Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test Drive In New Is

Earlier this week I had the opportunity to drive around the Milbrook alpine hill route and banked high speed bowl in the IS300h (both F Sport and standard) and the new IS250. Comparing it with the IS250SEI auto I’ve had for 4 years I’m really impressed by all the improvements in the new model. When funds permit, hopefully next year, I certainly intend buying an IS300h. There’s already loads of information about the new IS on the internet e.g. www.lexus.co.uk http://media.toyota.co.uk/product_info/2013-is/ http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/explore/ and http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/is/is-300h/index.tmex so, rather than repeat those details, I’ll just offer a few personal opinions. NB The cars were left hand drive, non-UK spec and I was told they were pre-production samples in which some items of trim were not quite up to final standard.

Before driving it I was concerned the new IS would be more like the CT200h than the GS450h. In fact I think it’s better than both. For example, the brakes are more progressive and the ride is much better than the CT200h whereas cornering in the new IS is more agile and not so much like the limo style of the GS450h. However, as I’ve only had a brief test drive in a GS450h, this might not be a fair comparison especially as the GS is a bigger car than I need or like.

I think I’ll choose an IS300h Premier with the 17” wheel option. The ride in the F Sport version is a little too firm for me but I didn’t try the AVS which I believe will only be an F Sport option. I wonder if, by not offering some form of adjustable suspension on the Premier IS like on the Premier GS, Lexus are missing an opportunity to provide an even more compliant and softer ride alternative .

I don’t understand why the motoring press are giving the CVT gearbox such poor reviews. Surely the holy grail of automatic gearbox design is to achieve smooth, imperceptible changes and to provide the optimum gear ratio for any given acceleration and load requirement. I think the IS300h largely achieves this. Maybe motoring journalists think the jerk caused by an automatic gearbox kicking down a gear is a necessary indication of fast acceleration!

In normal driving conditions the IS300h is quiet and smooth especially compared with the similarly priced four cylinder diesel engined alternatives. However, the active sound control system seems a missed opportunity; it would be much more fun if you could choose sound tracks from cars like the Lexus LFA

The new Sonic Titanium (known as Atomic Silver in the US) colour looks great and better in the metal than in most of the pictures I’ve seen. The interior quality, style and equipment levels are substantially better than those austere and bland interior designs found in the usual suspects in this market segment.

I think many Lexus owners will find the new IS to be a fantastic car and it should attract lots of others to the brand.

PS I’m just a satisfied owner of a Lexus and I have no other connection with Lexus nor have I received any payment or reward for posting these comments.

Best regards

Roger

Hi Roger

Thanks for your write up - I've got a 300h F Sport on order and without having a test drive the reviews regarding the "whining" gearbox have me petrified.

I'm well past the boy racer stage and refinement and first class dealer back up are my main requirements - after reading your report I feel quite a bit better!

• Like 1

Hi Roger

Thanks for your write up - I've got a 300h F Sport on order and without having a test drive the reviews regarding the "whining" gearbox have me petrified.

I'm well past the boy racer stage and refinement and first class dealer back up are my main requirements - after reading your report I feel quite a bit better!

I'm not unlike you in my outlook.

I've had my IS short of four years and at some stage will probably get another. I've read some reviews of the new model and the conclusions of the motoring press are not unlike a few years ago. When the time to change approaches I'll go through the same process (probably) of test driving the competition, the result surprised me last time as the Lexus impressed me the most, by a mile.The difference next time will be my experience as an owner, whilst I've had mine my neighbour has had a Merc 220 which he changed after eighteen months due to unreliability, he replaced it with a Jag XF which is giving problems. A friend has just bought a Range Rover which was towed away last week on a low loader as it kept breaking down, on the other hand I've friends with Audi, VW and Vauxhall and they've all been trouble free.

One of the attractions of a Lexus was it's reputation for reliability and I haven't been disappointed, three visits to the dealer in three years for a service.

Fingers crossed.

