Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've watched those youtube videos of the IS300h on "hot" laps....you can hear the synthesised engine noise which is hardly electrifying, with real engine droning along in the background....its truly bizarre. I think Lexus must have lost the plot, really they shouldn't have bothered.

Those videos aren't working for me Derek, but if its the various dealers staff getting taken round the track then yes those are the ones.

Thanks for that link, hadnt seen that one. One of the best reviews yet for the 300h i think. Some of them ive seen are very biased. Also first review that shows a bit of the interior and dash.

If that active sound switch was an actual amplification of the engine like some then ok, but its just fake with a captical F

it has zero to do with engine, the engine performs as it would in a CVT, this is a cabin synthesised engine noise to replicate engine noise and gear changes even though there isn't any.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at my local dealership (Lexus Newcastle) this morning to hand over my Evoque in preparation for the arrival of my IS300h F Sport in mid August. The Sales Manager had just taken delivery of his own and one of the first IS300's in the country. He let me have a look at it in the preparation bay and I must say it looks so much better in the flesh. It truly is like nothing else on the road and the lines of the car are absolutely fantastic. Quality is first class throughout. If anyone is thinking of taking the plunge, don't even think twice, when you see it for real it will take your breath away. Roll on August :flowers:

• Like 1

David,

Just popped by Lexus Hatfield on the way from the Continent back to Northern Ireland and agree entirely.

I was particularly impressed by the interior, which in pictures looks a bit 'busy' but in reality looks utterly slick and classy.

And the front grille isn't an issue at all, it's superb.

• Like 1

I've taken a brief test drive in a rather good looking IS300h f-sport today. I have to say whilst the CVT is still very alien to the traditional driving experience and not ever what i'd want it was very nice. the interior in particular was beautiful and very appealing. It was very brief drive and whilst it never felt quick, it was very smooth, and the refinement of the 4 cylinder petrol is a huge improvement over the 1.8 in the CT.

One of the best improvements...........split folding rear seats, makes a saloon so much more practical.

Just wish I'd had longer to have a play with all the buttons......as the dealers representative who took me out, knew absolutely nothing about the car. :angry:

I may speak to them again to see if I can borrow one for longer.

I've taken a brief test drive in a rather good looking IS300h f-sport today. I have to say whilst the CVT is still very alien to the traditional driving experience and not ever what i'd want it was very nice. the interior in particular was beautiful and very appealing. It was very brief drive and whilst it never felt quick, it was very smooth, and the refinement of the 4 cylinder petrol is a huge improvement over the 1.8 in the CT.

One of the best improvements...........split folding rear seats, makes a saloon so much more practical.

Just wish I'd had longer to have a play with all the buttons......as the dealers representative who took me out, knew absolutely nothing about the car. :angry:

Hi Mr W

I'm intrigued on how the "six step CVT box" actually works - I know it is supposed to mimic a traditional auto box but does this just happen when using paddle shift or does it also happen in normal cvt mode? - I agree with you re the interior although it does split the odd opinion here and there, someone on this forum mentioned that he is disappointed in the cheapness of the materials used :unsure:

There are no steps and It doesn't mimic any traditional or automated manual/dual clutch auto box i've ever driven.

Its always as described, a continuously variable transmission. Even in sport the paddles just electronically give you a fake engine noise to the approximate physical ratios, but in reality that's not what's happening mechanically, no steps etc, in fact I couldn't even hear the noise, maybe it was on mute! For me the paddles did nothing other than change a number on the dash board, and may have provoked a slight engine braking sensation. when you changed the number from 3 to 2 for instance. Completely rubbish system, and actually detracts from the car IMO. just use leave it in Auto and waft, because really that's what its really suited too.

The interior I really like, however I can see some peoples point, some of it looks a little low rent in places when looking at the current IS, however its still a very nice place to be, the wheel in particular is lovely.

Its a lovely car, if they made a 300+bhp model, with a auto like the ISF or a manual, I'd be seriously tempted, the dealer told me they are taking deposits now for the fast one, presumably the F.

MrW, if they're taking deposits for the 'fast' one, are they giving any details for what your handing your money over for as I've heard zip about a proper new IS-F replacement... any digging you can do?

Has anyone considered / looked at or compared the new(ish) 320d efficient dynamics over the IS300h? I doubt the claimed MPG is even remotely doable...it will be like the CT, claim 68mpg and get 50mpg.

As I live in Rep. of Ireland, I can't keep the IS-F for ever (road tax is 1803Euros per year!)... so already long term thinking of it's replacement which is no easy task....

All he said to me that a V8 was unlikely and a Twin Turbo 6 cylinder was the plan. oh and the price would be around £65K

Edit: Say what???? 1803 Euros for road tax!!!!!! Sh*t the bed!

