Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Forget all the technical stuff. I feel sorry for the front passenger who's going to end up with a very painful right arm. The only place for them to rest it is on a hard bit of plastic with a couple of cup holders for comfort. Did Lexus not put a passenger in the seat when they designed it??

http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/is/is-300h/index.tmex#/Accessories It looks like the ash tray accessory is designed to fit in the arm rest cup holder. If not, surely Lexus or someone else will soon start selling a small plug padded in black leather to fit the cup holders.

Delighted to be owner of first 3rd Generation IS sold in Northern Ireland (attached).

Having spent a couple of hours driving in heavy traffic due to the World Police and Fire Games, I'm struggling to fault it.

What's more, the HD DVD player is a real treat. post-47290-0-03368000-1375368178_thumb.j

I've attached for comparison a pic of the 300h hybrid model with diffuser and the 250 petrol model with the normal exhaust. There's as much difference between them, I'd say, as there is between the F-sport and non-F versions at the front.

Out if interest, Lexus Belfast seems to think it will sell more with the darker interior - worth considering re re-sale value. Across the UK, I know Lexus expects the hybrid to out-sell the 250 by 3:1 or 4:1. Given the tax differential (and, in my view anyway, the better looks) this is unsurprising.

A few points from my own week with the car thus far, at around 280 miles:

- consumption is reasonable, but you do lose when you first turn on the car (as EV is initially unavailable, similar to stop-start in other cars) - roughly 40mpg in sport mode, 50mpg in normal and 60mpg driving carefully on longer journeys (25 miles plus);

- comfort/refinement are outstanding - the seat envelops you, the car is incredibly quiet even with the petrol engine operating, and although you feel the bumps they are not coarse (and you're supposed to feel them in a sports saloon);

- driving is good and in particular steering is phenomenal - I personally find I rarely feel like pushing the car (but the oomph is there if you really want it) but the highlight has been the steering which makes even familiar roads an entirely new experience;

- gadgets are good, but do take time to get used to - I like the mouse-style controller (even though inputting from keyboard can occasionally get frustrating), the reverse camera offers a superbly wide view, the DVD HD/surround is exceptional, and CD sound is good (playing music off Bluetooth is ever so slightly disappointing, though I've experienced no "jumping" as elsewhere);

- sat-nav is fine, if somewhat unattractive (I haven't got beyond signing up for the Connected Services so I've no idea what they are like yet); and

- the lights are great - the headlights are automatic (and come on even going under bridges temporarily or in rain) and the internal lights come on as you approach the car.

An ever so slight niggle is that when you use the screen wash the wipers frequently fail to respond. But I've had no difficulty with the indicators (as reported elsewhere), have experienced no sat-nav lag, and would add that, directly contrary to one review, you absolutely *can* fit an iPad into the glove compartment (storage is fine, if not exceptional).

Having taken a punt and bought the car before it was even in the showrooms, I took a hell of a risk! But thus far I have no regrets at all.

post-47290-0-63103100-1375795509_thumb.j

post-47290-0-16973200-1375795554_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi Ian, Many thanks again for keeping us all posted with your early experiences. I was hoping it'd be possible to use EV mode when you need to move the car a few yards to avoid wasting petrol and wear, which is always at it's worst when starting a cold petrol engine. Assuming the Battery has sufficient charge is there no way to do this using the EV button or something?

Roger,

Yes, that's absolutely possible. Actually I did precisely that earlier today to move the car out of line of the neighbours' kids' cricket match!

What I can't do is make it fully out of the development in which I live to the main road (a distance of about a kilometre) solely on EV from a cold start; whereas I can make it in again (even when just going to the shops).

Just one more thing - Lexus Belfast has in a metallic black 300h SE. I must say I was very impressed, albeit merely by looking through the windows, at the "fabric" trim (which actually appears at least to be semi-leather).

Unless buyers really want heated seats etc, there is certainly a case for sticking with the fabric. Certainly, it's worth negotiating down the additional cost of the leather.

I've attached for comparison a pic of the 300h hybrid model with diffuser and the 250 petrol model with the normal exhaust. There's as much difference between them, I'd say, as there is between the F-sport and non-F versions at the front.

