Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Head Gasket Gone - New Engine

Touche

Hi,

Just thought I'd share my experience of the notorious head gasket issue which I've had fixed this week.

Bought my 2009 Lexus IS220d at 57K miles just under 3 years old last year. I had it serviced at 60k miles and there were no real issues. I was getting 55-58mpg on the motorway and around 42mpg tank average. It had a FLSH with 5 stamps in the book.

A few weeks back I noticed a drop in the economy to around 33mpg and found the coolant was spraying over the engine bay. I hadn't noticed any overheating issues but found the heaters weren't as powerful as they should have been. The engine oil cap was didn't show any white material inside and there was no oily stuff in the water reservior that I could see but having read up a little I still had a good idea it was the head gasket. I was due a 70k service in any case so phoned around for quotes in the midlands. Coventry were cheapest and offered to fit me in the next day.

They confirmed I needed a new engine in addition to a new water pump which was also apparently leaking. They offered me a CT200h as a courtesy car for free and said they could have a new engine the next day and would start working on it right away. With the car's FLSH they said they would the work under the engine's goodwill extended warranty.

So I took the CT200h (not bad, but not as nice as I'd hoped; my wife was considering getting one so it was nice for her to see one in the flesh and let me drive her around in it over the weekend) and went on my way last Thursday. Yesterday (Tuesday) I had a call to say the car was ready and had been road tested so this morning I went to pick it up and it's a pleasure to drive again. I just paid for the servicing. I'm limiting my revs to under 2k at the moment and drove home with a very light foot...

It managed 61.7mpg over 66 miles on the motorway cruising at 60mph and showed 60.6mpg by the time I got home and battled another 8 miles of traffic. I've had a quick look and the coolant currently shows no signs of a leak.

The dealer has offered to take a look at the car again after I've covered my first 1000 miles to check there are no issues. At the moment I'm a happy bunny, well done Lexus Coventry.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us, all too often it is the opposite cases that appear on the forums so it is good to hear the dealer dealt with the issue without issues!

That is some amazing mileage you are getting, I'm lucky to get 22 on a run with a 4.0L V8.

Hi. That's a great result :)

As Steve said we see a lot of stories on here of people having to fight Lexus UK to get the work covered under the warranty. All stories should be the same as yours.

Amazing MPG by the way. I didn't think the 220d was capable of that. I read 40-45 is about normal. Impressive :)

Good to hear that you got your motor sorted out FOC.

Bit concerned to hear a 2009 model had the head gasket issue. I was lead to believe the problem was in the 06-08 cars....must admit until now they were the only years I had seen with the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

hi all

I've got a 57 plate 220D and have just started having the OP's issue eg losing coolant from the overflow pipe on the expansion tank. No oil in water / vice versa. I'm going to get the engine sniff tested asap just to confirm its nothing silly like a duff tank cap. My question is this - I get my car serviced at a non Lexus garage. I bought the car at 44k (it had about four / five lexus stamps up to that point) and have had it serviced at 55, 65, 75 and now 85k since (as I said before at a non Lexus garage). What is the Lexus line on honouring the goodwill extended warranty on this HG issue. Its clearly all over the internet as a known issue.........

The official line from Lexus is it has to be a full Lexus service history. But I've read many threads now where people have got the engine replaced under warranty as long as there is evidence of the car being maintained to a certain standard, i.e. non Lexus service history.

Depending on what dealer you go to you may have to fight with them a little but persevere, it is a well known design fault and as your car has been maintained albeit not by Lexus, I still think you have a very strong case.

thanks Chris. Out of interest what constitutes "maintained to a certain standard"? Looking at the service schedule its pretty much only oil & filter changes up to 100k other than a fuel and air filter change. Even a coolant change itself isn't due until 100k.

I think that would constitute a certain standard and if the book is stamped. Basically I think a certain standard is to follow the service schedule. They might try to wrangle out of it as they're not Lexus services but as I said just challenge them and don't give up. They will fold I'm sure lol :)

I think if the car hadn't seen a service since 20 or 30k and no history or stamps in the book then I think Lexus might tell you to jog on as the car has clearly not been maintained.

Lexus are offering an extended repair period under their terms which asks for FLSH. Others have tried and failed to get them to move from that position without success. It has very little to do with the dealer, it is the faceless Lexus GB that decide.

