Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mileage Against Age?

As I have yet to have much luck selling my BMW I have been using the time to do research on IS300 Sportcross's which is what I'm hoping to buy.

My question is, would a higher mileage car (90-100k 01-03 plate) with full service history be a worthwhile consideration as opposed to a newer model (04-05) costing more money, some of which are equally high mileage. My budget would be around £5k tops. I seem to be finding better older models but some have higher mileages than I would like, my old LS400 had 96k when I bought it and it never gave me any trouble but I'm not sure if IS300 Sprortcross's are as durable?

I appeciate that the last Sportcross was built in 05 so finding a really low mileage example is near on impossible but obviously want to try and get the best I can, so it makes sense to ask the people with owning experience.

My sportcross is 2002, with topside 90000 on the clock. I have had the car for about six years now and there has been no noticable deterioration in that time either in the body (unlike mine) or the engine...which has been effectively faultless. I suggest as above, that it is the individual car that matters.....and no, mine,s NOT for sale !!

Like everybody say as long it's have been well maintain, these car can run for long long time. When i first looking for is300 it's took me a while to find a low miles 300 , but my waiting game really pay off, when I first brought a car the miles was about 46k and with with full lexus history. I'm sure it's still well look after 300 out there :)

Took me ages to find the right IS200, mine is a 2002 52 plate had only done 61,000 miles when i bought it 10 months ago. Full lexus service history right up till 58,000 miles.

Hold on and the right one will be out there.

mileage is nothing on a Yoda engine if well maintained. this is an IS pushing nearly 300,000 miles and body paint and alloys still looks good. so as confirmed, these engines are designed to clock Diesel engine mileage if oil and fluids are changed when they due.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304166291670/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/over_100000_miles/model/is/make/lexus/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/lu63hp/radius/200/page/2?logcode=p

this is another 170,000 + example. looks like its only done 30K

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302185393124/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/over_100000_miles/model/is/make/lexus/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/200/postcode/lu63hp/page/5?logcode=p

Sorry for late reply and many thanks to everyone for their input, really helpful and certainly good to know that a well serviced high mileage car shouldn't put me off.

Bought my is200 tte from my boss.

FSH and brought it in if it farted out of tune.

80k on it 2000. Until last week was running like a dream. Paid €1,400.

Thought it was a bit risky at the time. Bargain in hindsight

I got mine 2yrs ago with 81000 on the clock if I remember correct ...

2002 model IS300 SC

Now it has 111000 and I can say it runs still like new. I have not touched the engine. ... the only things I had to replace was front lower bushes and tires! Other than that ... bullet proof

Just make sure the cam belt is changed as soon as you buy it ;)

I got mine .... very very cheap and was nothing wrong with the car ... just the owner could not sell it back then and tax was running out as well as insurance. :) :) so it worked to my favour.

A 2002 with 90.000 miles today ... cannot be concidered high mileage in today's standards as it is less than average in my eyes.

Thanks for your input, as I have now sold my BMW the search is full steam ahead for a IS300 Sportcross so your information helps, cheers.

Kent: The cam belt along with a full service is top of my list once I buy one, having done that I have a good base to work from.......just have to find the right car now :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links