Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys after about 30 to 40 mins driving when slowing down my LS revs drop lower and lower on idle then the engine cuts out. This is happening intermittently and the car always restarts ok.

Also when the steering is on full left lock there is a clunking sound,bushes or similar is the obvious thing i guess. I am running this car on a budget so costly repairs are unaffordable.

I was effectively given this LS 19 months ago (due to employer pay-off),so far it has been ok.

Any advice gladly accepted!!

James

I had this problem when I first bought my 1998 LS400 a few months back. With mine it only happened after driving for a distance reasonably fast - say 50+ - then slowing fairly quickly. Advice given then that it was a dirty throttle body and one of the nice folk on here posted a series of photos describing exactly how to rectify it.

However, on the basis that I tend to break stuff rather than mend it, I decided to try a simple solution. A bottle of fuel injector cleaner in each of 3 consecutive tankfuls seems to have cured it completely.

As for the knock, that's out oof my comfort area.

Good luck.

As posted ,cleaning the throttle body is often the cure.

Get some one to turn the steering from lock to lock whilst you look

underneath for the noise or excess movement somewhere, .eg. steering rack loose, suspension bushes etc.

As others have said, it'll be a dirty throttle body, possibly a bunged up idle control valve. It's fairly simple to get to the throttle body, you just need to remove a few large bits of plastic.

For the clunking, you need to jack the front of the car up and check for excessive play in the wheel (rock it top to bottom and side to side) and all suspension components.

This being a Lexus, all repairs are costly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links