Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

35Mm Or 40Mm

carlb

I am looking to purchase some springs next weekend for my is200. The rear seems to sit really high and has a big gap between top of tyre and arch. I have just put some nice new alloys on so want the car to look lower to suit them. I am unsure which to get as have seen both 35 and 40mm springs. Apart from 5mm height - if thats actually how they work ? Would both front and rear drop equally ( i guess so) as the front has no way near as much gap and doesnt look as bad and wouldnt want any rubbing.

Oh yes wheels are still 17's with 215/45's on

0d28db91a141fc497d623245a2bf3c27.jpg

e8ddbecb9631fb1c86cd2e798fb20304.jpg

dd6468e437e52c88fc7270f2999e1aae.jpg

e8ddbecb9631fb1c86cd2e798fb20304.jpg

Thanks

hi carlb -

I would go with 40mm drop if your going to keep the rim size the same with tyres.

you will have a approx fingers gap between tyre and arch.

the front will slightly dip in more as there is more weight at the front of car.

also depends on what make of springs your going for as some are softer than others.

but I would say 40mm drop!

that's my take on it, that's my advise - its your call pal.

• Like 1

Because of the big gap on the rear was thinking 40 already was just worried if it dropped the front the same it might cause rubbing on the arch but if not then will order up some 40mm. The tyre wont be up in the arch on the rear though i hope as i dont want it "slammed" i just want it so as you can still see the whole tyre its just close to the arch curve.

Cheers

it wont be slammed with 40mm springs. you will have tolerance and bumps free headache.

it will look just right. there will be a small gap between arch and tyre.

I have done many cars with 40mm drops inc IS200's so that's how I know.

its the best all round drop unlike mine which is a show drop lol ( coilovers )

on a side note its worth checking your shocks, if there weak then that side will go down a bit more.

when job complete it might look like 35mm drop. it will eventually sit in to the correct height.

all the best -

Thats great will go with 40 then. My mate is a mechanic for lexus so will get him to do it and check shocks out for me. May even just buy new standard shocks if theyre cheap enough and swap them at the same time

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just a second thought on this have gone with 40mm drop but whilst i have the garage fit the springs next week is it worth them replacing anything else at the same time rubbers/polyurethane bits etc as when searching for the lowering springs other bits did pop up?

I am right in thinking this is something i cant really do myself on my drive so am best paying a garage to do it yes ?

Thanks

changing the springs is easy on the IS200's but it would be for me as I was a mechanic, now retired.

apart from checking the condition on the shocks, other parts shouldn't be much in the way.

if there is anything wearing/worn the mechanic most likely will pick it up.

once lowered get the geometry done -

• 3 weeks later...

Got the is200 back from garage this evening and am very happy now as i fitted the tein springs (thanks Moley) along with all new pads. I was worried that the only 23mm rear drop wouldnt look any different as the rear was ridiculously high originaly but it turned out nice

Before

After

f8095f28a3324a2971ea21bff8ae4fd3.jpg

f8eeb063ce4673d66a8f5b6d6f86154f.jpg

Its not super low but hopefully handling will be a little better and it looks much better at the rear.

• Like 1

HoodRich how do the 225 tyres work and did you need spacers or any arch work? Mine is lowered 35mm on Eibachs but would like to go to 225s next time.

As for 35mm or 40mm, that's approx 1/5th of an inch, so does it really matter?

• 2 years later...

Got the is200 back from garage this evening and am very happy now as i fitted the tein springs (thanks Moley) along with all new pads. I was worried that the only 23mm rear drop wouldnt look any different as the rear was ridiculously high originaly but it turned out nice

Before

After

f8095f28a3324a2971ea21bff8ae4fd3.jpg

f8eeb063ce4673d66a8f5b6d6f86154f.jpg

Its not super low but hopefully handling will be a little better and it looks much better at the rear.

good before and after pics

I know this is an old post but thought I would add to it for anyone looking to lower their IS200.

My last Lexus I lowered 35mm but to be honest didn't really make much difference.

My current IS200 however, amongst lots of other modifications, I have lowered 50mm all round!! The rear arches had to be rolled to accommodate the 235/40 R18 wheels and tyres and with 215/40 R18 wheels and tyres on the front, there is no rubbing at all. Speed bumps are manageable and gives a good firm ride!

When I finally get mine, I wanted to drop it by 50mm but a few members have stated increased damper damage and possibly hitting the bump stops dropping this low on springs , have you experienced this? What make are the springs your using and have you posted any pics on here?

Cheers

No not experienced hitting the bump stops or damage to the shocks but it is quite a firm ride! I would put some pictures on here for you but it won't let me at the moment, not sure why! Will keep trying.

I went to Eibach's when I first bought mine with a 35mm drop, but the back end was still sticking up in the air and I am not a fan of the nose down stance. I had that for 4 years with no issues on shocks or bump stops, but mine is fairly low mileage. I now have Meister R coilovers which are softer that the BC's and the Japanese ones and no idea how much it is lowered but it looks and feels great to me. Ok I also have Eibach roll bars and a full set of superpro bushes and a front strut brace but I love the way it feels and drives now, it inspires so much confidence and quickens up the steering to make it more direct.

I would imagine if you lowered it 50mm on standard shocks and did nothing else the standard shocks would start to struggle especially if the car has done a few miles. you could buy a new set of shocks to stiffen it up but then you might just as well buy coilovers for a similar price and can set the height and ride how you like it, a far better solution.

this is how i would like my car to sit when i eventually get it :) if not a little lower, but on lowering springs this is probably the safe limit.

taken from tezza world,

40mm tein lowering springs and standard shocks

tezza017.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links