Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Brake

Savo

Hi I am stuck with trying to fix the parking brake on my 98 GS300. The park brake pedal falls most of the way down to the floor & the car needs rocked back & forth to release the brakes after. Yesterday I had the car up on stands & replaced the rear shoes & adjusted them correctly (I think). The brake cable is still really loose even after being adjusted as much as possible at the pedal. I removed the centre console and there is no way from above of adjusting the cable where the two separate cables join. I removed the heat shield from the exhaust and can see a pivot in the transmission tunnel where the 3 cables meet but can't see any adjustment. I spent about 12 hours on this yesterday and am totally stuck. I had my rear disks replaced about 5 years ago and the mechanic said something about metal brackets rusting off in the rear hubs but I can't find any reference to them or how to go about replacing them. Please help!!

Thanks

Andrew

Well I think I need a new backing plate on both sides, there is supposed to be a small bracket at the bottom which has broken off. I spoke to my local dealer & they are £220 + VAT EACH. Has anyone any idea how else this can be fixed or where else I can try for the parts?

Thanks

There's an adjuster under the dash in the foot well up near the pedal pivot. I've just had my parking brake done and the cable was siezed and casting broken. See my recent posting with pics, 'Strange Noise' on 5th June.

Thanks, I just had a read of your post and will go back out and have another look at the car but I think my problem is different. Here is a pic of the bracket that is missing / rusted off.

broken+brakes1.png£

I'm at a loss as to what to do next, nearly £500 for the parts and then fitting :eerrrmm: Does anyone know what the missing bracket does? I'd hate to replace the backing plate just to find out all I needed was a new cable.

I dont know the reason why its there. Can you just fabricate a new bracket and tack weld or bolt it on. Looks a simple job for a metal worker/fabricator/welder/trusty local garage.

OK thanks again, I went out and had another look. The cable is loose from the drum but was locked really tight going through the drum & looks like the pictures of yours. I have put grease in it to free it up but maybe new cables is the way to go. I will investigate further when im back from picking the kids up from school.

With the parking brake off, release the cable inside the drum and move the cable in and out of its sleeve to make sure its not siezed.

Thanks Jim, the brakes are fixed! I had pulled the cable behind the drum & it felt loose but it was stuck going through into the drum as you thought. Its moving freely now & is well greased.

Thanks again for your help!

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links