Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet Another Mot Disaster.

fil4362

This is another of my on going battle to clean up the motor trade and make it all a bit more clear,and make people aware of the down and dirty side of what i consider my trade.

I recently purchased a Range Rover from eBay usual rules apply you bid and win you buy, i won so i own it. Anyway went to collect the car was all ok and as it had 12 months mot i drove it home. Now being in the trade i should know better, theres mot tests and theres mot tests. This vehicle was tested and passed on 5/4/13. Well last night on the way home from a night in my mine (long story short i own an old lead mine,, its a hobby) the brake fluid warning light came on. I limped the car the 30 or so miles home. Found a petrol station open half way got my hands on some dot 4 and kept the system topped up.

On inspection this morrning 4 of the brakes pipes are compleatly rotten one has burst. Now this much corrosion hasnt happened since friday.

On ferther investigation today it would appear the car was tested at 6:45 pm. on checing the website of the garage that tested i this is outside their posted opening times. Which int allowed by Vosa.

To sum up from someone who should have known better an mot test no matter how newly issued doesnt mean a thing. Always always get a car checked if you by a new one.

The car was tested at a garage in Frodsham area of Cheshire if anyone is interested. If your from that area in box me i will pass on full details of the garage so you can avoid it !!

This is another of my on going battle to clean up the motor trade and make it all a bit more clear,and make people aware of the down and dirty side of what i consider my trade.

I recently purchased a Range Rover from ebay usual rules apply you bid and win you buy, i won so i own it. Anyway went to collect the car was all ok and as it had 12 months mot i drove it home. Now being in the trade i should know better, theres mot tests and theres mot tests. This vehicle was tested and passed on 5/4/13. Well last night on the way home from a night in my mine (long story short i own an old lead mine,, its a hobby) the brake fluid warning light came on. I limped the car the 30 or so miles home. Found a petrol station open half way got my hands on some dot 4 and kept the system topped up.

On inspection this morrning 4 of the brakes pipes are compleatly rotten one has burst. Now this much corrosion hasnt happened since friday.

On ferther investigation today it would appear the car was tested at 6:45 pm. on checing the website of the garage that tested i this is outside their posted opening times. Which int allowed by Vosa.

To sum up from someone who should have known better an mot test no matter how newly issued doesnt mean a thing. Always always get a car checked if you by a new one.

The car was tested at a garage in Frodsham area of Cheshire if anyone is interested. If your from that area in box me i will pass on full details of the garage so you can avoid it !!

My I also suggest you report them AND the seller as even though its an auction its still unlawful to sell something that's not fit for its purpose. As you say such corrosion cannot happen within days so your grounds for compensation are quite strong

That's disgusting gives everyone a bad name. Not to mention the safety aspect of an unsafe vehicle on the road. Report them i would.

On a side note the lead mine sounds fascinating, how long you owned it? Always been interested in mining.

This is a potential death trap, if someone with no mechanical knowledge had bought it they would assume all is OK

with a new MOT, and unknowingly risk killing someone.

Garage needs banning from doing MOT's and prosecuting.

As an mot tester myself i m sure its a "real" mot certificate. There are so many stories i could tell you about the mot test done at other garages.

I recently checked a car that failed because the rear door didnt open. Rightfully it didnt open but then what else would you expect from a locked door?. Some testers at some garages follow their own set of rules with total disregard for the actual testing guide.

Must admit no one is perfect i myself have been distraced during a test and forgotten to carry out the emission test more than once.

I was "grabbed" by the cars owner who walked into the workshop as soon as i drove the car of the ramp. But rotten brake pipes and some of the welding jobs i have posted are a joke.

Whoo ever it was that asked about the mine if your local to me wil happily take you on a tour. I live in manchester but the best mines are Derbyshire way. One of my hobbies is a caving instructor but i have got into mines recently the history is more" human " than a cave. I have found passages and arrtifacts in my mine dating to 1783. I recently went in the mines in Alderly edge they date back to the Romans in parts.

Hi Phil,

Im sending a Pm as I could do with a local IS friend to take a look at my poor example but also, would be very interested in a visit to the mine :)

Cheers

Allan.

Report the garage to trading standards for investigation.

Complaints regarding poor MOT standards are reported to VOSA who as Phil will know can certainly crack the whip!

IIRC you can appeal the test on the grounds the vehicle should not have passed but you cannot do any repair work until VOSA have inspected the defects.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links