Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I would hope so. I used to leave a honda civic in a field for 3 months at a time when I lived in Holland. That always amazed me how it always started first turn of the key. (poor car I had it 3 years & it never got looked at).

As well it should, earlier this year, I left my LS400 outside in a Glasgow side-street for three weeks, (January) -started first time, I'd have been fairly peeved if it hadn't! -the weather had been sub-zero most of the time also.

I notice a bit of smoke when I start mine up after 2-3 weeks dozing in the garage. I try to start it every week and for go a short run, but don't always get round to it.

As well it should, earlier this year, I left my LS400 outside in a Glasgow side-street for three weeks, (January) -started first time, I'd have been fairly peeved if it hadn't! -the weather had been sub-zero most of the time also.

Thats an absolute miracle, not that it started 1st time after being left in a Glasgow side street for 3 weeks but that it was still there. You havent said if all the wheels were still there. To all Scottish personages I am only joking. Mike.

Swop wanted.

4 Lexus LS400 in excellent condition with very good nearly new tyres for 4 piles of house bricks :lol:

Mine does smoke for a few seconds when it's been stood for a week or so. White smoke so looks like the PS fluid problem with the leaking valve.One day I'll get around to fitting the replacement I've had for 3 years.

Laid myself wide open for that one-didn't I...?!

As your aware Mike, my mirror is broken on the LS-it was vandalized during that three weeks the car was stationary,

( ie:-bleedin' vulnerable) -I consider that the car got off lightly, considering the geographic location-it is a somewhat rough area......

Laid myself wide open for that one-didn't I...?!

As your aware Mike, my mirror is broken on the LS-it was vandalized during that three weeks the car was stationary,

( ie:-bleedin' vulnerable) -I consider that the car got off lightly, considering the geographic location-it is a somewhat rough area......

I am pleased you told me that I thought they may have lost their touch up there in Bonnie Scotland.

There is an offside one in gold on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS400-drivers-mirror-breaking-Mk4-/261228319088?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd26bd170 He may well a nearside.

Mike

Swop wanted.

4 Lexus LS400 in excellent condition with very good nearly new tyres for 4 piles of house bricks :lol:

Mine does smoke for a few seconds when it's been stood for a week or so. White smoke so looks like the PS fluid problem with the leaking valve.One day I'll get around to fitting the replacement I've had for 3 years.

Probably condensation burning off Steve

Swop wanted.

My car is left idle for the week and started at the weekends. On first start up, there is a fine haze of blue smoke visible. I think it's oil smoke but I don't know where it could be coming from. Any pointers?

Thanks for the Mirror-Ad Mike, but I omitted to mention in my last post, its the other side mirror I need.

Yes I knew which mirror you were after but I thought it might be worth contacting him to see if he had the other one but had not yet listed it. Mike

Swop wanted.

My car is left idle for the week and started at the weekends. On first start up, there is a fine haze of blue smoke visible. I think it's oil smoke but I don't know where it could be coming from. Any pointers?

The Blue smoke that occurs on startup from cold after standing for a period of time is probably oil that drips down the valve stems though worn seals and collects on the top of the piston, it starts occuring on older post 150k engines .It is nothing to worry about and makes little difference to oil consumption or the cats.

Swop wanted.

The Blue smoke that occurs on startup from cold after standing for a period of time is probably oil that drips down the valve stems though worn seals and collects on the top of the piston, it starts occuring on older post 150k engines .It is nothing to worry about and makes little difference to oil consumption or the cats.

Worn valve seals on an 118000 mile Lexus? That's shocking. There must be hundreds of cheaper cars with many more miles on the clock (including my old Mazda 626) that don't suffer with worn valve seals. I am very slowly losing my faith in Lexus engineering.

Swop wanted.

Worn valve seals on an 118000 mile Lexus? That's shocking. There must be hundreds of cheaper cars with many more miles on the clock (including my old Mazda 626) that don't suffer with worn valve seals. I am very slowly losing my faith in Lexus engineering.

Sorry, I may be getting valve seals and valve seats mixed up. Did you mean valve stem seals?

Are you sure you are getting blue smoke on start up and not confusing it with condensation type steam that comes out of most cars exaust especialy on cold mornings, Mike

Are you sure you are getting blue smoke on start up and not confusing it with condensation type steam that comes out of most cars exaust especialy on cold mornings, Mike

No, it's definitely got a blue tint. I don't tend to get much steam on start up. I know it may not be as serious as I mistakenly thought but it's still a bit of a blow to have worn valve seals. But, I haven't had my LS400 long so there is still plenty of time for it to prove itself.

It is reasonable to see some exhaust from a cold start this is condensation of some of the water in the exhaust (water is one of the combustion products) on a cold exhaust pipe. It will stop when the car warms up. On very very cold winter days you can often the steam form just after the end of the pipe. I think other people have mentioned this.

You should never see blue smoke from a LS on startup (in my humble opinion) and I have never on mine in 206K miles - nor has it ever burnt a drop of oil.

Steve mentioned white smoke - is it smoke or steam while warming up the car?

Did somebody mention they start take their car for a short run every now and again - this is not a great idea short runs are one of the biggest car killers.

I am amazed that 150K older model Lexus start to smoke - my wife's Avensis has done more miles and is sweet as a nut (I am for it now) and does not burn oil or blow smoke on starting.

Cheers Bren

Thanks for the Mirror-Ad Mike, but I omitted to mention in my last post, its the other side mirror I need.

Bluesbreaker, I am visiting the scrap Mk 3 LS400 tomorrow. Will a Mk3 mirror fit your Mk4? If so, do you want me to get the nearside one for you. It is black, also is it much of a job to remove?