Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing The Steering Rack On My 93 Ls400. Advice Needed

Its been leaking for about 6 months now and i cannot put it off any longer. Not least because its costing a small fortune in fluid.

I wondering if the rack can be removed without dismantling anything else?

And are the 89-92 racks the same as the 93-96 racks?

Im not looking forward to this job so, if you have done it yourself, what was involved and were there any issues i should be aware of?

Don't know about interchange ability.

Doesn't look too bad a job.

From the manual, potted version..

Strap up the steering wheel with a seat belt to fix it in the straight ahead position.

Put match marks on the universal joint and shaft,loosen the bolt on the upper side and

remove the lower bolt to disconnect the u/j.

Tilt up the brake cylinder and wire it up, don't disconnect the hose.

Remove tie rod ends from the knuckle arm.

Raise the transmission slightly and remove the gear housing-DO NOT DAMAGE THE TURN PRESSURE TUBES

This is the bit you could do with the picture: place the whole rack on the floor with the gear housing at the centre point.

measure from the start of the threads to the top of the lock nut at each end, should be 32mm.

The other measurement is from the bracket to a line just in front of the pipes where they cross over the main rack tube-497mm,

if this makes sense.

Assembly realign match marks and refit u/j.

After inserting rotation stopper in the valve housing holes,tighten union bolts to reconnect pressure and return hoses.

Picture shows tab on upper joint at six oclock, tab on lower at 7oclock positions

Refit caliper

Finally check wheel centre point and toe-in

Hope this is some use!

I found this on another club site with pictures.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/442710-boots-leaking-steering-rack-rack-and-pinion-replacement-diy.html

I bought a recon rack for a 93-94 model shown below on eBay a couple of years ago for £15.00 and only recently did I resell it!

I also have a good rack from a 1997 model but not sure on the compatability.

post-12144-0-29587700-1371991247_thumb.j

Hi Steve2006,

Just spoken to Lexus Carlisle and it looks like a different rack.

Pity that, I would rather give you the money that an ebayer I dont know.

Cheers anyway mate.

I might buy the bits to repair the one i have.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links