Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Change

kenfoxy

At 6 years old and 45k miles had my cambelt etc changed by Lexus. Car is now 12 years old but only done 66k miles. So only 21k miles since last cambelt. Does the 6 year rule still apply if Lexus fitted new parts in 2007? Hopefully, the new parts were improvements on the originals.

Yes get it done. mine was also done by Lexus in 2007 and just had mine done last week even tho still 20k off 60k mark. My mechanic said my belt was worn but couldnt see any signs personally but i dont know what to look for?

Ide give yourself this year to get it done deff before 2014 though. The main reason being is the tensioners and idlers need replacing, not so much the belt itself and without those its as good as no belt at all. No harm in taking a peak at the belt too, only take 5 mins

hi,the call is yours but personally I would have it done irregardless of only doing 21000 miles,remember it's which ever comes first,furthermore rubber perishes and deteriorates over time even with little use.

as i said after 6 years it will deteriorate but this is hard to check wear can be seen just change it as this will give you peace of mind as if it breaks this will be expensive

Doing mine tomorrow and it's only done 52k but no record of being done :/ might just be me being picky but I would honestly do it every 3 years or 40k just because they are prone to wear on the 4G-FE engine

Cam belt must be replaced by after every six years and after many o fthe Km/s i forgot but i m sure that after 6 years must really be replaced . . I m also thinking of achangin it but not managing time for it to be replaced.

For more details contact us: info@sydneyelitelimo.com.au 28 Sunny Crescent, Punchbowl NSW 2196 Phone #: 61-414974062 airport limo sydney | sydney airport limo | sydney limo

Decided to get mine done at Lexus Liverpool. They quoted me £300 inc vat including the tensioner and idler. I live 10 miles away and they will pick it up and return it free of charge. Thought that was pretty good and I and future buyers can get the reassurance that it is a guaranteed job with Lexus parts. I had a bad experience once with an independent that messed up a "major surgery" job on a Toyota. No problem with independents doing servicing.

Got car back. Roughly £200 labour, £100 parts.They also gave my car a health check. The undertray has gone missing during the past 12 years - £257.35 to replace. I knew about the wear on the tyres and the front pads. Front pads and discs - £282.90. Get those done locally when the time comes. Think I'll pass on the undertray.

Can't complain about the service.

£257.35 for an undertray? :lol:

IS's being broken a becoming more popular. I see a few come up every month, just get one off one of those.

Discs and pads is a bit of a joke as well. Get it done a lot cheaper than that.

Totally agree with you for going to Lexus for the cambelt change. I did the same. Service is fantastic :)

Got car back. Roughly £200 labour, £100 parts.They also gave my car a health check. The undertray has gone missing during the past 12 years - £257.35 to replace. I knew about the wear on the tyres and the front pads. Front pads and discs - £282.90. Get those done locally when the time comes. Think I'll pass on the undertray.

Can't complain about the service.

discs and pads very easy to do yourself btw if you want to save a few quid. cambelt not so easy, was very close to doing it myself but i chickened out lol. got mine done for around £300 too. and water pump. happy days. oh yeah and get a under tray from a heap for £20 or something

Did you change your 3 front belts as well? They say mine are worn but they look OK to me. (66k and 12 years old). The re are no frayed edges or splits. Looks an easy job to do so might get the parts on line (£22 delivered).

yeah forgot to mention. got 3 aux belts changes also. mechanic said they werent worn but changed em anyway as got a bit of a squeek on cold starts until warm. i got a SKF belt btw

hi kenfoxy did they change the idler and tensioner and belt as the 3 parts will come to £200 so i would check if they replaced all 3

Checked with Lexus. They changed the belt (£65), tensioner (£35). I queried the idler and was informed that they don't change the idler unless there is a problem on inspection. I'm happy with that as they would not want to guarantee the job if the idler was worn or liable to failure.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone got any recommendations on where to buy all the parts required from? I'm looking into doing mine soon but don't know the best place to get the right parts from.

Yes, Lexus dealer.

Not much in it buying parts only from a dealer. It'll literally be a few £ in it or just as cheap as a jap parts supplier or eBay. It's on labour the main dealers kill you and charge the earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Did my cambelt yesterday. Got the belt kit (belt and tensioner) from Lexus Birmingham's eBay site (£95 delivered). Didn't change the idler. Got coolant from Toyota dealer (a whopping £60 for 10litres!, but only used 5 - expecting 7 - presumably because I never drained the heater block). My old belt was 10yrs and 55000 miles. Worn on the edges, and stretched by half a tooth. Had to turn the camshaft forward, which was not something I was expecting. Checked a thousand times, but all the timing marks line up and she runs perfectly.