Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Imported Is300

Hello everyone,

I used to have a IS200 which I sold last year due to the IS drinking the juice(too much for a 20 yr old)!! but now fancy getting behind the wheel of a Lexus. I currently have a E36 316i which drives nice but needs more POWER!! so I started looking into IS300's as it seems to have similar mpg to the 200 but more power.

I have seen an IS300 however it has been imported, It is registered a 2002 vehicle however on insurance comparison sites it comes up as a 2006. I wanted to know if there is anything I need to look out for especially on an import?

Any papers/documents I need to look out for?

Anything in general as I haven't seen an import 300 before, I was worried about parts however ECP seem to recognize the number plate and parts are available.

The car is at 76000 miles which was last serviced at 75000, only had 1 previous owner and has MOT until 11/13.

Thanks in advance.

its not an 'import' its a 51 plate which looks like it was first registered here in UK. in contrast, all Lexus cars are imports as they were not designed, built and assembled in UK but this one you looking at is not a grey import car like e.g a Nissan Skyline. but saying that the insurance company knows more than me lol. for the mileage and price thats good i recon you can still knock off another £200 off the asking price and shake hands tbh

its not an 'import' its a 51 plate which looks like it was first registered here in UK. in contrast, all Lexus cars are imports as they were not designed, built and assembled in UK but this one you looking at is not a grey import car like e.g a Nissan Skyline. but saying that the insurance company knows more than me lol. for the mileage and price thats good i recon you can still knock off another £200 off the asking price and shake hands tbh

The dealer stated in an ad elsewhere that it was previously registered overseas and seeing the Japanese paperwork with the car I thought it was an import. Also the trim around the window switch I have not seen before which made me think it was standard in Japan.

The only import would be a RS300 I believe, which is badged Toyota... But I have heard stories of importers re badging them as Lexus

The paperwork appears to be in Cantonese. I think this car was imported from Hong Kong.

The Lexus marque wasn't available in Japan until around 2005, with the launch of the 2nd gen IS.

Also, I think the IS300 was called the Altezza AS300 in Japan :)

I had a reply from the dealer selling the car and the car is imported from hong kong and has paperwork with it. The service history is stamped in the book but no invoices apart from the original invoice and has no paperwork for the cambelt but was "replaced" by the previous owner at 40k.

Assuming the cost to tax and insure this car is comparable to a UK-delivered IS300, I think this car is well worth considering. I'd be very surprised if its parts and consumables aren't identical to the local-spec cars.

Depending on how much it has been driven in the UK, the undercarriage of this car may be in relatively better condition too, because they don't grit the roads in Hong Kong.

Just my 2p :)

IS300 in Hong Kong is identical spec to UK being a former british colony they drive on left, only difference is KMH and there wont be the 180 KMH speed limit like on most Japanese cars in Japan ;) No need to fit rear fog lights cos they come as standard on all IS200/300 in HK, just most grey import Altezza's there don't since its not compulsory ! Also in Japan the AS300 is wagon only, no AS300 sedan or such thing as RS300 !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links