Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Tilt Wont Work On My Ls430

Hi Guys,

I'm a new Lexus owner and after driving a LS400 around 5 years ago I could not shake the Lexus bug.

So I decided the other day to spend some of my hard earn money on a 2005 Lexus LS430 it has full Lexus S/H and after a AA inspection it apart from a few chips in the paint work it is great!!!!

But the power tilt / telescopic steering wheel doesn't work properly. I have looked on youtube and read through so many forums and threads my eyes have gone crossed. I called Lexus and they have quoted me around £800 to fix it.

I have called around 15 breakers yards and none have parts. I have found a site that will send it from japan but will take around a month to get to me and then I have got to pay customs and handling fee's there must be an easier way!!!!

So if anyone can help I would be ever grateful.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Does it work at all , if not check fuses as some people turn it of ? .spray wd40 into ignition , this partly worked for me and a good wiggle of the switch.

Hi Luke and welcome to the worlds most exclusive motoring club. We are a friendly bunch and together the collective knowledge of the group is enormous, somone will be along to sort your problem fairly quickly.

On the 5th May there is a meet of the LOC in the East Midlands, link here http://www.lexusowne...owtopic=80199 we want to try and get as many LS's there as possible.

If you have any pictures of your car please post them as we love to druel over other members cars.

Mike.

the Mark 4 suffers from a similar problem but that can be rectified by fitting a washer.

The LS430 motors simply pack up and the only way to forward is to replace the motors

there are some pictures here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/474977-04-lexus-ls-430-telescopic-steering-column.html

A company in japan called amayama has been recommended here for genuine parts and discounted prices so if you want to go down that replacement route it might be an idea to get a quote:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/79709-steering-wheel-tilt-motor/

Also see this link where a member describes how to remove the motor

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/641951-steering-column-tilt-malfunction.html

Before doing the above it might be an idea to check the fuses

If you do decide to replace yourself then please could you do a write up with pictures

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

When you say the steering wheel tilt/telescope doesn't function correctly what exactly is it doing not working at all, intermittently working,moving slowly or something else?

The earlier models were easily fixed witha tupenny washer but on the later models this is no longer the case as they use a different type of motor and as you have discovered these are not cheap.

The Toyota Land Cruiser does however use the same motor which is considerably cheaper than the Lexus part.

• Like 1

The motors sieze due to lack of grease. They are VERY easy to take off and manually manipulate to move the workings ie turn the threaded rod . You can, if you wish, strip them down and Di a thorough clean as they are only tabbed over on the motor housing.

I did both if mine with varying degrees of success and now they work fine .

It gets gritty, insude the motor and because the motor is a flat disc type rather than your atypical motor they need the surfaces ckeaning and lubricating

Hope it helps

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice. I will be trying a few of the tips you guys have given me and let you know how I get on I will take some pictures for everyone and fingers crossed it will work otherwise I will have to replace them :-(

Cheers

Hey Guys,

So I stripped the plastics around the steering wheel today which was a headache but got it done eventually. Then unbolted the hex screws gave the screws that maneuver the tilt a blast of wd40 and now the steering wheel goes in and out at about 70% of what it should and up and down around 30% of what it should so at least the motors are not knackered is there anything else anyone could advise?

Thanks.

My LS400 column wouldn't go in and out. I took off the covers (after finding the hidden screws!), got a spanner on the offending thread and forced it to come out further than it had before. I tried the switch again and, giving the steering wheel a good pull, got the motor to push out the column. What I'm trying to say is, if you help the motors by pushing, pulling or lifting, they may move some more.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to post on as two year old thread as my first contribution. I found the threads as I have the same issue, won't tilt up or down, stripped out the housing and then found a small bushing under an allen Key stopper, mine has worn pretty well away.

Come online expecting to see this is the common problem and confronted with more about motor and steering column replacement :(

Anyway the bush was available from the local Lexus dealer (by special order from Belgium) and has part number 47583-60010 Steering Stopper Number 1 it can be seen on this diagram, Part was £2.00 plus VAT so would be the first thing I decided to try. Part will be delivered next week will update if it sorts it.

If this is common knowledge and I have just not found it on my searches of the forum my apologies

post-53276-0-74245300-1430929322_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links