If you get no joy then the sales of goods act and the courts remain an option.

kinda feared that TBH......

ho hum - lets see how it goes. The bottom line is that I'm going through the worlds most acrimonious divorce and can do without a 2k bill.

Has anyone on hear ever tried that "steel seal" stuff (or anything equivalent?

• 3 weeks later...

Wahayyyyy!!!!!!!!!

Lexus Leicester fitted a new engine to my 57 plate diesel under the extended warranty!!!

I is an verily happy bunny!!!

My car has 86k on the clock - serviced every 10k but only the first three were at Lexus - the rest were at my local garage. Lexus clearly believed (quite right, too) that my car had indeed been treated as it should. What's interesting is the age old debate about "what oil is best?" Even though the user manual simply stipulates a grade rather than synth / mineral / semi there's been a Lexus bulletin that stipulates 0/30 "low ash" oil. Eg the user manual is now WRONG, In reality anyone outside of Lexus is unlikely to know about that.

Still - I have nothing but prais for Lexus Leicester!!

The thing about the oil is that IF an owner were to use low ash fully synth I'd guess the gasket issue is delayed rather than avoided. Normski - have you had the HG issue?

TBH, I'm pretty glad I've been using the "wrong" oil (even though its correct according to the service details within trhe owners manual) - its LED to the HG issue occurring, being discovered and getting fixed FOC within the goodwill period.

I contacted Lexus UK directly and they confirmed that A1/B1 5w30 oil is to be used (as per the handbook). I queried this again and they stood by A1/B1 5w30. I then asked them why did 2 different lexus dealers only use 5w30/0w30 C2 (low ash oil) then they apologized and Lexus technical confirmed 5w30/0w30 c2 oil ash oil to be used only.

The thing about the oil is that IF an owner were to use low ash fully synth I'd guess the gasket issue is delayed rather than avoided. Normski - have you had the HG issue?

TBH, I'm pretty glad I've been using the "wrong" oil (even though its correct according to the service details within trhe owners manual) - its led to the HG issue occurring, being discovered and getting fixed FOC within the goodwill period.

I did indeed have the HG issue...just 4 months after getting the car!!

I was told to use Low Ash oil and did thereafter. It may have been used before as Lexus did all the servicing.

I would suspect that low ash wasn't used in your cars life before your ownership. Seemingly the 0w-30 low ash oil thing was a late-in-the-day Lexus Engineering response to a shed load of warranty claims (likely to delay the issue rather than prevent it.......). As I said I think its better to flush this issue out and get the engine sorted BEFORE the 110k / 7 year period is up. For those of us who have had an engine swap we're laughing. Apart from whatever ancilliary components were kept in place (turbo, alternator, water pump, etc) we've not just had a replacement engine but also an updated engine. Any design changes to rings, bearings, waterways, etc, etc, etc will be incorporated into the lumps now under our bonnets - WAY better than simply a new HG.

I wonder how many 2006 - 2009 diesel 220's out there on Autotrader are simply waiting to go pop? Never has it been so important to make sure that a secondhand car has been officially well looked after.............

Whichever supplier designed / manufactured the HG will be getting badly beaten up & billed by Lexus (big fat numbers with 7 or 8 zeroes.....). Lexus will give "ownership" & "liability" for such issues to its supplier base at the outset. Lexus will have some form of responsibility to avoid any old Tom, ***** or Harry getting a new engine FOC but to a pretty large extent it will be a first tier suppliers insurance company footing the bill.

I'm not sure I'd get too fixated on the type of oil 'causing' the HG issue. My understanding is that there was a design flaw with the engineering of the head itself, which I think was done in Poland.. Believe it or not there was documentation relating to tiny 'jiggling' type movements between the head and block. This could be seen as a series of tiny scuff marks.

A member here, who was a Toyota mechanic, put up a very good post with photographic evidence to support what he was saying. If I remember right his tag was Ormi. It would be worth your while digging back through the archives here to read what he put up.

don't worry - no oil fixation.....

