Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Is300 Sportcross

In my continuing search for a IS300/Sportcross I have come across a few LPG conversions, aside from the obvious fuel cost saving what are the pro and cons/opinions on this?

I can only really see the pro points personally. So long as it's a decent mulitipoint injection setup with a tank that sits in the spare tyre well. Just need to make sure they're running with flash lube, as jap engines need this generally speaking to ensure longevity of the valves.

Hi, RedBaron here from Belgium, LPG lover(lpg overhere 50 eurocent, petrol 165 eurocent!)

depends on what you mean with flashlube,

older systems just spray some droplets into the inlet manifold and the question is, which quantity of additive goes to which cylinder.

Prins/AGS uses valve-care. A separate metering-unit injects into every cylinder in conjunction with

the LPG so every cylinder gets the right quantity of additive every time, always. AGS guaranteest 150000 kms(90.000 miles) so it can't be bad.

Done about 28000 troublefree miles so far. Did a zero measurement just after installation. i.e.

\set valve clearances and did a compression check, cylinder leaktest ans dyno-run. No performance difference on modern LPG installations( at least 108 octane my friends).

Will repeat this after 40000 miles on LPG. Installed the LPG at 148000 kms in my IS 300 Sportcross

and now I am at 192000 kms. With my driving style this would have been 5500 litrs of fuel so I saved 5000 euros on Fuel. Bought new coilovers,18 inch wheels, tyres, catback system and horny headlights from USA from my savings. Payed only 1750 euro for the LPG installation overhere, so it was a hell of an investment.

Cheers from Belgium

• Like 1

Glad to be of help. If you have any questions , don,t hesitate to send me a message.

And DON'T listen to people who say gas is only for cooking purposes.

The guy where I do a lot of rolling road testing has a BMW M5 that delivers more power on LPG than on petrol and the exhaust gas temperatures are virtually the same as on petrol, so no worries for engine damage.

The important thing is to have it installed an set up by the right guy.

Thanks Redbaron, much appreciated. The chances are I won't buy a LPG Sprortcross but I was very interested in one advertised on Autotrader in the UK, your information was really helpful but sadly the car sold before I had sold my car so I couldn't explore it further. At least if I find another LPG Sportcross that interests me I know your the man in the know B)

You might be better of looking for a low mileage petrol-car. Most LPG drivers install it because they make a lot of miles.

Just be patient and keep looking for the mileage, condition and specs you want.

The IS 300 is thirsty though, So you can always make a roadtrip to Belgium, have LPG installed for 1750 euros(1580 pounds)

and fill up on booz and fags on the ferry when jou go back.

I just found a 66000 km (40000 miles) IS 300 in Germany, (LHD ofcourse). I am very tempted, but my wife might kill me...

Still have a TR3, TR4 and (don't laugh) a YAMAHA FS1 waiting for attention.

I think I'll end up with a non-LPG car to be honest, I do very little mileage so mpg isn't a massive concern but it's always worthwhile exploring all options.

Like I said, wait for the right one.

And with lttle mileage LPG might not be worth the investment. Although it pays off sooner and sooner these days considering petrol prices. Payd 43 eurocents per liter this morning in Belgium. That's like 35 P in your money.

NewsFlash: I came to an agreement with the German about the IS 300 Sportcross with 66000 kms.! Will probably pick it up next tuesday..

It's anthracite grey, black leather/alcantara; all further options except navigation (thank God, because I find the outdated original system in the IS200/300 very clumsey and difficult to use, since I belong to a generation that did not grow up with a joystick).

It comes from am elderly couple who just can,t afford it's thirst for petrol any longer. They bought it new and took it to their Lexus dealer every year. Looks like it got delivered brandnew 2 weeks ago. Guess I got lucky! Wish you the same.

Hi, I have got my is300 converted to LPG and it's the best thing iv ever done! In One year I have saved £2000 on fuel cost

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links