Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Size And Power - Need A New One

Hi all,

time for my LS to have a new Battery as taking longer to crank - checked alternator and all ok. What size do I need for my 1997 Mk3? the one that was in the car when I bought it does not fit the tray or the clamp correctly and it is a GM/Vauxhall type!!

Also if anyone could tell me the correct - Ah, DIN, Amps etc.

Many thanks as usual to anyone who can help and hope you are all enjoying the sun.

Jeremy :outforcount:

When I needed one a couple of years ago the local Lexus main dealers spares department turned out to be cheapest!

You can be sure of getting the right size as well, just ask for a discount!

John N

Thanks for the replies gentlemen - my choice of Lexus dealers are Lincoln or Cambridge, both approx. an hour either way....purchased a Varta silver with 5 year guarantee for my BMW, so I don't have a problem with buying a quality aftermarket Battery like this or a Bosch for example and fit it myself as then I can clean everything up properly including the undertray etc.

All I know is that the LS is quite power hungry and apparently it takes around 11 volts just to power the display! maybe I should put a solar panel on the roof :outforcount:

Quite simply, the only provider of the correct Battery to actually fit the slot in the Mk3 is Toyota / Lexus and the cost is less expensive than any other make and it will probably last 5 years and it actually FITS.

Personal experience.

Malc

Yes also agree, OEM Toyota Battery sealed for life for mine was around £60.00. Perfect fit for the tray and the Battery cover ( yes still have mine on!) and the terminals are the correct way around ( for some reason a lot of aftermarket batteries for the LS have the terminals reversed so although fitting is possible the leads need stretching/straining to fit).

Plus Toyota batteries look nice with their red and white labelling under the bonnet :D

Good idea whilst the Battery is out to remove the plastic tray it sits on ( 4 10mm bolts) and clean the area underneath and the tray itself.

Finally don't overtighten the terminals and snap a post off, seen it done at a garage once!

Thanks for the replies gentlemen - my choice of Lexus dealers are Lincoln or Cambridge, both approx. an hour either way....purchased a Varta silver with 5 year guarantee for my BMW, so I don't have a problem with buying a quality aftermarket battery like this or a Bosch for example and fit it myself as then I can clean everything up properly including the undertray etc.

All I know is that the LS is quite power hungry and apparently it takes around 11 volts just to power the display! maybe I should put a solar panel on the roof :outforcount:

Hi My Lord

I am not sure where you got 11v to power the display from - if a lead acid Battery is showing 11V it is flat. Approximate readings are 12.6V 100% charge, 12.1 V 50% charge and 11.7V no charge - only approximate and with not load on the bat so with a lexus that probably means disconnected.

Don't forget a lead acid Battery does not like being flattened - it's life will be shortened. If you bat seems weak charge it up before starting the car.

Good luck - the correct Battery is easy to find for between £70 and £120 with a 3 year guarrantee - people will try and sell you a premium Battery but it will probably just have more capacity than is required.

Bren

Thanks for the replies gentlemen - my choice of Lexus dealers are Lincoln or Cambridge, both approx. an hour either way....purchased a Varta silver with 5 year guarantee for my BMW, so I don't have a problem with buying a quality aftermarket battery like this or a Bosch for example and fit it myself as then I can clean everything up properly including the undertray etc.

Hi My Lord

I am not sure where you got 11v to power the display from - if a lead acid Battery is showing 11V it is flat. Approximate readings are 12.6V 100% charge, 12.1 V 50% charge and 11.7V not charge - only approximate and with not load on the bat so with a lexus that probably means disconnected.

Don't forget a lead acid Battery does not like being flattened - it's life will be shortened. If you bat seems weak charge it up before starting the car.

Good luck - the correct Battery is easy to find for between £70 and £120 with a 3 year guarrantee - people will try and sell you a premium Battery but it will probably just have more capacity than is required.

Bren

Bren your technical knowledge is absolutely amazing, you surprise me each time when you post on things technical. Mike

Hi My Lord

I am not sure where you got 11v to power the display from - if a lead acid Battery is showing 11V it is flat. Approximate readings are 12.6V 100% charge, 12.1 V 50% charge and 11.7V not charge - only approximate and with not load on the bat so with a lexus that probably means disconnected.

Bren

Bren your technical knowledge is absolutely amazing, you surprise me each time when you post on things technical. Mike

Mike - thanks for your kind words - I have an engineering degree so tend to dig into things and like most people on here don't always take the first thing I am told as gospel. Batteries are a fun topic and are very useful until they let you down when you most need them - usually when it is cold, wet and dark.

Cheers

Bren

• Like 1

Can't go wrong at that price, motorfactors were asking £120.00 when I was looking for mine.

The new Toyota Battery had so much power when fitted I thought it was going to throw the engine out when cranking!

Plus we are at least keeping some Spaniards in work!

• 1 year later...

My experience of aftermarket batteries for the mighty MkIV LS400 is that they don't quite fit, despite being specified for the vehicle. A Lexus dealer will fit a new Battery, keeping all your radio codes and seat memory settings, and dispose of your old Battery, for about £100. They'll usually wash and hoover the car too. I think that's a pretty reasonable deal :)

• Like 1

I would go with Lexus, I did last time, no problems, tea and biscuits, the morning paper, Sky news oh and not forgetting a very pretty receptionist. They were also cheaper than some quotes which required me fitting it. Mike.

If you do not want to go down the main dealer route, I can recommend a Varta Type 068 70Ah Battery from Tayna Ltd (www.tayna.co.uk), who have a wide range of batteries at cheaper prices than I have seen elsewhere.

I bought one of these batteries at the beginning of 2013 for my 1996 LS400 and have recently bought the same one for my 1997 LS400.

The one I bought recently was £65.50, which included delivery. It comes with a 4 year warranty and is a perfect fit in the Battery tray.

The cars have always started without any problem, whatever the weather.

• Like 1

Here you go.

attachicon.gifDSCF0736s.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your responses - Steve, that is the Battery I have just purchased from Toyota in Boston £88 incl. Vat with 3 years guarantee.

Nice one - I did the same after worrying about fit. I also noticed it was difficult to get the same spec as the OEM, most were under the cold cranking amps and sizes were allover the place. Prices not special either and Lexus was same price as yours.

Most expensive quote was from Kwik Fit, takes a few minutes to fit so that can't justify their £140 odd...from memory...

£24?!! - Was that new? - Delivered?

Ebay (battery dept.) chancer of the week: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121659307453?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not new but in very good condition, fully charged. 11 miles away from me, so I picked it up, had it for a week now, so far so good. I can feel the extra charge flowing all around. Tarun

• 2 years later...

Hi.  New member here.  Been coming here for years looking for answers.  Didn't feel the need to contribute, but I do now.

Firstly thanks for all the good information here.

Secondly I can confirm that even now (2017) the dealer has competitive Battery prices.  £86.50 Lexus Sidcup.  Order by 11, in store by 3 he said, we'll see.

Last Battery I bought was from Halfrauds.  They listed two and because i'm fundamentally "frugal", I selected the cheaper one.  WRONG!  Too small, terminal wrong way around.  I made it work but I wasn't happy they had listed an incorrect Battery.  Seems others here have had similar experiences.  That one's dead now so time to do the right thing,

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links