Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Wheels Question

jeffreyt

does anyone know if the wheels from other Lexus models /other makes will fit the SC430 ?

I'm guessing its a quesion of the stud pattern and the amount of space needed to clear the discs/brakes but there may be other criteria ie the offset.

I am beginning to realise there's more to 'wheels' than meets the eye and I would like to understand the

nitty gritty.

Thanks

Hi

If you give an alloy wheel company a call they will be able to tell you what all your measurements are and which wheels that they have in stock will fit.just give them your car details ,you can also give them the details of maybe a GS430 for example and see if the numbers match if they do you have a bigger choice of lexus wheels ,hope this helps .

Remember sometimes the answers are simple a wheel question =wheel shop .

I've got a set of four 17" Lexus wheels for an early LS430 sitting in my shed in Manchester, they are fitted with 225/55/17 winter tyres.

Would they have fitted an SC430 ?

John N

They are not for sale, it's the set I use for my winter tyres. I'm using my 'summer' wheels and tyres at the moment, so they would be available for someone to borrow for a couple of days while theirs were refurbished.

Picked them up on E-bay fully refurbished and fitted with part used tyres, paid less than the tyres were worth.

John N

Winter tyres ??? Now that always confuses me.

In the Uk we would have to change tyres every few weeks. Marketing wins on this one.

Do people know that if its not cold, snow and ice then winter tyres are much less effective on dry roads and increase the stopping distance.? In the Uk we rarely have winter conditions and when we do it can clear up for weeks and then return. So most people who swap would have to do so three or four times a year and at the right times. Do they ?? No they don't..

I would bet (and so would others who don't sell tyres) that those who have winter tyres are much more likely to be on the wrong type of tyre, for winter in the UK, at anyone time, than those who just rely on a good all round tyre.

In the Uk we would have to change tyres every few weeks. Marketing wins on this one.

Do people know that if its not cold, snow and ice then winter tyres are much less effective on dry roads and increase the stopping distance.? In the Uk we rarely have winter conditions and when we do it can clear up for weeks and then return. So most people who swap would have to do so three or four times a year and at the right times. Do they ?? No they don't..

I would bet (and so would others who don't sell tyres) that those who have winter tyres are much more likely to be on the wrong type of tyre, for winter in the UK, at anyone time, than those who just rely on a good all round tyre.

Not true.

Winter tyres are designed to perform better than Summer tyres when the temperiture is below 8deg, but there is no sudden change in performance. They don't 'fall of a cliff' as the temperiture rises, the same as Summer tyres don't suddenly go off as the temp falls. You just go by the average temp at the time.

Last year I put mine on at the end of November and kept tham on till mid April. The real advantage is the extra grip you get in ice, snow and slush, When it's like that they transform the car from a liability to a safe means of transport.

John N

Not true.

Winter tyres are designed to perform better than Summer tyres when the temperiture is below 8deg, but there is no sudden change in performance. They don't 'fall of a cliff' as the temperiture rises, the same as Summer tyres don't suddenly go off as the temp falls. You just go by the average temp at the time.

Last year I put mine on at the end of November and kept tham on till mid April. The real advantage is the extra grip you get in ice, snow and slush, When it's like that they transform the car from a liability to a safe means of transport.

John N

The only people who think its not true are those who have made money promoting the sale of a second set of tyres and those who believed them. No one really needs except for 4 or 5 weeks maximum a year. If you used them between November and April you were on a less effective tyre most of the time. I didn't drive my car in ice snow or slush more than 3 times in the whole of last year and it was the worst year we have had for a long time. You get nothing for nothing and winter tyres are less efficient most of the time and les effective too.

Not true.

John N

The only people who think its not true are those who have made money promoting the sale of a second set of tyres and those who believed them. No one really needs except for 4 or 5 weeks maximum a year. If you used them between November and April you were on a less effective tyre most of the time. I didn't drive my car in ice snow or slush more than 3 times in the whole of last year and it was the worst year we have had for a long time. You get nothing for nothing and winter tyres are less efficient most of the time and les effective too.

Again I have to say I don't believe that is true.

From experiance I definatly believe winter tyres perform better than summer tyres below 8 deg, and if you check the average temperitures for those months you will see they were the right tyre for the majority of the time.

In any case WINTER TYRES COST NOTHING EXTRA AND TYRE DEALERS MAKE NOTHING EXTRA OUT OF SELLING THEM.

How can that be true?

Well the simple fact is that a car can only wear out one set of tyres at a time.

Take the example of a car covering 40,000 miles a year and using tyres that last for 40,000 miles.

You would have to buy one set of tyres a year.

