Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can Someone Please Explain This :o

I went out to the car this morning to clean the inside and engine bay ready for its major service when this was staring me in the face! i thought i was having a nightmare! I dont swear often but seriously WTF! and it looks ALOT worse in person. Dark spots/blotches all over the tailgate, the paint is not peeling or anything just darkened

This literally happened over night as i just detailed and polished the whole car a week ago and it was immaculate

2013-05-14_09-13-21_171_zpsb4ce7606.jpg

Just a update. Now the sun has gone in and just chucked it down the spots have gone, but if i look carefully can see them faintly. They must of caught the light at a certain angle when i saw them. Weird, never seen anything like it!

I made an almighty mistake with my LS400 when it was accident damaged, originally I was going to replace the wing and bonnet with 2nd hand ones so started to remove bits to do so.

I removed what was left of the head light unit and decided to cover the hole left with some bubblewrap to stop water getting in.

I wedged it in the bonnet and behind the bumper and left it for a few weeks.

On deciding that a local body shop was going to repair the panels I removed all the bubblewrap to find the bonnet now had an inprint of the bubbles in the paint,couldn't be cut or polished so ended up having the whole lot resprayed.

So you think the plastic stained it. wow. something gone down with mine. If it was how it looked when i saw it all the time i would be getting a re spray or new tailgate but its unnoticeable 99% of the time, very weird. I mean ive had the car 7 months now and its the first time ive seen it

• 4 weeks later...

this has happened when it has water droplets on the panel then the sun heats up metalic paint on the panel at different levels dont think it can be cured it has happened to me ever since i have owned my car which is about seven years now and it dosent last may be an hour until panel has got even temp i know its fustrating but in the summer i wash my car in the evening to reduce this happening but can be caused by dew as well. i know you shock when you first see it but it never has caused my paint to fall off or damaged it, it just makes you mad

I once had a car that I guess must have had a resprayed boot.

It was a metallic bronze Ford, and it used to "spot up" after rain or washing, but it seemed as if it was under the laquer, and polishing had no effect.

This only happened on the boot, hence my guess about being resprayed, and disappeared eventually, until the next rain/wash.

Maybe yours has had new paint?

Yeah its exactly how you described, like under the laquer. Like i said its the first time it showed up after about 7 months of ownership and havent seen it since, but its there.

No evidence of a respray as far as i know but who knows

its not a respray issue as my car its still all original panels only thing i can think it is that the laquer has slightly degraded as the boot has a flat surface where water sits and then the water droplets amplify the solar heat/ uv which when you feel the silver car when hot is hot so i think its down to the age of the car and the waterbase paints that they use now

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links