Out if interest, Lexus Belfast seems to think it will sell more with the darker interior - worth considering re re-sale value. Across the UK, I know Lexus expects the hybrid to out-sell the 250 by 3:1 or 4:1. Given the tax differential (and, in my view anyway, the better looks) this is unsurprising.

A few points from my own week with the car thus far, at around 280 miles:

- consumption is reasonable, but you do lose when you first turn on the car (as EV is initially unavailable, similar to stop-start in other cars) - roughly 40mpg in sport mode, 50mpg in normal and 60mpg driving carefully on longer journeys (25 miles plus);

- comfort/refinement are outstanding - the seat envelops you, the car is incredibly quiet even with the petrol engine operating, and although you feel the bumps they are not coarse (and you're supposed to feel them in a sports saloon);

- driving is good and in particular steering is phenomenal - I personally find I rarely feel like pushing the car (but the oomph is there if you really want it) but the highlight has been the steering which makes even familiar roads an entirely new experience;

- gadgets are good, but do take time to get used to - I like the mouse-style controller (even though inputting from keyboard can occasionally get frustrating), the reverse camera offers a superbly wide view, the DVD HD/surround is exceptional, and CD sound is good (playing music off Bluetooth is ever so slightly disappointing, though I've experienced no "jumping" as elsewhere);

- sat-nav is fine, if somewhat unattractive (I haven't got beyond signing up for the Connected Services so I've no idea what they are like yet); and

- the lights are great - the headlights are automatic (and come on even going under bridges temporarily or in rain) and the internal lights come on as you approach the car.

An ever so slight niggle is that when you use the screen wash the wipers frequently fail to respond. But I've had no difficulty with the indicators (as reported elsewhere), have experienced no sat-nav lag, and would add that, directly contrary to one review, you absolutely *can* fit an iPad into the glove compartment (storage is fine, if not exceptional).

Having taken a punt and bought the car before it was even in the showrooms, I took a hell of a risk! But thus far I have no regrets at all.

Thanks again for posting your findings Ian - I'd be absolutely delighted if I could get anywhere near 50mpg - the CT I have at the moment gets 46mpg tops - I'm only realistically expecting 40mpg from the 300h.

You've obviously started to test the full BHP lol

I had a CT as a loaner while the GS250 was in for a service and managed over 60mpg in town. Thats how gently I normally drive. In the GS 19-22 is all I can get. God knows what I might achieve if I were to drive like everyone else.

Hi everyone,

I've also test driven the new IS and I'll type up my findings some time soon. I had a nice write up until I lost my draft in Gmail.

I had compared the IS to an Audi A3, VW Golf, Ford Focus and Volvo V40 which I have all test driven. Yes, I was in the market for a hatch until I saw the IS!

Could anyone comment on the ride comfort (suspenion) vs other sedans? I did not find the IS harsh or even firm, but somehow I thought the IS would be lots softer. Reviews seem to hint on 'not hard but firm nonetheless'.

I drove one on 17" wheels and I think it was fitted with run flat tires. Further more, the dealer had inflated the tires to 2.65- 2.8 except for 1, which was too low at 2.35. I deflated them all to 2.55 but of course I had no immediately means to inflate the one that was too low.

ps: I'm from Belgium so we both share poor roads:-)

Hi Jeroen,

Well, for various reasons over the past 18 months I've had access to a 2006 Audi A3 1.4, a 2013 Volvo V40 D2 and a 2009 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec. For me, but this is purely a personal opinion, my IS300h is smoother than all of them over rough surfaces (admittedly the A3 and Focus were both previous generation, so not an entirely fair comparison); yet also has more direct steering (funny, of the above, I'd say the Focus runs it closest in that).

I have to say I found the V40 a disappointment, having owned four Volvos. The styling is superb (especially in black) and there are some delightful internal touches, so I can see why it is selling, but for me the ride was truly awful.

That said, my previous car was a 2008 (current generation) Volvo S80 with chassis settings options, and in "comfort" it was significantly smoother over rough surfaces than the Lexus; on the other hand, the penalty for that was unresponsive steering even in the stiffest setting. So give me the Lexus any day.

So, like you, I probably thought the IS would be softer than it is, but I've come to appreciate why it isn't, if you see what I mean!

hi Ian,

Seeing I won't have time to retype my write up (it was about 1,5 pages) I'll comment on the suspension only as you almost drove the same cars as I have (apart from the new Golf then). I've test driven all these cars on the same bad road. Every 2-4 metres there is a new sheet of concrete separated by black stuff (tar?)they pour in between. Needles to say every single sheet has an annoying height difference only more annoying being the sheer amount of sheets you have to travel over. I hope you can relate to this type of road.

