rough abrasives, and then working up through finer glazes/polishes etc and eventually waxes. When I was 16/17 I was doing this with angle grinders as a living (I'm now 33!) and these days I just use my experience to keep on top of my motors. (I used to be a Meguiars dealer too)

Here's an example of a lovely Alfa I did a while ago, it had literally just been restored/painted and the owner was washing it with fairy liquid!!! and a sponge!!! Absolute nightmare you can see the damage this did below.

alfa3.jpg

And a picture of the same area once finished.

alfa1.jpg

I would have preferred to remove lighting/number plates etc (Owner didn't want to) but it came out lovely to say the owner used the worst possible washing methods. I'll be sure to get some good pictures of the process once I start on the Sport. :hocus-pokus:

alfa7.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. This is bad news tho. I helped valet my Dads ZT last weekend and was amazed at how bad the paint was, just like your first picture! and guess what he uses fairy liquid and a sponge! so this is bad then? I dont personally, but also never knew it would do any harm. Ill be giving him a ring tomorrow lol

Great to have someone with your expertise on the LOC, think we've got the lot now :)

btw look forward to seeing the process on your IS. My weak area is body work and paint work, i made a bit of a mess of my last car trying to fix some problems lol. So im all ears :)

Aye, no problem I'll help where I can. Fairy liquid is a cars worst enemy really, it strips all wax and it also induces rust! If you have any bare metal/stone chips, the salts from the fairy liquid will start attacking it straight away.

As for a generic car sponge, there's an old trick in the trade to show a customer the damage they can do. Find a cd in good condition that you aren't too bothered about and rub over the back of it with a sponge. The damage is instantly visible.

The absolute best thing for washing is a lambswool wash mitt and good quality shampoo. Lambswool lets dirt sit deep within a pile.

Don't be tempted by a microfibre wash mitt, microfibre is very sticky and holds dirt on the surface. microfibre wash mitts became all the rage when microfibre became popular within the car enthusiast fraternity many years ago but it's not great for actually washing a car. It is great for use on an already washed car, polishing/waxing etc.

Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete, yep, I actually rang the dealers who have been servicing it and they confirmed cambelt changes :hocus-pokus:

Cheers p38Aaron, Happy with it so far. In fact I swapped the insurance over from the Corrado today, sad times for me after 8 years but needs must.

As for the Lexus The kids have inspected it. They approve.

kidslexus.jpg
Have started a paint correction on it, only got stage 1 done so far but gonna struggle for time to complete it. Just gonna keep it well washed until I can get back into it. Will come up quite well.
lexuspaintcorrectioncutting.jpg
lexuspaintcorrectionstage1corrado1resize
Spot the Corrado lol.
lexuspaintcorrectionstage1corradoresized
Neil.
  • Like 1

Hi Pete, yep, I actually rang the dealers who have been servicing it and they confirmed cambelt changes :hocus-pokus:

Cheers p38Aaron, Happy with it so far. In fact I swapped the insurance over from the Corrado today, sad times for me after 8 years but needs must.

As for the Lexus The kids have inspected it. They approve.

kidslexus.jpg
Have started a paint correction on it, only got stage 1 done so far but gonna struggle for time to complete it. Just gonna keep it well washed until I can get back into it. Will come up quite well.
lexuspaintcorrectioncutting.jpg
lexuspaintcorrectionstage1corrado1resize
Spot the Corrado lol.
lexuspaintcorrectionstage1corradoresized
Neil.

Hi Neil,

Like what you done to the car (very professional work)..

when i bought the car i did ask the seller to call Lexus dealer in Manchester check if the cam belt changed as indicated on the log book. was so please drive all the way back from Wigan to Birmingham. To my shock to discover the belt already badly worn n might snap anytime :nuke::nuke: (did post picture here) as all say it's advisable not to drive the car.

won't hurt to sneak a peek now and then :innocent:

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the kind words, shame I can't find the time to finish it off yet, it will come up a lot better than that when I do get around to it.

Just a small update...

Stickers in the side/rear windows and the rear window.

lexuslikestickers1.jpg

lexuslikestickers2.jpg

• Like 1

Err yeah me too mate lol, got the same stickers. :)

aah sorry! lol dont really go on FB :blush:

and i thought Neil designed them :hocus-pokus:

(bit of a stupid moment there) :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links