Compare that to a car covering the same distance using summer and winter tyres. For 9 months of the year it will use summer tyres and cover 30,000 miles i.e. 3/4 of the life of the tyres. For 3 months (Dec, Jan. & Feb.) it will run on winter tyres and cover 10,000 miles using 1/4 of the life of the winter tyres.

Over 4 years it will use 1 set of winter tyres and 3 sets of summer tyres. That is one set of tyres a year that will need to be bought - the same as the car using summer tyres all the time.

What does cost extra is the garage charges for changing the tyres twice a year if you only have one set of wheels. That is why people buy a cheap set of wheels to put their winter tyres on, once you have bought the wheels you can change them yourself in an hour and it will cost you no more in the long run.

Tyre dealers selling winter tyres don't sell more tyres they just need to carry a larger range of stock to satisfy the demands of customers who appreciate the safety advantages they give.

Deciding if you need winter tyres is another matter, if I lived in Cornwall I wouldn't bother, but in Scotland many people consider them a necessity.

John N

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not true.

John N

From experiance I definatly believe winter tyres perform better than summer tyres below 8 deg, and if you check the average temperitures for those months you will see they were the right tyre for the majority of the time.

In any case WINTER TYRES COST NOTHING EXTRA AND TYRE DEALERS MAKE NOTHING EXTRA OUT OF SELLING THEM.

How can that be true?

Well the simple fact is that a car can only wear out one set of tyres at a time.

Take the example of a car covering 40,000 miles a year and using tyres that last for 40,000 miles.

Compare that to a car covering the same distance using summer and winter tyres. For 9 months of the year it will use summer tyres and cover 30,000 miles i.e. 3/4 of the life of the tyres. For 3 months (Dec, Jan. & Feb.) it will run on winter tyres and cover 10,000 miles using 1/4 of the life of the winter tyres.

Over 4 years it will use 1 set of winter tyres and 3 sets of summer tyres. That is one set of tyres a year that will need to be bought - the same as the car using summer tyres all the time.

What does cost extra is the garage charges for changing the tyres twice a year if you only have one set of wheels. That is why people buy a cheap set of wheels to put their winter tyres on, once you have bought the wheels you can change them yourself in an hour and it will cost you no more in the long run.

Tyre dealers selling winter tyres don't sell more tyres they just need to carry a larger range of stock to satisfy the demands of customers who appreciate the safety advantages they give.

Deciding if you need winter tyres is another matter, if I lived in Cornwall I wouldn't bother, but in Scotland many people consider them a necessity.

John N

Yes John your right on an individual basis if the owner is going to keep the car through two full sets of tyres and use them equally in winter and summer it matters little apart from the fact that normal tyres have been developed very effectively over the years to be very efficient in all sorts of road surfaces and conditions.

Winter tyres are not even a definition of anything resembling a credible style of tyre for any condition of road surface or weather.

Winter is different all over the country and you righty say in Scotland, a winter tyre with more focus on ice or cold temperatures may well be appropriate at 'more' times of the year.

This leaves us with the image of people getting to the border and jacking the car up to change tyres its completely stupid. You may well use bold type and large letters but that just makes you look even more silly. Fact is in the UK weather changes weekly and changing tyres every 6 months is not wise.

However on the west coast of Scotland palm trees bloom and the weather is even mild when the centre of Scotland has snow drifts so even stopping at the border and changing tyres from your trailer attached (presumably) to the back of a 430SC !!! isn't going to be practical. Get real.

You will be on the wrong tyre for the conditions a lot more often than I will..

So I will be considerably safer that thou.

Your a victim of the tyre manufacturers aim to sell tyres to those who cant consider more than one variable at a time.

Not true.

John N

How can that be true?

John N

Yes John your right on an individual basis if the owner is going to keep the car through two full sets of tyres and use them equally in winter and summer it matters little apart from the fact that normal tyres have been developed very effectively over the years to be very efficient in all sorts of road surfaces and conditions.

Winter tyres are not even a definition of anything resembling a credible style of tyre for any condition of road surface or weather.

Winter is different all over the country and you righty say in Scotland, a winter tyre with more focus on ice or cold temperatures may well be appropriate at 'more' times of the year.

This leaves us with the image of people getting to the border and jacking the car up to change tyres its completely stupid. You may well use bold type and large letters but that just makes you look even more silly. Fact is in the UK weather changes weekly and changing tyres every 6 months is not wise.

However on the west coast of Scotland palm trees bloom and the weather is even mild when the centre of Scotland has snow drifts so even stopping at the border and changing tyres from your trailer attached (presumably) to the back of a 430SC !!! isn't going to be practical. Get real.

You will be on the wrong tyre for the conditions a lot more often than I will..

So I will be considerably safer that thou.

Your a victim of the tyre manufacturers aim to sell tyres to those who cant consider more than one variable at a time.

Think we are going to have to agree to differ on this one!

John N

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links