Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Very Surprised New Member

Niall_farley

Morning guys! How is everyone?

Well I'm suprised..... Yesterday I bought a Lexus gs300 now I had such bad luck yesterday! Il give you guys a quick story if your interested... If not skip the next paragraph :p

So I have always been a BMW enthusiast and have always had 2/3 cars... Up untill a month or so ago I had a e36 318is, e39 523 and a e46 325ci.... BMW mad! Anyway my gf told me I HAD to only have one car now :( grrrr so I sold the e39 I loved that at but neer drove it. So I was torn I had owned my e36 for 2.5 years n spent plenty of money making it my own :( I didn't want to sell my e46 or e36 anyway my dad always admired the e36 and offered to buy it... So I took the opertunity knowing it would still be in my life :) happy days! Anyway all cars had always been uber reliable espesh the e36 never a problem! On Monday I spend the night after work replacing the exhaust on the e46 and a few other daft bits and bobs. On the drive to work yesterday driving along peacefully... Holy sh*t temp gauge rising fast.... Pull over... Water pump :( oh dear! So fuming as I was I called my boss who was nice enough to get my car picked up and on I went to work. I rang my mother to catch up on my break and oh my old neighbour is selling his Lexus which he has owned since it was two years old.... Awwww he was moving to Thailand and needed rid! So... A deal was made and i now own a Lexus gs :D and I'm bloody suprised. I drove about 70 miles in it to get a feel for it and really took to it. A great car it is :)

I have a few questions about the car which I will post up eventually :)

Pic? Okay!

null-4.jpg

Thanks guys

Niall

Very nice looking car. Are those the IS aero wheels?

I'm not clued up to be honest Stuart. You tell me? Haha one is quite curbed :( but I thought the did look like is wheels. They are 18" and staggared? If they are Lexus I will get them re furbed :)

Nice GS. Surprised though, most BMW lovers dont take to Lexus for its super soft and comfy ride and quietness but really glad you took to it, its what we all love. I would love a GS, i love my IS but i have to say it is slightly cramped when compared to the GS so may upgrade for that reason someday, but would prob get the V8 while im at it :whistling:

• Like 2

Nice GS. Surprised though, most BMW lovers dont take to Lexus for its super soft and comfy ride and quietness but really glad you took to it, its what we all love. I would love a GS, i love my IS but i have to say it is slightly cramped when compared to the GS so may upgrade for that reason someday, but would prob get the V8 while im at it :whistling:

Na I like a super soft ride I had a seven series for a bit but it was a bit to thirsty at the time I couldn't fully afford it. But the comfort and refinement where second to none! This car reminds me alot of my e39 nice and comfy and quiet :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

Welcome to LOC B)

They look like aftermarket wheels, not aero wheels. Nice looking motor, just needs dropping an inch or two ;)

Your not wrong :) what springs are the best? I'm not a coil over fan and always used bilstein on BMW which where right up there I only want quality and comfort not cheap and harsh :p but a slight drop will help... Plus the tyres are painted on! Needs slightly bigger profile

Hi again, thank you for everyone who followed up, yes, on closer look, they aren't Aero wheels, very similar though. Could do with have a tyre with a larger side wall and yes, lower the car a little.

I was looking at Eibach springs and sway bars, but it is just a little too pricey at the moment. http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/performance_suspension/suspension_systems/pro-plus . They'll lower the car by 20 mm and you use the same Lexus Shocks and the car becomes more planted, but without the harshness of a sporty ride. "So I'm LED to believe"

Hi again, thank you for everyone who followed up, yes, on closer look, they aren't Aero wheels, very similar though. Could do with have a tyre with a larger side wall and yes, lower the car a little.

I was looking at Eibach springs and sway bars, but it is just a little too pricey at the moment. http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/performance_suspension/suspension_systems/pro-plus . They'll lower the car by 20 mm and you use the same Lexus Shocks and the car becomes more planted, but without the harshness of a sporty ride. "So I'm led to believe"

Yeah they seem to be pricey for this car alot cheaper for the bmws usually only £140 for most bmws. I have found some gmax springs that look fairly good I will read into these when I get a chance that's a 20mm drop.

