Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Comparing A '98 Ls400 To A 02/03 Sc430

jpjsavage

Seriously thinking about trying to pick up an SC430 (probably look at an 02/03 for my budget) to go alongside my Mark 4 LS400. Has anyone here owned both? Apart from the obvious differences, how does the drive compare? I love the look of the SC430 and the darker wood interiors do look fantastic too.

There's no comparison between the the two ,everyone who sees my gold with saddle hide(tan/orange ) interior falls in love with it ,so keep an eye out for one ,you never get bored of people staring and coming over to have a look at it.do you get the same with your LS ,and as for power and drive it's just a love affair .

I think the LS400 is a more subtle car, but with great power when needed and a kind of wafty handling! I'm sure they would be very different to try. Any members with an SC430 near Sandbach? Would love to see one in the flesh.

I know they're different. It's just that I own a LS400 and I was wondering how the SC430 might compare in relation to that (given that I don't have one yet). Clearly, they are different in all kinds of ways. I'm just interested in hearing from people who have experienced both (unlike me). I'm not really interested in any value judgements because, as you say, they are different and it would be silly to make direct comparisons as if they were the same.

• Like 1

I know they're different. It's just that I own a LS400 and I was wondering how the SC430 might compare in relation to that (given that I don't have one yet). Clearly, they are different in all kinds of ways. I'm just interested in hearing from people who have experienced both (unlike me). I'm not really interested in any value judgements because, as you say, they are different and it would be silly to make direct comparisons as if they were the same.

Perhaps we should 'compare and contrast'?

Personally I would love to drive an LS400, mainly because they are so different and such great value at this time.

So although I enjoyed the trip home today with the hood down (doesn't happen too often),

I would still love a sedate drive in a proper LS400!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfection!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some have said these cars don't compare - my view is that this is the whole point of of these cars!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should we desire to own cars that are similar - "I don't think so"

So if you are ever in Northern Ireland (Belfast), I would be more than happy to lend you an SC for a day out.

Unfortunately the wood is of the lighter shade which is my preference :innocent: )

You never know - you could be tempted?

If ever interest, just PM me.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would love to drive an LS400, mainly because they are so different and such great value at this time.

So although I enjoyed the trip home today with the hood down (doesn't happen too often),

I would still love a sedate drive in a proper LS400!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfection!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some have said these cars don't compare - my view is that this is the whole point of of these cars!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you are ever in Northern Ireland (Belfast), I would be more than happy to lend you an SC for a day out.

Unfortunately the wood is of the lighter shade which is my preference :innocent: )

Mark

Not sure why an LS 400 would appeal to anyone who wanted a 430 SC. So you may be looking for a v

Mark

I think the SC430 is quite sedate with the roof up or down and I think I would like the LS 400 apart from the looks. I am not particularly a Lexus fanatic I bought my 430SC because I thought it was good value and I like V8s.

But personally I think for the 400 LS to appeal to me it would have to have another 100 BHP. Just my thoughts. Not a Lexus fanatic but since owning the 430SC for over a year I am very, very impressed with Lexus. Apart from the Sat Nav (and mine is updated to 2012) which is not in my opinion as good as a £75 Navman. Sad but true.

• Like 1

Thanks alphacat!

I know where you are coming from, but for me it is different.

Having also owned an SC430 for a year, it has made me want to broaden the 'Lexus" experience further.

Personally I would love to own an LS, RX and GS to complete the experience (finances permitting!).

As a new Lexus owner, I am now 'a fanatic'!!!!!!!!

Just looked it up and it seems to me the LS400 is very dated now and the LS430 LS460 and LS480 are all later models. The LS430 having the SC430 engine. The LS460 having over 320bhp and the LS 480 having even more. I haven't seen many of these later 'big' Lexus models but the extra power in the later two would appeal to me The LS480 has an 8 speed auto box and if its half as good as the 6 speed auto in my SC430 I would love to drive one. I compared mine with my son's 335 BMW 6 speed auto and we both agreed the Lexus was better in every way particularly on engine breaking in sports mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked it up and it seems to me the LS400 is very dated now.

It must be my age, but sometimes it's nice to look at a 90's vehicle.

By the way, sometimes the ride is more important than just power and looks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked it up and it seems to me the LS400 is very dated now.

It must be my age, but sometimes it's nice to look at a 90's vehicle.

By the way, sometimes the ride is more important than just power and looks!

I agree ride is important but I am only 68 years old and still like power and looks. when I am a bit older I may put away childish things but at present I am still enjoying going past boy racers.... the Mk2 430SC has such a good pick up between 60 and 100mph its better in my eyes than the Audi S4 ( I had a new one same age as my Lexus) and that's got 340bhp. Even my son is impressed and he is an M3 person (he has had two of them ) sad to say.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links