Wicksy: Was it the AutoExpress review where you read the “whining CVT gearbox” comment? If so, the comments questioning the fairness of the review: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/is might also help to set your mind at rest.

I’m also well past the boy racer stage and, therefore, maybe our requirements for a car have more in common than those of a young motoring
journalist. I’m now tending to place more trust in the opinions of owners and potential owners than motoring journalists. In the coming months I’ll be very
interested to hear how you and other early owners get on and I’d be very surprised if many are disappointed with the IS300h. My priorities are reliability,
quietness, comfort, quality, etc. Like Exiled in four years and 30000 miles I’ve had no trouble at all with my Lexus IS250SEI whereas my brother’s Mercedes
C250D has already needed lots of work and replacement parts under warranty.

• Like 1

Wicksy: Was it the AutoExpress review where you read the “whining CVT gearbox” comment? If so, the comments questioning the fairness of the review: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/is might also help to set your mind at rest.

I’m also well past the boy racer stage and, therefore, maybe our requirements for a car have more in common than those of a young motoring

journalist. I’m now tending to place more trust in the opinions of owners and potential owners than motoring journalists. In the coming months I’ll be very

interested to hear how you and other early owners get on and I’d be very surprised if many are disappointed with the IS300h. My priorities are reliability,

quietness, comfort, quality, etc. Like Exiled in four years and 30000 miles I’ve had no trouble at all with my Lexus IS250SEI whereas my brother’s Mercedes

C250D has already needed lots of work and replacement parts under warranty.

. . . I've looked at the replies to the review and they really do make the test out to be nothing but a con - it is amazing how the British Motoring Press love a good German Diesel - I agree with most of the posters that Hybrid power is without doubt the future. Thanks again for the info.

we have an IS series III section on our US LOC site:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/forum/161-new-2014-lexus-is/

not much content there yet but expect to see that pick up.

All the US focused sites will have limited discussion around the IS300h because Lexus are not selling it in that territory - they are the lucky ones that get the IS350.

I have driven the IS300h, a non F-sport and with highest trim level. Same configuration & body color as the one in AutoExpress's review. I don't understand why some people have to talk down that review, as I find they are pretty much spot on, on the good & bad point of the car. I have a 250 F-sport, great car. But a bit soft. The 300h is even softer than the 250. I drove the 300h in sport almost under entire test drive. It feel like my 250 in ECT normal. It looks sporty but doesn't drive particular sporty due to the CVT transmission. It's a shames, because the handling is very good. It just doesn't have the power train to match it. I think Lexus should have programmed the transmission differently. Also that synthetic sound, is no where near as good as the F-sport intake in my car. It feels cheap to have a sound generator, maybe it is because I have had a cheap sound generator gadget which you can put in the cigarette lighter and you get the sound through the stereo. I got a american v8 one and it sounds absolutely embarrassing when its on. :lol:

In one of his posts to another thread I think UpSideDown was right when he said:

"Peronally I think Lexus should not offer F-sport package on 300h. Tehy should focus more on luxury and comfort. The main goal of 300h is the fuel economy not spoty driving."

In so much of their marketing blurb Lexus insist on emphasising sporting aspirations rather than playing to their real strengths of quality, luxury, comfort, level of equipment, reliability and dealer service, etc. In doing so, the Lexus marketing guys do themselves no favours and open themselves up for the kind of negative comments contained in the AutoExpress review. The more positive comments in reviews then tend to get lost. For example, AutoExpress said "you can waft around town smoothly and quietly", "refinement at motorway speeds is excellent", "this is still very much a Lexus: comfy and quiet" and "quality is impeccable and handling has been improved".

Also like UpSideDown, my impression was that the IS300h (non F Sport) suspension setup is a little softer than my current IS250SEI. In this I think AutoExpress are wrong in their comment that the "standard suspension is 20 per cent stiffer than before". I believe the press pack (see link in my first post in this thread) says the roll bars are 20% stiffer and that this allowed them to soften the spring rates. I guess the new GS style multi-link rear suspension might also help improve cornering and road holding while at the same time being able to provide a more compliant ride on rough roads.

