Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keep It Or Switch To A 300?

Spotted a 300 for sale locally (52 plate, 83k, with TTE front and rear and 18's) and I'm sorely tempted to switch from my 200 to it, mainly cos as much as I like the 6sp manual in my 200 Sport, I do really fancy an auto (and don't want the 4sp auto in the 200SE)

Price wise, it's pretty much the same as I paid for my 200 (£2.5k) for the same year/reg and roughly the same mileage (mine now has 90k on it, bought it at 87ish, roughly 11 months ago)

The only things that put me off are little things - it's got a stupid aftermarket touchscreen head unit (I'd much prefer the standard one, using my Grom), and it looks like it's got screens in the head rests (not a major issue, but I'd prefer to swap them with regular head rests). With the IS having an odd sound system, it means I don't know to what extent it's been modified/adapted. In a perfect world, it simply has the bypass cable or whatever to hook into the standard amp - worst case the wiring has been cut and messed around with. Naturally, I'd prefer it if it's just had plug and play harness' so I can swap it out with the stock HU in my 200 and vice versa.

Tax is a little annoying, as I just taxed mine for a year last year (£250!) and the 300 tax expires end of July. MOT wise, mine expires next month, 300 in Sept, so nothing in it really.

I suppose it really comes down to the cars condition - if it's not as good as mine, in terms of being looked after, handling/how it feels, then it's not worth it. Yes the few extra ponies from the 300 would be a bonus, but not my priority for changing the car. Really it's down to the gearbox - I should have bought an auto from the start (this week especially I've been laid up with trapped tendons in my left ankle, which means I can barely walk and can't drive as clutch changing hurts like hell!)

No idea of the insurance difference, nor the MPG difference (surely it can't be WORSE than the 200's already pathetic MPG?!)

Will have to ponder it a little bit I suppose....

Spotted a 300 for sale locally (52 plate, 83k, with TTE front and rear and 18's) and I'm sorely tempted to switch from my 200 to it, mainly cos as much as I like the 6sp manual in my 200 Sport, I do really fancy an auto (and don't want the 4sp auto in the 200SE)

Price wise, it's pretty much the same as I paid for my 200 (£2.5k) for the same year/reg and roughly the same mileage (mine now has 90k on it, bought it at 87ish, roughly 11 months ago)

The only things that put me off are little things - it's got a stupid aftermarket touchscreen head unit (I'd much prefer the standard one, using my Grom), and it looks like it's got screens in the head rests (not a major issue, but I'd prefer to swap them with regular head rests). With the IS having an odd sound system, it means I don't know to what extent it's been modified/adapted. In a perfect world, it simply has the bypass cable or whatever to hook into the standard amp - worst case the wiring has been cut and messed around with. Naturally, I'd prefer it if it's just had plug and play harness' so I can swap it out with the stock HU in my 200 and vice versa.

Tax is a little annoying, as I just taxed mine for a year last year (£250!) and the 300 tax expires end of July. MOT wise, mine expires next month, 300 in Sept, so nothing in it really.

I suppose it really comes down to the cars condition - if it's not as good as mine, in terms of being looked after, handling/how it feels, then it's not worth it. Yes the few extra ponies from the 300 would be a bonus, but not my priority for changing the car. Really it's down to the gearbox - I should have bought an auto from the start (this week especially I've been laid up with trapped tendons in my left ankle, which means I can barely walk and can't drive as clutch changing hurts like hell!)

No idea of the insurance difference, nor the MPG difference (surely it can't be WORSE than the 200's already pathetic MPG?!)

Will have to ponder it a little bit I suppose....

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

I have a look around now and again at 300's. very tempting. Alot of hassle involved swapping cars though, especially finding one that is better or equal in maintenance. then again why would a buyer of my car want anything less. I would ideally want a GS430, but they cost more to fix and of course fuel costs, so a 300 might be a more sensible choice

Hi matt , as a ex 300 and 200 owner I would recommended 300, but if fuel is ur issue u thinking again!, insurance I think u will be fine , think u more older than me, will for most Lexus owner anyway :) , they is still well look after 300 out there.

If u could go for the late model.

Hi matt , as a ex 300 and 200 owner I would recommended 300, but if fuel is ur issue u thinking again!, insurance I think u will be fine , think u more older than me, will for most Lexus owner anyway :) , they is still well look after 300 out there.

