Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlights Won't Turn On

Hi can any body help got a 2000 is200 when bought the car headlight relay was missing the last owner hard wired straight from we're relay is on a flick switch got a new relay side light work and flasher work from stalk checked all the fuses there all fine front fog lights don't work to can any body help as this will fail the mot which is due next week or is there more than one relay for headlights thanks

your best bet is to call out an auto electrician, i;ve found out that the IS wiring isn't as straightforward to follow as other brands.

I had this issue, it turned out to be the security unit under the dash. You can bypass that unit, you'll lose auto lights but they work as normal on the switch.

Whereabouts in lancs are you? I could maybe have a look?

I can hear a clicking sound from there when u turn the lights off or on to auto mode how far is morecombe from Liverpool did u have to replace the unit the lights work from the the switch the last owner put in so I no there is still power going to them from fuze board

Morecambes about an hour and a half I'd say.

I've done a lot of wiring on my car and other is's so I'm pretty sure I can fix it. Sound like the relay is still getting power it's just reconnecting whatever he's cut and then bypassing a couple of wires on the theft unit.

Lookin at it he has not cut any wires at all. All I can c is two wires comin from the switch straight into we're the relay should be with a fuze would it be worth getting another unit off another car my local breakers have got a is200 in what is the unit for and how much would u charge for doing it?

Which relay is it mate? That the wires go into?

It's up to you on the unit mate. I can have a look and try to figure the fault then you could decide if we work around it or you buy another one.

I'm not a garage or anything just me at my house so whatever, cash, beer not fussed. (Though cash for petrol for mine is appreciated lol)

It's the headlight relay under the bonnet it was not there when I got the car the wires of the switch r on spades and plug straight into we're the relay should be so I went a got got a relay from Lexus at the cost of £61 plugged it in and still not workin

Right I've just read your other thread as well.

It does look like its the theft unit at fault. What I would do would be cut wires 1 (red/black) and 12 (red yellow) on the theft unit and join them together. Put the relay back in.

That should fix it but you'd lose the auto lights as I said.

• 10 years later...