I've not seen the post you refer to but I'm familiar with the issue. I understand it's known as "carbon stamping" and the gasket issue is known as "shuffling". Carbon builds up in the bores and, over time, exerts pressure on the gasket forcing it to move about. Eventually the gasket fails. The idea behind the oil choice is to reduce the carbon build up (seemingly low sulphur fuel is another recommendation). Essentially this is a design flaw, block or gasket or head, and I would have thought changing the recommended oil type can only delay the issue rather that totally avoid it. I can't see how changing oil & fuel type are serious fixes for a fundamental design fault. The carbon deposits from oil travelling up the bore must be pretty minimal compared to the carbon deposits left by different "qualities" of diesel used by the average 220 owner. I've had VAG diesels with their "longlife" engines - you're expected to always carry around a bottle of oil to top them up whenever the car feels the need for a top up - obviously they're designed to burn oil. The oil consumption on my 220 doesn't come close to my A4 or Touran (neither are missed, especially the A4 - what an utterly rubbish overrated car).

Whatever - I'm just glad that Lexus are keen to protect their brand and sort the issue out. Its easy to google other brands and find some real horror stories lurking beneath the surface.........

Late night edit; forgot to mention - tried AC first time today - compressor doesn't even kick in. Methinks the system needs to be discharged to drop a new motor in and then recharged after the new engine is fitted but the recharge bit didn't happen.......

Hopefully they'll be able to sort me out quickly......

• 2 weeks later...

looks like the aircon problem is going to be an awkward one - it works perfectly ok unless its a hot day in which case it refuses to even start getting cool. The ac pipes through the bulkhead are almost too cold to touch on a day like today (21 degrees or so) but last Friday (29ish around here) nowt was happening. Anyone got any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Update..

AC issue was a sticking pressure switch - taken out, cleaned, lubed and replaced by Lexus Leicester FOC and issue now sorted. Two thousand miles on & car is running sweet. Things I've noticed;

- consumption is around 2 -3 mpg better (like for like driving & journies)

- deadspot around 2.5k gone

- car pulls easily & smoothly in sixth from 60ish - no labouring like before (evidence of a new map?)

- car seems smoother, quieter.......

:hocus-pokus: :hocus-pokus: :hocus-pokus:

That is good to hear.

If you have not read this before, then please go this page and take a good read. Think you will find it very interesting. I received a link to this from Powerenhancer as I purchase their products from time to time.

http://www.oilem.com/content/136-dpf-cleaners-dpf-cleaning.html

Now it's all good you want to keep it that way. I've found the products very effective in my sons 220d. New engine like you after head gasket popped some 25,000 miles ago. He's averaging 45mpg and up to 53 on a decent run. Cleaned his EGR two weeks ago (after 6000 mls) and there was just a light dusting of soot inside.

• 2 months later...

Guys i'm in the process of getting a new engine replaced. I have couple of questions.

1. Are they reconditioned engines ?

2. As we all know now that there is a flaw in design of this engines hence the failure of HG but the replacement they are fitting back in vehicles, Are they modified engines so this Head Gasket issue does not happen again ?

3.What can i do as a owner to keep this vehicle in good mechanical (apart from normal servicing) conditon so problems like HG do not occur and problem with DBF ?

Thanks

1. Some are reconditioned, some are brand new. But worry not, it's a full factory exchange unit, not some dodgy eBay job.

2. The replacement engine has modifications to prevent this happening and they have switched to low ash oil, take the new engine and enjoy the car.

3. Only use low ash 0w30 or 5w30 C2 spec when servicing or topping up!! Comma do a 5w30 C2 oil cheaply so there is no excuse not to use the right grade. A good revving on the motorway once a week will keep the dpf happy!

Out of curiosity, what age and miles are on your car at replacement? Service history?

Enjoy, report back!

3. Only use low ash 0w30 or 5w30 C2 spec when servicing or topping up!! Comma do a 5w30 C2 oil cheaply so there is no excuse not to use the right grade. A good revving on the motorway once a week will keep the dpf happy!

Out of curiosity, what age and miles are on your car at replacement? Service history?

Enjoy, report back!

Thanks Thats great news!!, you reassured me. To be honest i was having some doubt on keeping the vehicle after the engine replacement. Like many others on here i too thought Lexus made bomb proof engines and didn't think twice but seems they best stick to petrol and NOT diesel engines in the future.

My lexus is a 2007 model, 90k on the clock and has 6 lexus stamps upto 60,000 miles (1 owner) and 3 stamps from a local garage (2nd owner) for intermediate service at 70k, 80k and 89k. I had no problems with Lexus, they accepted that the vehicle was maintained to a standard.

With regards to oil, i have 8 litres of Castrol Edge (FST) 5W-30 fully synthetic left over from my last vehicle. is it suitable for this vehicle? and Is this stuff low ash ??

Thanks once again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links