The full UK brochure for the 2013 IS is now available at http://www.digi-flips.com/digiflips/lx/l/a8484884/digi-flipbook.html The first pages are very similar to the preliminary brochure that was released a few weeks ago. On page 16 it states "the electric motor propels the IS300h up to around 40mph". I'm fairly sure this is a typo as 40kph is approx. 25mph which is the figure quoted for the GS450h and the CT200.

Lexus is quite right to have the 300h in F sport trim as well but maybe mated it to the 6 speed auto from the IS250's rather than using CVT and maybe use the CVT in non F sport hybrid IS300h's. i recon the 300h F sport is there to cater for buyers who want that sporty driving but at the same time don't want to be visiting the petrol stations often and BMW 330d, Audi A4 3.0TDI and Merc C350 CDI all have sport setups and can return over 40mpg so Lexus wanted an IS to cater for this market as well hence introducing the F Sport in 300h's as well. I think hybrids are the future for petrol powered cars and we are now seeing seriously powerful hybrid cars I mean the GS450h accelerates in around 5.5 secs to 60mph even with a CVT box. most high performance cars like Porsche Spyder and Panamera now offer hybrids, and there are rumours the next Honda NSX supercar will also be a hybrid same as the next Toyota Supra. so its now looking like we can now have our cake and eat it by having some reasonable performance and not suffer too much mpg wise. given the option to pick between a 300h F sport and an IS250 F sport will be a difficult decision cus I would like the silence, smoothness and lower running costs that a hybrid and CVT will bring but will also like the sounds of a V6 all NA unaided petrol engine with the f1 style auto box to feel more involved when driving. the 300h certainly looks nice and with 220bhp and improved handling, that's enough power most will need anyway. I would consider an F-Sport 300h if I have the budget and wont listen to half of what these press guys say in their articles.

Lexus is quite right to have the 300h in F sport trim as well but maybe mated it to the 6 speed auto from the IS250's rather than using CVT and maybe use the CVT in non F sport hybrid IS300h's. i recon the 300h F sport is there to cater for buyers who want that sporty driving but at the same time don't want to be visiting the petrol stations often and BMW 330d, Audi A4 3.0TDI and Merc C350 CDI all have sport setups and can return over 40mpg so Lexus wanted an IS to cater for this market as well hence introducing the F Sport in 300h's as well. I think hybrids are the future for petrol powered cars and we are now seeing seriously powerful hybrid cars I mean the GS450h accelerates in around 5.5 secs to 60mph even with a CVT box. most high performance cars like Porsche Spyder and Panamera now offer hybrids, and there are rumours the next Honda NSX supercar will also be a hybrid same as the next Toyota Supra. so its now looking like we can now have our cake and eat it by having some reasonable performance and not suffer too much mpg wise. given the option to pick between a 300h F sport and an IS250 F sport will be a difficult decision cus I would like the silence, smoothness and lower running costs that a hybrid and CVT will bring but will also like the sounds of a V6 all NA unaided petrol engine with the f1 style auto box to feel more involved when driving. the 300h certainly looks nice and with 220bhp and improved handling, that's enough power most will need anyway. I would consider an F-Sport 300h if I have the budget and wont listen to half of what these press guys say in their articles.

I think its fair to say the 300h f sport is all show and no go for sure. Not unknown of in the car industry. Look at Ford, theyve been at it for ages. Was interesting that Roger said he would also choose 300h 4 cyl with CVT over 250 after test driving both and also coming from someone who owns 2nd gen IS250. So maybe not as bad as it looks on paper. Shame USA cant get 300h just for the fact we could get a decent review of it

I know Petay..the more I look at those brochures the more I want one. I personally don't thik 300h is all show and no go. the thing makes 220bhp from a 4 cylinder. that's same power as a 3litre V6 ST Mondeo and I bet my money it would even out handle it even with a hybrid badge. yes the hybrid system and CVT box does not give one the performance drive appeal (kick down) you get with a sport tiptronic box or ability to chose your own gear ratios in spirited driving but I recon the hybrid motor + CVT does a good job as seen in the bigger 450h's .. the 300h's hybrid motor alone generates 300NM of torque mainly from standstill and that's not with the engines own torque combined. and can return 65mpg on combined driving. am a petrol head and cant believe am looking at mpg but am starting to like the hybrid. maybe will book my self a test drive just for the experience and if I end up liking how it drives might aim for one in a couple of years time. maybe in F-Sport trim.

