Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Horrific Condition Alloys

Hi all

My 17" 5 spoke alloys are in really bad condition with curbing all around and corrosion on all wheels.

I have been looking around but I can as there is corrosion apparently they need to be sand blasted and/or chemical dipped etc and quotes are coming in excess of £200. To be honest I was happy paying circa £160 for a mobile van but on such an old car I feel somewhat reluctant to spend the money which is a shame as the rest is pretty immaculate now.

I live in Bromley, Kent, and there seems to be no-one willing to take this one as soon as i mention "Lexus IS200".

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

It seems odd that anyone should be prejudiced against the Lexus, IS200 or any other.

If they are going to go back to the base metal this shouldn't matter a jot, however if they are not going this far, they may be influenced by the fact that Lexus are notorious for having alloys with a short life.

The reason people and wheel refurb companies run a mile when you mention Lexus is because Lexus alloys are notorious for corroding so require more work. I'm getting my wheels done at £65 per wheel which I think is a decent price for getting your alloys back to brand new :)

I used these guys to acid and sandblast a set of old saab alloys I bought and I painted them my self.

Most of the companies did not want to do half the job ... and would not quote me just for acid dip and sand blast ... which I found annoying... but these guys were more that happy to help me.

My wheels were very bandly pitted and corroded tires even loosing air because of that lol once I got them back they looked like new... and were ready to be painted.

I am going to use them soon to do the same with my Lexus alloys as I want to paint them two tone etc.

They are only in Gravesend.

http://www.inspraytionsmartrepair.co.uk/

I've only just had mine refurbed, even though they were only very slightly corroded, the fella showed me how the corrosion 'pits' the alloy, he had an air-powered sander to try and take the alloy down far enough past the corrosion but it wasn't easy, but got there after abit of patience. As I said my wheels were actually very decent, I'm just a bit fussy, worse wheels would need shot blasting and repairing which he reckoned could be done for around £200 a set.

Had mine done at Toyota Stourbridge @ £50 per wheel - they did a good job, however they are starting to chip away at the edges due to the number of potholes I hit daily in Birmingham... Give your local Toyota dealer a call they may be able to sort something for you..

Let me know via PM and can send you half a dozen pictures and my specific location/number - got the reciepts from toyota refurb too, they are in good nick and slightly a gunmetal colour but not much and doesn't look "boy racer"

I have 2 sets of 5 spokes although 1 set is spoken for by a gs owner near me I'm refurbishing a set currently it has taken a lot of hard graft and almost 2 weeks of sanding with 40 grade production paper to get rid of the nasty corrosion on the backs of each alloy. I would just like to add however that mine had only corroded on the rears of each alloy and it is hard to see that when they are on the car you could just refurb the fronts to save time and cost