Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Pump Fluid Leak

My 2004 RX300 SE-L has developed a power steering pump fluid leak. It appears that the leak is coming from just behind the pump pulley wheel, probably the shaft oil seal. I had to top up the fluid reservoir as the level was well below the fill level.

Has anyone had a similar experience, if so, what was the repair/ replacement cost?

My 2005 rx300 has also developed a leak. I have just bought a seal kit from Lexus at a cost of £31.95. Gates do the same kit in America for a tenner but it costs about £20 to get it over here. Having done the cam belt which involved loosening of the ps pump I would say it will take a good few hours to do so you would probably be looking at £400 from Lexus.

Many thanks for the for your reply.

I was quoted £715 + vat from lexus just for a replacement pump. I went to my local technician who has removed the original pump and sent it to be remanufactured. Not sure how much it will cost but should know quite soon.

Kind regards

Barrie

My existing pump was removed and sent away for remanufacturing and has now been refitted and the fluid flushed and refilled. The rear diff. was also checked and topped up as there is a small leak from the oil seal . The whole job including labour charge totalled £410. I am not sure how much Lexus would have charged but, considering the pump price, well in excess of £1,000.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thank you ,It was quite straight forward did not have to remove the pulley but I did have to go out and get hold of 2 24mm spanners which I didn't have. That's what took me so long the diy shops were closed when I needed them, It went back on a lot easier than it came off but bleeding the system took a good while. While it was off I noticed that one of the pipes was badly corroded so took it off cleaned it up treated and sprayed it. Its just today passed the dreaded mot so alls good.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links