Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recently bought GS300 2002 - Everything works and its great.

However

Theres a few things not covered in the handbook.

What is the "bee sting" ariel, antenna on the roof - what does it do? -whats it for?

Also

There are buttons on either side of the steering wheel labelled "down"

The explanation is obviously simple but until recently I have run old and classic cars without the gadgets.

Any information appreciatedpost-47443-0-77477100-1372150639_thumb.jpost-47443-0-36682600-1372150846_thumb.j

the steering wheel buttons are for the e-shift function.

If you move out of Drive and into Manual you can use the buttons to control the maximum gear the transmission will shift into. If you look/feel behind the wheel you will find the corresponding up buttons.

I too have the same bee sting aerial and they are on all the mk2 GSs I was wondering the other day what it was for

They certainly weren't on all series II GSs. The two I owned didn't have them. I think they may have been fitted after a certain year.

• Like 1

Just looked at the photo of the OP's steering wheel which doesn't seem compliant with the phone kit (which was a factory fit option).On the left side of the steering wheel/column should be a black module with MODE + up/down on nearest part, 1 2 and 3 on the bit behind and on the rear part another button with picture of telephone on it.

There is a photo of it in my gallery.

Agree with Colin, the buttons on the steering wheel are the e-shift buttons for the gear shifts. They become active when you put the gear stick to the "M" position. Was on all GS300's from 01 onwards. Always annoyed me that they didn't fit the feature to the 430's.

No idea on the the antenna, but does look like the mobile phone option. Never had one on my 99 GS300 Sport or my 01 GS430 Sport.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the input.

The gear shift now makes sense but bee sting is still a bit of a mystery - it seems as if the actual bee sting was fitted as standard after a certain date but any other mobile fittings were an optional extra and I can't find any further information - the local Lexus salesman didn't have a clue about a model this old ??

As I stated previously, not only was the antennae a factory fit but also, if the phone option was specified, the steering wheel/ column controls for the phone were also a factory fit. The phone with my car was a Motorola fliptop phone which actually has Lexus embossed on it and also the cradle fitted in the upper compartment of the twin compartment centre console. From my research when I purchased my car just over 5 yrs ago, very few were ordered with the factory phone but if it was then it would have had the full kit fitted in the factory and not just the antenna

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/gallery/album/516-phone-things/