If u could go for the late model.

everyone ive asked who has a 300 has told me fuel costs will be minuscule compared to IS200

I never work how much mpg I do , cos I never drive my car a lot , but heard the mpg is similar to auto is200.

no same. i just put 50 quid in it every couple of weeks and leave it at that lol. deff doing better now had a service tho. just done 100 miles on quarter of a tank. ooops going off topic again :whistling:

i dunno. for me the power would be nice yeah but i just cant see myself using those extra 50bhp. i rarely get to drive my is200 properly. in fact just by having the extra power i would be tempted to use it more often therefore getting a worse MPG figure, whereas i just dont even bother with the 200 as its just to much disappointment everytime lol. in addition its not the type of car that needs to be thrashed to shift, it will quite happily potter around under the 3krpm mark, unlike my last car that needed to hit 4k just to keep up with the flow lol

To me the power is just a byproduct. I don't see the IS as a performance car - because, well, it's not! I do give the 200 a kicking now and again, because it does handle fantastically through the twisty country lanes, but otherwise it's poodled around like a cruiser most of the time.

• Like 1

I think IS200's are great, and they don't lack power if you aren't a power freak. It's not a sports car.

But I must admit if the IS300 had 6spd manual I would have gone with one of those for sure.

I know the 5 speed is a better box due to having higher OD gear and manual shift ability but is it much smoother too? still need to have a ride in a 300 to compare :whistling:

I know the 5 speed is a better box due to having higher OD gear and manual shift ability but is it much smoother too? still need to have a ride in a 300 to compare :whistling:

IMO yes. The engine is much better, you have more torque so it doesn't have to rev as much to get the same level of performance. The IS200 auto revs the engine quite a bit which, combined with a quite noisy engine, makes it very different experience to the 300. The gear shift is much smoother too.

I spent a lot of time looking into the IS300/Sportcross and one of my "wants" was a smooth auto gearbox and I have to say I'm as pleased as punch with the auto in my IS300 Sportcross, it's so smooth the changes are hard to detect, coupled with the engine it's a superb drive.

My friend who runs his own garage turned his nose up when I arrived for him to check it over for me, during the check he started commenting on how good it was put together and for an 8 year old car he was impressed with the condition. He started asking about the gearbox, what it was like etc. I gave him the keys and told him to take it out for a drive, he came back with a big grin on his face and said it was about the best auto box he had used!

Perhaps a test drive in the IS300 might give you a better idea if it's worth changing from your IS200?

test drove 3 IS200's and 2 IS300's including 2 GS300's when I was thinking of getting a Lexus and though the 200 was good it felt light and not planted for all 3 id rove. the GS300's were screwed together felt solid and moved very smoothly button and leather seats felt well put together but felt too big a car for me. the IS300 falls between the IS200 and GS300 in that it feels more planted, less nosier, and smoother than the IS200's but handles better and feels more quicker than the GS300 due to having less weight. as Colin Barber mentioned it feels more smoother drive due to the engine and gearbox. the gearbox is the same one used in the flagship LS430's so it has to be creamy smooth couple that with having more torque lower down the rev range compared to the IS200, it makes it more a relaxing drive and can still be tossed around in corners in M mode when one wants it so in other words its a GS in an IS chassis. you cant have the extra 55bhp the IS300 has without sacrificing something so mpg will suffer a little compared to the IS200 but not a lot to break the bank. Insurance is also higher but again not a lot to break the bank. if you don't need the extra power then the auto IS200 is where you need to be looking as its mpg is closer to the manual version and insurance will be pretty much the same. its 4 speed compared to the 300's 5 speed box but 5th gear only comes into action on motorways or open roads so if you wont be driving on open roads 80-90% of the time, then 1 - 4 gears will be enough.

Manual over Auto for me

Everyones pref is different though

nice to see someone open to the fact some ppl like autos and theres nothing wrong with that! most of my friends give me jip lol but i dont care. first friend i showed the car to looked inside and said why auto

I spent a lot of time looking into the IS300/Sportcross and one of my "wants" was a smooth auto gearbox and I have to say I'm as pleased as punch with the auto in my IS300 Sportcross, it's so smooth the changes are hard to detect, coupled with the engine it's a superb drive.

My friend who runs his own garage turned his nose up when I arrived for him to check it over for me, during the check he started commenting on how good it was put together and for an 8 year old car he was impressed with the condition. He started asking about the gearbox, what it was like etc. I gave him the keys and told him to take it out for a drive, he came back with a big grin on his face and said it was about the best auto box he had used!

Perhaps a test drive in the IS300 might give you a better idea if it's worth changing from your IS200?

ive had similar comments from 2 mechanics and my Dad who was underneath it a month ago with me. and mines 5 years older!