Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Rotor Rust.

Pewe

I have had my car ('94 GS300) sat up for 2 years.

Attached is a photo of a disc rotor. This is after driving/braking for about 40 miles.

The rust seen is 'pitted' into the rotor.

I realise it would be best to replace them in an ideal world, but with money being tight, my question is - would this contribute to brake inefficiency and necessitate replacement.

I had an MOT the other day and they although they failed on handbrake inefficiency, they did not mention brake inefficiency - only that on the front the brakes released 'unevenly'.

post-2279-0-66979600-1367934937_thumb.jp

You need to do more mileage to get those clean, looks like they're getting there.

Uneven front brakes will probably be the caliper pins partially seized so remove,clean,regrease and refit.

Thanks Steve.

I was a bit concerned about the rust.

When it was being MOT'd I had 2 new tyres on the back (they had perished having been left standing) and when they had the wheels off a mechanic was looking at the brake disc and I overheard him say to the other 'he won't get away with that' - but he wouldn't comment when I asked him what he was referring to, he said I needed to look at the failure certificate.

Thanks for the suggestion re the caliper pins, I will try what you suggested - the garage said they could not suggest what possibilities might be causing the unevenness unless they had the car in and stripped the brakes - at £60 per hour.

I had a Rover 800 years ago and this had been stood for some time, the brake discs were in worse condition than yours and I did the best I could with a rotary wire brush as I couldn't take the car out on the road and it passed with them similar to yours.

As long as they aren't affecting the brake efficiency or below minimum thickness they should be ok and the rust will eventually wear off.

To get to the caliper slide pins remove the top and bottom caliper bolts (14mm) there is also a 17mm nut on the pins which may need holding whilst you remove the bolts. Once you have the caliper off the pins should just slide out of the bracket leaving the rubber dust boots in place.

If they are seized get the 17mm spanner on the bolt and twist back and forth applying wd40 to assist.

Once out wipe any remaining grease off them,if rusty rub down with some emery cloth and then regrease and refit ensuring the rubber boot slips back over the pin.

Occasionally the grease causes an hydraulic effect which will push the pins back out again,if this happens remove and twist the pins until they stop in.

If the pins are beyond recovery they cost around a tenner each from Lexus.

Thanks Steve.

I will have a go at this over the weekend.

At least its not all bad news.

Last time I insured the GS it cost me over £200 fully comp, sole driver, £250 excess.

This time it cost me £77 - fully comp, wife also driving, £150 excess. (This included a £30 discount for getting a House Insurance quote at the same time).

So I've got £130 in my budget that I can use for the 'unexpected'.

Thanks again.

I'm not that young either.

I got the cover from Saga - as a new customer with 9 Years confirmed no claim discount came to £109 pa, reduced when wife was added and with the house quote discount on top came down to £77 for the first year.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links