As for the tyres..... I need thicker ones but has just had brand new falkens put on for the mot :( and rears are like new also.... Shame really but I think I need it for comfort reasons. Can really hear and feel the road surface.

• Like 1

I spent ages and bored my wife half to death before I put my Hankook Ventus Prime K115 S's on . . B rated for Fuel efficiency and B rated for wet weather grip . . and only 70Db of noise from road surface . . . . . there's a site currently offering the Eibach pro springs at £243 incl delivery, but there are other brands . . .

And, no doubt, the quality of most parts these days, there shouldn't be a concern about whoever you go with.

• Like 1

Hi Welcome Naill

My 97 GS is currently in the garage for its MOT & the owner (with my consent) uses it to go home & back & has commented as to what a great car it is to drive, he loves it AND he was/is a BMW man. I suspect I'll soon see him owning a Lexus

• Like 1

What are the current tyre sizes you have on? If they are too skinny, but the right profile for the wheel, you may have to drop wheel size.

I could easy squeeze a bigger profile in the arch cap is monumental haha the rears have a 245/40/18 profile on which seems to be fine but the fronts are on 225/40/18 I think it needs knocking up to a 45 profile been a skinnier tire.

And the gmax springs do look ok but the arch gap... Wow I was hoping for more like a 35/40mm drop but I can't seem to find anything on that level. I reckon with bigger tires on I might change my mind about the drop

I actually think the wheels themselves look too small. But that would just be trying to find something to pick a fault with. As you've said, it's just had new tyres put on, so there's no point changing anything now. If you are going to put springs on anyway, I would say DON'T go as drastic as 40-45mm encase you do end up getting bigger wheels or higher profile tyres. 20-30mm drop should allow you to manage the drop on the current wheels and tyres and factor in larger wheels and/or tyres at a later stage.

• Like 1

I actually think the wheels themselves look too small. But that would just be trying to find something to pick a fault with. As you've said, it's just had new tyres put on, so there's no point changing anything now. If you are going to put springs on anyway, I would say DON'T go as drastic as 40-45mm encase you do end up getting bigger wheels or higher profile tyres. 20-30mm drop should allow you to manage the drop on the current wheels and tyres and factor in larger wheels and/or tyres at a later stage.

Good advice Stewart thanks :) I'm sure il figure out what wheels I will want once I have read up on a few projects etc! Cheers

• Like 1

What are the current tyre sizes you have on? If they are too skinny, but the right profile for the wheel, you may have to drop wheel size.

I could easy squeeze a bigger profile in the arch cap is monumental haha the rears have a 245/40/18 profile on which seems to be fine but the fronts are on 225/40/18 I think it needs knocking up to a 45 profile been a skinnier tire.

And the gmax springs do look ok but the arch gap... Wow I was hoping for more like a 35/40mm drop but I can't seem to find anything on that level. I reckon with bigger tires on I might change my mind about the drop

245/40/18 is the right size, so the 225 are too small on the profile, 245/45 would be closer (but slightly larger).

I can post some pics up of mine with the GMAX springs so you can get an idea of the ride height. I don't have any pics to hand right now though. I'd say they are pretty spot to be honest, my front bumper is far to prone to catching stuff already without going any lower.

245/40/18 is the right size, so the 225 are too small on the profile, 245/45 would be closer (but slightly larger).

I can post some pics up of mine with the GMAX springs so you can get an idea of the ride height. I don't have any pics to hand right now though. I'd say they are pretty spot to be honest, my front bumper is far to prone to catching stuff already without going any lower.

Great I'd appreciate the pics :D thanks! What wheel size are you running?

Great I'd appreciate the pics :D thanks! What wheel size are you running?

A few pics to show the ride height with the GMax springs.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links