Let's start with the V40 1.6 petrol (16 inch wheels):

The V40 was pretty good in the front. It was fairly soft, the seats were the best I've ever sat in apart from the non-adjustable head support. And, the 1.6 engine was so quiet. I feel the Volvo is noticeably quieter than the Lexus or any other car I have driven to date. Is it just me, or was the Volvo wobbly in the front? The kind of feeling you'd get with under inflated tires. Anyway I digress.

But, oh my, in the back the suspension was so different. The rear axle took a nasty beating when going over every small short bump (not a speed bump mind you). I don't know why they stiffened up the rear so much but it was definitely far too firm for our type of roads. The worst were recessions (so a"pothole") over the entire width of the road. Imagine a sewer tube cut in half kind of pothole. My friend described that as "stomach in throat feeling" when we crossed its path.

Audi A3 1.4 latest model (also 16 inch wheels although I'm not 100% sure):

This car was fun to drive! The suspension was not really soft, but not harsh or firm either. I'd go with normal. Sure the back was a tad harder than the front as in most cars. At the front the ride was pretty good, at the rear still more than acceptable. I feel this suspension is very close to the Lexus IS 300h. Well balanced indeed.

Only the Lexus's is a bit softer in the back (sedan advantage perhaps). The seats though were too hard and no comfort seats were available. Also the angle of the seat was non-adjustable. That and the price crossed it of my list. But the Audi was definitely a good drive and never left you feeling, auch, that bump hurt.

VW Golf 1.4 latest model (don't remember wheel size. Was definitely not over 16"):

This car's standard suspension was very soft compared to the other cars. It was one of the first things me and my friend said. I just wish I had not forgotten my tire meter. It took every bump brilliantly. Even hard bumps, recessions across the entire width of the road (where I thought the Volvo would get damaged by sooner or later), were a non-issues. Yes, the trade off is steering precision and you lose an engaging drive. Fit this car with the semi-active magnetic ride suspension to harden it up when wanted and it will be very, very good.

Now for the IS 300h (17" wheels):

Suspension wise I'd say it is on par with the Audi. I'd have to drive them back to back to be sure. Lexus is a bit softer at the rear but the front is a bit more tricky to compare. The Lexus' seats are superior to the Audi's so that kind of waters down an exact comparison attempt. The Lexus never felt hard or too firm, but never plushy soft either. It is a similar kind of refinement you would find in the Audi. I'd have to test drive again but for longer than a mere hour and a half. Just to get over the initial excitement that this car might be the next one I'll break the bank for:).

Was your Lexus equipped with run flat tires? I think mine was but I'll have to check with the dealership.

ps: sorry for the probably many spelling mistakes. I hope all is well enough to be clear.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just a quick introduction from me.

I am Michael, age 45, from Leicestershire. I am awaiting delivery of my new IS any day now, it is currently at Portbury Docks Bristol and I should get it around the 19th August I have been told.

I pre-ordered it in March, so it's been a long wait, and I only test drove the car on Saturday, my first ever drive in a Lexus, and was very impressed.

On my test drive (IS 300h Premier model) I wanted to really test the MPG capabilities so I drove normally to the speed limits with my partner and daughter also in the car, with the climate control on, I managed 57.6 mpg over about an hour of mixed driving, mostly eco mode, some in sport mode to try out the impressive acceleration.

The car is a private purchase and I have ordered the IS 300h Premier, Celestial Black, Ivory Leather, Sunroof, with the ACC/PCS/LDA/AHB option.

In summary, looking forward to owning my first Lexus.

Could anyone upload the Lexus UK brochure and price list? They all seem to differ between countries:-). Just being a curious. I might buy mine in the Netherlands instead of my own country:-)

Hi all,

Just a quick introduction from me.

I am Michael, age 45, from Leicestershire. I am awaiting delivery of my new IS any day now, it is currently at Portbury Docks Bristol and I should get it around the 19th August I have been told.

I pre-ordered it in March, so it's been a long wait, and I only test drove the car on Saturday, my first ever drive in a Lexus, and was very impressed.

