Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To Wax Oil Or Not ?

Hello Chris, I am in the same boat - or a very similar boat, anyway. My 2003 rx300 has a horrible underneath, all flaky. A small portion of it has started to creep through to the boot floor, and the towbar which was already fitted isn't too clever either. The last keeper was in the north east and used to go fishing a lot, perhaps this has something to do with it, although I don't know what. When I have the pennies I will definitely use the services of one of the professional rust outfits. There is one in spalding who used dinatrol, but that is a long way from Manchester. I am going to have a look at the one in knutsford, I wasn't aware of them.

That sounds not so good, our '03 is remarkabley free from corrosion body wise, in fact not seen any actual rust on the bodywork as yet, but its the bits underneath like brackets, straps and peripheral bits that get terribly corroded.

Luckily its mostly just aesthetic but still not good as an overall impression.

I reckon a good Waxoyl'ing will do the underside no harm at all......

Yes, I have recently crawled under my 400h and to my horror there was a lot of rust on the rear subframe and suspension arms etc, so I dug out my tin of Waxoyl and now it looks much better!

Unfortunatley I have been persuaded to buy a Tesla Model S which is due late November so I may have to part with my beloved 400h unless I can persuade my wife to let me have 2 cars along with her Citroen in the drive or garage.

So it looks as if I won't need the set of 3 new winter tyres (the 4th got a puncture) and 5 alloys that I bought for it when the forecast snow last year.

Another eBay job I guess!

BTW, can I suggest you guys drop down the spare wheel and check it for corrosion.

Mine was in a very bad state with the chrome peeling off...

Unfortunatley I have been persuaded to buy a Tesla Model S which is due late November so I may have to part with my beloved 400h unless I can persuade my wife to let me have 2 cars along with her Citroen in the drive or garage.

Nothing unfortunate about that, a great car.

That's a new one on me Gents what's an engineer kit and the benefits.

Hope you are able to keep the 400H.

The Tesla is a very interesting car from what I hear also so best of luck with that.

Chris

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

4 Kw

It was intially very high at around 70 or 80 mpg when I wa driving no faster that 35 to 40 mph

But the novelty has worn off now as I am very busy and need to dash around faster so I get around 35 to 40 mpg..

driving around at 50 to 60 mph

But I see the main advantage that t shoulkd improve the cars traction Battery life since it doesn't do so many charge discharge cycles and stays mosnearly fully charged alot more of heh time......

The car is nearly 8 years old and drives like new...

Billygarret's car sounds like mine - perfect bodywork but the underneath quite alarming. The mechanic at my local garage said it was nothing to worry about.

Yep nothing to worry about!

Just let it rust away and he will sell you another one!!!!

Get the Waxoyl out and giveit a good dose of it!!!!!

The Tesla is a very interesting car from what I hear also so best of luck with that.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

http://enginer.us/products/conversion_kit.php

Now these are VERY interesting, brings the 450h back into my scope......more interested in PHEV than merely Hybrid, just one point which worries me somewhat........I cannot find anywhere on the site an example of prices! Always a bad sign :eerrrmm:

Anyone know roughly the initial cost?

@ billygarrett,

Tesla S ? I am surprised you didn't plump for the X model as you have the RX........did you look at both or were you just mesmorised by the model S regardless.......its a beauty and so very practical, we looked at the i8 recently at launch and it is an amazing car, but a pure sports car........goes well though :driving:

4 Kw

It was intially very high at around 70 or 80 mpg when I wa driving no faster that 35 to 40 mph

But the novelty has worn off now as I am very busy and need to dash around faster so I get around 35 to 40 mpg..

driving around at 50 to 60 mph

But I see the main advantage that t shoulkd improve the cars traction battery life since it doesn't do so many charge discharge cycles and stays mosnearly fully charged alot more of heh time......

The car is nearly 8 years old and drives like new...

Not such good figures as I would have hoped for but of course we do not know your driving pattern, I assume from the lower results you do more long runs than short around town/local environ trips?

I see the PHEV solution more for cars which will do mostly 30-40 miles runs in a day or less (which surprisingly is the majority of cars on the road), where EV mode can be used almost exclusively.

Chris

Chris

http://www.enginer.us/products/conversion_kit.php

I had to do some mods as it is designed for the Prius.

@ billygarrett,

Tesla S ? I am surprised you didn't plump for the X model as you have the RX........did you look at both or were you just mesmorised by the model S regardless.......its a beauty and so very practical, we looked at the i8 recently at launch and it is an amazing car, but a pure sports car........goes well though :driving:

My initial plan was to go for the model X, but my wife doesn't like the Falcon wing doors and the range is less altgough the accelleration is better at 4.2 0 to 60 mph

BUT it won't be out till some time next year and there are no pricces and specs yet.

I am told there would be a good trade in value if I want to change then...

I think £71 k is enough to spend!!!!

The X is a crossover SUV so it is higher like the 400h, but the S has air suspenion that can go quite high. But I wonder if it is high enough...I hope so!

But the falcon doors are only good for rear passengers, so I don't see the point for me...the driver!!!

Now these are VERY interesting, brings the 450h back into my scope......more interested in PHEV than merely Hybrid, just one point which worries me somewhat........I cannot find anywhere on the site an example of prices! Always a bad sign :eerrrmm:

Anyone know roughly the initial cost?

I think it was arond $2000 but that was 5 or 6 years ago....

If any of you guys decide to order, please tell jack Chen at Enginer that Billy Garrett in the UK told you about it.

He promised me $100 for any successful referrals!!!!!!!

But that was 4 or 5 years ago, so I bet he has forgotten!!!!