Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Is The Quietest Car? Lexus Gs300 Vs. Bmw 5 Series Vs. Mercedes E

Hi!

I'm currently exploring a few different vehicles with the aim to buy the quietest car in terms of road noise (the noise coming from the tyres on the road).

Based on your experience - and with a focus on road noise as well as overall noise experience inside the car - which would you say is the quietest vehicle? Lexus GS300 (around MY 2007) vs. Mercedes E Class Sedan vs. BMW 5 Series Sedan.

I would appreciate your thoughts! Yes, I will test drive them all, but I'd still be interested in the experience of others.

Cheers..

Lexus will have the smoothest engine between the 3 and thats not me being biased. the other factors will boil down to suspension setup of the cars the drag co efficient of each car, the type of tyre profile each car is running, the PSI each car is running and even the make of tyre each car is running. so there are many factors which can make a car a quiet cruiser and Lexus leans towards refinement and quitness compared to BMW who tunes thier cars for more driver feel. and Merc slots inbetween. so a test drive will give you an answer.

if you want something which beats them all get a GS450h.. driven at around 30mph or below will give you all the queitness you need because no engine will be running,

I can help you with this...!!!

I tested them all back to back in 2008, and the Lexus was marginally quieter than the BMW I thought. All 3 were on 18" wheels, the Merc was noisiest (previous generation).

Of course, it's the DELIBERATELY noisy road surfaces they use in UK!!

A big bugbear of mine.

They CAN make quiet surfaces to NO detriment either in safety OR cost.

There was a trial here in Bristol circa 10 years back. Was lovely!

But.....now? Nothing!

Apparently it was Govt policy, as a noisy ride 'made us drive slower'!!

You couldn't make it up?

I didn't!

And....has it worked?

No; just worn out our tyres faster and (I live 100 yds from A4) made the world much noisier!