Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

White Smoke Intermittent

ancientone

need to pick your brains gentlemen. have a is220d with 116000 miles on clock and have an intermittent white smoke problem does not do it whilst stood have been on mway on cruise control doing 80moh and noticed a white puff of smoke every minute or so.At other times it will chuck out a lot of smoke whilst changing gear after hardish acceleration usually first couple of gear changes then clears up! Next day will not smoke at all?? my dpf caused me probs approx 6 weeks ago ( limp mode etc) used forte dpf cleaner and regenerator add to tank get on mway and get up to 70/80 in 3rd (4000 revs to clean it stop and start to stay out o limp mode then disconnected Battery to wipe out fault) has been okay since then have tanked up several times so assume that cleaner is all gone? am losing oil but not a lot poss litre in 6 weeks SO gents what the heck is the problem???

ps have not touched egr valve and getting 30mpg no loss of performance and no strange noises.

hellppp!

Sounds like bad news, sounds like the head gasket. Check the oil cap for a white mayonnaise type substance and check your coolant for droplets of oil. The loss of oil is concerning, are you also loosing coolant? Lexus's don't use oil, not a drop.

Do a search on IS220d head gasket problems on this forum. There's a design fault with the head gasket and Lexus have been replacing engines under an extended goodwill warranty, 6 years old or under 111'000 miles as long as you have a full service history, but as your car is at 116,000 miles I think you might be outside this.

Good luck

nope sorry not head gasket no water in oil no loss of coolant had an oil change at a garage recently nothing reported as raising any concerns (and yes I trust the garage my wife works for em lol) I did think it may be valve stem seals or even leaking past turbo bearing but as it is intermittent has me beat also rules out rings would a blocked egr valve cause this? or possible blocked breather causing overpressure in head forcing oil down valve stems????????

There are many cases of it being the head gasket with no obvious symptoms such as coolant and oil mixing. It's just with this cars reputation maybe get a second opinion or get Lexus to have a look at it. I've read a few stories on here where the only symptoms are loss of oil or coolant (not necessarily both and not necessarily mixing) and smoke out the back as your describing.

Using a litre of oil every 6 weeks is alarming. If you've just had an oil change then it's not seals or anything?

Can't answer your other questions I'm sorry and i do hope for your sake its something like you've mentioned. Hope you get it sorted anyway :)

Hi Steve,

I agree with Chris that the symptoms can be a little subtle initially with the issues related to the head gasket on the Lexus 220 diesels. If you have not seen what Chris has described, I am sure that you will see the pink engine coolant sprayed around the engine bay. The coolant is pushed put due to leaking gases which can be tested. The IS 220d are prone to head gasket failure, and I think in your case the white smoke could due to low cylinder compression arising from to leaking valves, piston ring sticking, or o-ring wear. I am certain that your egr valve is also fully corked up too! Thre are lots of other members reporting similar issues under egr, dpf, and head gasket etc. I suggest you get your car to Lexus, and provided you have some service history, you could get get this repaired under their extended warranty which is 7 year/ 110 k or so miles. I had mine done last year, new engine (most of it), now feels like a new car even if it is 7yrs old!! Let us know how you get on.

• 2 years later...

I think i have similar problem with my is220d. Its a 57reg with 85k miles.

Sometimes it smokes alot will changing gear and accelerating from traffic lights. Somedays it hardly smokes and just see some puff.

Oil and coolant level are fine. I think its the dpf.

Will using wynns dpf cleaner help to clear the Dpf?

Money is abit tight any suggestion.

Sorted mine in end over 131k miles now and still going strong oil has settled down did need egr valve cleaning and then just used forte dpf, cleaner get on motorway and wind up revs 3500/4000 so it gets good n warm will chuck out lotta smoke but that is it burning out crap then just chuck an odd treament in every 3/4 months works for me. Still on original dpf and not had to touch head etc and yes, when it enters dpf cleaning mode it does chuck out smoke when accelerating, but normally nothing.  So In my case no doom n gloom, just try cleaning  egr valve (but do a good job) use treatment and if its like mine all will be fine. Mine is mostly is used on short runs 6/7 miles to and from work, no motorway driving no high speed work so would expect to clog up more than most. Dont know about wynns I have only used forte dpf cleaner and this works for me  hope this helps

On 28 February 2016 at 4:10 AM, ancientone said:

Sorted mine in end over 131k miles now and still going strong oil has settled down did need egr valve cleaning and then just used forte dpf, cleaner get on motorway and wind up revs 3500/4000 so it gets good n warm will chuck out lotta smoke but that is it burning out crap then just chuck an odd treament in every 3/4 months works for me. Still on original dpf and not had to touch head etc and yes, when it enters dpf cleaning mode it does chuck out smoke when accelerating, but normally nothing.  So In my case no doom n gloom, just try cleaning  egr valve (but do a good job) use treatment and if its like mine all will be fine. Mine is mostly is used on short runs 6/7 miles to and from work, no motorway driving no high speed work so would expect to clog up more than most. Dont know about wynns I have only used forte dpf cleaner and this works for me  hope this helps

Thanks for the help

will definitely give it a go

As stated in post, oil consumption has now settled down don`t need anything between services normally, just an occasional top up mls not ltrs lol and always use a good low ash oil cannot stress enough must be low ash don1t use cheap oil don`t use one that is not low ash no matter the quality and I cocked up my mileage its 138250

I have a feeling you had low viscosity oil spec ed to A3/A5 when it was consuming oil. then you moved to C3 spec. ... Would like to know what oil exactly you used in the past and what you have moved to.

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem. It is the EGR: full of carbon soot. It is easy to clean out; it took me 2 hours. I used this video to work out how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-VKumMn5co

Before the clean, I had intermittent white smoke, and sporadic rattling and vibration in the engine, then LIMP mode (with "Check VSC" and warning lights displayed). After I cleaned it, the car was back up to power and... best of all... I didn't notice the engine.