• Like 1

No deffo isnt slow by any means and i guess i shouldnt go by the 0-60 being a hybrid with instant torque delivery. If i went for one wouldnt do F sport souly because of the ride like roger said, but thats just me, same reason didnt want a sport first gen IS transmission put aside. maybe if it had dynamic suspension option ticked, but still dont like the pretentious image not being a 350. I really love the interior. looks cosy :)

It seems the hybrid + CVT gearbox powertrain divides opinion and is generally disliked by motoring journalists. I’d strongly urge anyone interested to have a test drive to see if the IS300h suits their particular likes and dislikes. I’d be really interested to hear how others feel, especially owners of a 1st or 2nd gen IS. I’m 95% sure the IS300h is the next car for me; hopefully next year if finances allow. However, I’ll want to make sure with a longer test drive on normal and familiar roads to get a better comparison with my current IS250.

Over the years I’ve been attracted by cars with engines and gearboxes that are quieter, smoother, more refined, etc. At the same time I like a reasonable amount of acceleration. The 8.4 seconds 0 to 62 mph time quoted for the IS300h is almost the same as my IS250 and, although the torque/acceleration curve feels different, I thought the amount of acceleration off the line and at overtaking speeds was fine.

I’ve also driven 4 cylinder diesels from BMW and Mercedes and, although their performance is good (assuming you’ve got the right gear) even after all the recent improvements made to diesels I still think the noise, vibration and harshness doesn’t fit with an executive car image. If economy was my prime concern, I might consider a diesel whereas if performance was my key criteria then a large capacity or a turbo/supercharged petrol engine would be the thing either with a manual gearbox or a fast acting automatic. Horses for courses but for me the IS300h with it’s hybrid + CVT powertrain, interior quality, reliability of the brand and the excellent dealers seems to tick all the boxes and I don’t know of any alternative that comes close.

yeh a dynamic suspension would have been ideal I think the IS350's offer that option not sure about the 250's and the 300h though. 0-60 times are not relevant these days infact I can actually count how many time I have done a 0-60 in my IS300 ever since I have owned it and tbh its not a lot. In gear accelerations is the most important these days and I recon the 300h wont lag behind with its 300NM instant torque delivery from those batteries alone. As Roger confirmed, I am also not sold on Diesels yet due to their unreliability and noise harshness. regardless of what a 330d BMW or 3.0 tdi Audi diesel owner says about how quiet their engines are when warm, their engine will never be as quiet and refined as an IS250 petrol period. I also like a car with reasonable acceleration not super car performance but something which wont lag behind when time calls for it..

I think hybrids are the new turbo/superchargers I recon they will replace these units in a couple of years time ounce manufactures are able to harness more power from them in that it helps make more power from a small displacement engine without any lag and also gives one diesel mpg figures. will def test drive one just to experience it.

http://www.clublexus.com/articles/news/turbo-lexus-for-the-future-yes.php

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-lexus-launching-turbo-four-engine-by-2015-381083.html#axzz2XX59lrfI

If true, this could suggest the V6 engine in the new IS250 will just be a stop gap measure. The V6 is now quiet an old engine design and a more efficient 4 cylinder turbo engine would seem to make sense especially for the European market which is more sensitive to fuel consumption and emissions than the USA or Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just received an invitation to "Meet the New Lexus IS" from my local Lexus Centre. I'm looking forward to checking it out again on 19th July. Does anyone who has had a test drive have any information or thoughts they'd like to share?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links