Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust Manifold Rust

Hrky

Hey Lexus owners

I just bought new car on April 2013 and as soon as i opened my hood i noticed that there is rust on a exhaust manifold and on the screws that are holding it, I´m just wondering did anyone have same problems or did you guys notice something like this on your IS220D engine.

I´m also attaching photos so you could see

Thank you all

POZZ

post-47334-0-18006400-1370954636_thumb.j

Although you bought it in April 2013, it must have been manufactured a little while back. Mine is a 7 year old IS 220d SEL and it is corroded to the same extent now.

• 9 months later...

I've just noticed this rust on the same part on my four year old IS 220D as well. Would I therefore be right in assuming that this is common and nothing to worry about? or should I be worried? :unsure:

As they explained to me in service station, it is the common for exhaus manifold because it generates high temperature and it is not possible for any paint to stick.

I have annual service coming in 1 mounth and I will ask them again, to see if it is true what they said before...

Mines does not look anything like that, there's just a miniscule amount present but it is very common on almost all cars out there, petrol or diesel engined.

The guy I bought my car from originally was meticulous when it came to washing, polishing and sprucing so that's probably why.

You can wire brush most of it off and give it a bit of WD just to base coat it but once it gets hot the WD will evaporate.

To keep them as rust free as possible would mean regular maintenance.

Thank you Kevin, the impression I'm getting is that it is normal for them to rust, unless I suppose like you say you regularly maintain them.

Saw a used one for sale on eBay which was also rusted and googling 'exhaust manifold rust' also returns lots of posts/info saying that it is very common due to the material used and the high temperatures the manifold reaches for them to rust on all makes of cars.