On my test drive (IS 300h Premier model) I wanted to really test the MPG capabilities so I drove normally to the speed limits with my partner and daughter also in the car, with the climate control on, I managed 57.6 mpg over about an hour of mixed driving, mostly eco mode, some in sport mode to try out the impressive acceleration.

The car is a private purchase and I have ordered the IS 300h Premier, Celestial Black, Ivory Leather, Sunroof, with the ACC/PCS/LDA/AHB option.

In summary, looking forward to owning my first Lexus.

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum

I too ordered my IS300h (F Sport) early in the year and have been told that it should arrive at the dealership sometime around the middle of this month.

I'm also really looking forward to its arrival, even though I haven't even had a test drive! Risky, I know, but I have had several Lexus models in the past and I know that I won't be disappointed.

Thing is, would we both not be wise to wait just a couple of extra weeks to take advantage of the new plate change in September?

Even though I will have a private plate, come trade in time waiting just that little bit longer will have an advantageous effect on residuals. Having said that I know that if my dealer tells me it has arrived within the next week or so I will be sorely tempted to just go for it! :lol:

Jeroen,

Jouw Engels is veel beter dan mijn Nederlands!

The UK/Ireland specifications are entirely different from those in Continental Europe, for fairly obvious reasons. So I wouldn't worry too much about them (although you should be able to have a brochure emailed via www.lexus.co.uk). As you say, they do also differ between countries, even between the UK and (the Republic of) Ireland - for example, the 250 petrol version isn't available at all in the Republic and the names of the trim levels are different.

I know Lexus Netherlands has a blog similar to the UK Lexus one, you could check that out for details of specifications there. You may be right, as a slightly larger market there may be more options there, provided there is no cost to import.

Michael

Welcome! You took a very similar risk to me, I ordered without ever having driven a Lexus before.

So basically you've gone for the fully loaded! The one advantage I had going for a more popular version was I got it sooner, ordered mid-May and arrived 31 July.

Will be very interested to hear what you make of it including all the gadgets. 57.6mpg over an hour sounds about right to me - which is pretty impressive given these are new cars not yet "run in".

David

What options did you go for specifically? I wonder why you've had to wait quite so long, though admittedly I've only seen one F-sport even in the showroom.

david / Ian, thanks for you comments, as i intend to keep this car for 7 or 8 years, hence why I ordered a fully loaded one, it doesn't bother me about not waiting until 1st Sept, and i will be picking it up with my private plate on anyway. I drive about 28k per year, so the residuals in 8 years time for a car that will have done 224 miles (yikes) will be almost nothing anyway.

Is the keyless entry system optional on non-premium versions? I *love* it on my IS-F but don't see the point it getting the premium and can't find much info on lexus.ie.

It seems to me the F-Sport version is full of gimmicks like the IFA inspired TFT speedo gauge replacement. Are there any features in it that are worth it as obviously you don't get any real performance benefits other than perhaps tweaked handling... I do like the look of the seats :)

As an aside did anyone look at the BMW 320D or similar models in comparison to the new IS? I note that the price of the IS premium is cheaper than a base spec M Sport 320D here in ireland which surprised me. Adding any of the options available on the IS Premium pushes the 320 over 50k!

Ian it would be interesting for you to post follows up of long term fuel economy as some annoying reviews (i.e. the telecraph suggested a 300mile average of 33mpg!) suggest very poor econ. I'm hoping for > 50mpg over long term. My wifes CT (2011 launch model) is getting over 55mpg over 30k miles.

The keyless entry is standard on all UK specs. I can't speak for IRL.

UK reviews, with the very odd exception, appal me for their bias and inaccuracy:

- "We only got 40mpg": yeah, in Sport mode accelerating like a maniac; usually you get 50-55 for a short journey and I've already got over 60 for Belfast-Carnlough;

- "The glove compartment is small and an iPad doesn't fit in it": no it isn't and yes it does;

- "The steering lacks feel": show me a car with better steering;

etc etc.

The seats are excellent in any version, btw!

Hitting 55mpg again today, over about 20 miles.

One minor niggle: the boot lid. This is not automated (as it is with Jaguar and some of the Germans) and is irritatingly designed in such a way that I rarely get it fully closed first time, always having to press down subsequently from above. Can't quite believe it is so basic on a car which is otherwise so advanced!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links