Makes sense these days... nowt wrong with a twin turbo v6 if done right (see nissan GT-R; a cracking engine... personally loved the v6 engine and turbo whine). Plus toyota have previous experience of such things. Hmm interesting. Did they say timeframe? guessing 2015. I would guess it would be a high revving LFA type engine... a v6 the size of a v4 etc.

Yeah Irish road tax is insane. I opted for 2008 model purely because it comes under an older CC based tax system and no co2. Otherwise it would be 2400euros! It's not a performance/pertrol head country at all compared to uk sadly. Damo on here will attest to Irish car running costs ....

@Chris: I know! I'm from the UK myself and imported my ISF when I moved here. It gets worse however.... I had to pay 34% VRT import duty based on current open market price of car.

check out the road tax here http://vrt.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1593

Even the new IS300h would cost 180euros per year in road tax & unlike UK they have no free tier even for 0 co2 emission cars. The base price is near 40k euros for new IS300h and the new price of the ISF is over 120 euros. It's just another Irish government money grab sadly :(

Sadly the folks here just seem to roll over here on road tax charges and so on.. no riots or noise.. just silent acceptance. Most Irish cars sold here come with very low spec too as each tick box on the option list has extra duty costs!

Once I sell the ISF I will buy something boring like the 320d for Ireland and something sporty which I'll keep in the uk and bring over for a few months at a time but keep reg. and insured in uk.

Or wait a year and import a IS300h if there's decent prices on year old ones in UK...

So next time you think about complaining on UK car costs... spare a thought for us poor irish petrol heads..

There are no steps and It doesn't mimic any traditional or automated manual/dual clutch auto box i've ever driven.

Its always as described, a continuously variable transmission. Even in sport the paddles just electronically give you a fake engine noise to the approximate physical ratios, but in reality that's not what's happening mechanically, no steps etc, in fact I couldn't even hear the noise, maybe it was on mute! For me the paddles did nothing other than change a number on the dash board, and may have provoked a slight engine braking sensation. when you changed the number from 3 to 2 for instance. Completely rubbish system, and actually detracts from the car IMO. just use leave it in Auto and waft, because really that's what its really suited too.

this doesn't sound right. The other hybrids have the sequential shift mode which does give you a degree of control over the revs and the IS should be the same. It is only the F Sport which has the speakers yet I thought the other trim levels provide the same shift mode?? Certainly agree that for 95% it is a waste of time, just keep it in auto.

I could actually see the fun value in the paddles on today's test drive.

Sure, most of the time I left it in auto but, for example entering a motorway uphill, the paddles gave it some extra oomph (or at least the welcome impression of such).

I found the synthetic noise relatively unintrusive, a pleasant surprise really.

this doesn't sound right. The other hybrids have the sequential shift mode which does give you a degree of control over the revs and the IS should be the same. It is only the F Sport which has the speakers yet I thought the other trim levels provide the same shift mode?? Certainly agree that for 95% it is a waste of time, just keep it in auto.

I know I thought it was strange, but that's what it was like. Because the rep with me was so clueless, I could get to the bottom of what was supposed to be happening with the paddles. Anyway it reportedly all synthetic, as the engine still does its own thing.

I have driven the 300h & it is a lovely up-market Prius that I pray will give good economy as it is the replacement for the 220d .

Why they did not pair it with the latest 2.5 V6 is beyond me as it is now the second Lexus Hybrid not to be geared to performance which is a mistake as Toyota follow this strategy and their Auris is a looker too!

Tel

I have driven the 300h & it is a lovely up-market Prius that I pray will give good economy as it is the replacement for the 220d .

Why they did not pair it with the latest 2.5 V6 is beyond me as it is now the second Lexus Hybrid not to be geared to performance which is a mistake as Toyota follow this strategy and their Auris is a looker too!

Tel

Hybrid vehicles use an Atkinson cycle engine that is why they didn't use 2.5 V6 - also that V6 has poor economy. The whole of the drivetrain was a rework of the existing ES300h.

This IS300h is really just about economy/emissions rather than performance as it replaces the diesel option. Unfortunately Lexus Europe have decided that there isn't enough demand for the IS350, which if you want performance is the model to have.

Hi Mr W

I'm intrigued on how the "six step CVT box" actually works - I know it is supposed to mimic a traditional auto box but does this just happen when using paddle shift or does it also happen in normal cvt mode? - I agree with you re the interior although it does split the odd opinion here and there, someone on this forum mentioned that he is disappointed in the cheapness of the materials used :unsure:

it does introduce "gears", but only unless you are at WOT... if you are pressing it to the metal, then it will disregard gears and give you best possible acceleration, which is actually by keeping it at best power rpm.

It is actually not CVT but rather PSD, and combines 2 electric motors inside... in theory experience is similar to CVT but again not really because you have 2 motors inside you get speed a lot faster than average 4cly cvt. If you look at both, they are very different devices.

speakers work always if they are on, as they are adjustable, quite possibly someone turned them off in the model he tried... it is a switch left side under the steering wheel.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links