Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 430 04 Reg Power Tilt Motor.

Hi everyone!

I just have dismantled the steering column in my ls430 and i found the power tilt motor is jammed. It works in a short range, but it looks like the bearing is gone or something inside the motor is jamming it - it makes squeaky noises.

So it definitely has to be replaced.

Does anybody know were I can get this motor?

The part no. is 89231-50060

Thanks in advance

Hubert

Only from Lexus at around £300.00! But I have heard the same motor is used in the Toyota Landcruiser and costs half this amount.

There is one on Yahoo.jp at the moment for £51.00.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k160943838

There are also 3 being broken on eBay.

Other option choosen by some members is to manually set the stering wheel in the position you want then leave the motor disconnected.

OK! it is very easy,

First - move steering weel out to the limit - you need the igition on acc all the time, and opened driver door so chime is on - put the screwdriver into the door lock to swich the chime off.

Remove the screws - one on the bottom of steering column cover and two placed underneath steering wheel - you need turn the wheel to uncover the screws. Now gently place flat screwdriverbetween the covers and turn to split the bottom and top covers, then remove top cover, and the bottom one - be carefull with tilt jog.

Find two allen bolts placed on both sides of the steering column which are srewed into the tilt motor, disconnect the harness from the motor- orange plug and socket, and take off the black plastic bracket placed on the metal onthe left side of the steering column, undo the bolts and move the steering wheel up, the wheel must be supported during the job- get assistance or support by head.

Now you will seethe motor sitting in the metal base - try to turn it anticlockwise- if the axis is maximum screwed in - to loose potentially jammed axis that may be enough, now connect the orange plug to the socket and try to run power motor by tilt jog- if works smooth and without any silly noises job is done, if there are silly noises try to lubricate the bearing and axis and run the motor using jog from end to end. To completly remove the motor from the base you need take off the c- washer on the end of the axis- be prepared you'll probablly loose it, next turn the motor anticlockwise by hand to unscrew the axis from the base.

You can connect the motor to the harness and run it by jog to check how it works- it is easier to lubricate.

Whole operation took aprox 20 min for the very first time.

I just sent some emails to the breakers, but I am affraid that they have different steering columns - yhe part nos for the motor are different for cars produced 2001 -2003 part no is89231-50050, cars produced 2004-onwards 89231-50060 so they may differ.

Only from Lexus at around £300.00! But I have heard the same motor is used in the Toyota Landcruiser and costs half this amount.

There is one on Yahoo.jp at the moment for £51.00.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k160943838

There are also 3 being broken on ebay.

Other option choosen by some members is to manually set the stering wheel in the position you want then leave the motor disconnected.

Hi - My local indi fitted a third party replacement for less than the cost of the part from Lexus. The book time is 2.5 hours and as was posted here it only takes 20 mins to swap.

I would be wary of a part from a scrapper - you may not know its age, condition or how it was stored. I am on motor number 3 on my 430 after 200K miles.

Bren

Bren

I am still waiting for the reply from breakers, but already found one in US for 138 quids incl P&P and i can't see the reason to spend the money for the labour - thats simple job 20 min max.

That's a fairly good result at that price just be aware Royal Mail and then HMRC may take an interest in your package but even if they do you will still be quids in on the UK price.

I would be interested in having a play with the old motor in an attempt to see if a repair is possible, a bit of "Reverse Engineering."

If you are going to throw, sorry "recycle" the old motor would you consider posting it to me for a "post mortem"

I will obviously cover the cost of doing so.

Well, I have loosened it up and it works in a short range but stops from time to time, basically how it works now is enough for me, but awareness that it does not work properly and can fail in any moment forces me to looking for a solution.

Hey Will, you are right!

I've owned my Mk 3 LS 400 a little over a year now and I had always treated the tilting mechanism very gingerly as I did not expect it to work properly given the age of the car. After reading your post, armed with courage and determination, I got into my car and for about half an hour I continuously adjusted the steering wheel in every possible direction. At first the movements were jerky and hesitant but eventually everything smoothed out. Everything works perfectly now. When I switch off and take out the key the wheel raises majestically and retracts out of my way. Conversely, when I put the key into the ignition lock the wheel swings down and retracts to where I had left it. Everything now happens as described in the owner's manual!

Thank you so much,

Pepe

• Like 1

I must confess mine had the same problems as described. I lubricated via oil with a straw attached to be sure that the oil got the right place which is key. The first time I did it I did not use the straw attachment and it did not work because I did not get the oil to the right place. For the sake of buying an oil can with a straw fitted for a few pound it is worth a try. Mine also now works perfectly and silently!

Barry

It does make you wonder when with earlier models it was simply a case of putting a tupenny washer behind a cog to repair the motor and now with "technological advances" it means replacing the whole motor at £300.00.

A bit like the recent case with my washing machine where instead of replacing the drum bearings for a few pounds the design means replacing the whole drum for £165.00!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links