Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Best Play Mp3 Music On A 2004 Gs (2Nd Gen)

I have a 2004 GS430 (2nd generation; Mark Levinson audio system with integrated Gen01 Satnav).

What is the best way to play MP3 music through my system, without appreciable loss of quality (which I'd suffer if I used a cassette adapter, even a Sony one)?

Connecting to the FM aerial in the rear of the car? Or dismount the head unit from the dash (I've managed it once and guess I could manage it again) and wire in something?

I'd prefer a controller/adapter which will allow me to directly plug in a USB stick (pen drive) containing MP3 files, rather than have to use an ipod or similar.

The added ability to plug in an ipod, Android or Iphone would, however, be a plus.

Recommendations needed, please!

I've just (today) fitted an XCarLink to my 2002 GS300. It plays MP3s and WMAs from SD card or USB stick, plus has an analogue aux-in so you can connect other audio devices (iPods, Bluetooth adaptors, etc) if you wish. The radio (a P3725 in my case as I've fitted the widescreen satnav) sees it as a 15-disc autochanger, the "disc" button on the radio toggles between it and the factory CD autochanger.

Here's the one I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350735480600

If you don't want to splice any wires (there's a plug already occupying the socket on the radio with two wires in it) you'll also want http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251229137310

You'll need to check the connections on the back of your nav unit if you don't have a P3725 or one listed on the eBay ad, as there are two versions. One is for the big 5+7 pin connector (which mine has), the other is for the small 6+6 pin connector and can be found at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350761483285

And to think I only found it because I was looking for a "lexus jack" to replace mine (I knocked my car off the old one and buckled it :oops: )

To remove the radio:

1. Pull out vent + clock module at the top (if you can get a good grip on it it'll pull out without needing to be levered out).

2. Remove ashtray module (pull it out by its drawer).

3. Undo the four 10mm bolts, two top and two bottom. Try not to drop them as the centre console doesn't like giving them back.

To route the cable from the glovebox, pop out the cover below it (it unclips at the front so just get your fingers in and pull down), drop the cable over the top of the glovebox, fold it back so you have a loop that's about 6 inches in length and poke this through just above where the glovebox assembly is bolted to the centre console, with your fingers waiting in the centre console to grab it when it pokes through. This could take you a few minutes to do, but you'll get there. The plug will have a tendency to jam but it WILL go through with some gentle coaxing from both sides. To refit the cover, locate its pegs in the holes at the back of the footwell and clip it back up into place.

For anyone else reading this: I'd expect the P3724 (non-nav) radio to work as well, the two radios are interchangeable.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links