Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pre Cut Window Tints

carlb

Anybody used the specificaly cut window tints of eBay rather than rolls are they any good? How hard is the rear window on an is200 to do ? Will try the heating on outside thing first.

I have done a few tints before and did a spot on job after practice but only on hatchbacks so rear window wasnt an issue. I just want to go with a slight tint nothing dark limo just light smoke kinda like the standard tints on sports i think. Just dont fancy paying local shop pricing when they are so much cheaper diy.

Thanks

The pros make it look so easy but even after buying a "How to Tint" DVD it still looked pretty involved with the rear window as the stuff has to be cut precisely and then butt joined because of the curvature of the glass.

Perhaps do the side windows yourself and get a local outfit to do the rear window with you supplying the tint?

Yeah thats a good idea never thought of splitting them. I reckon thats probably best as i know the side windows will be a lot easier and i will finish those no probs then go mental at struggling on the rear window. should i buy the rear window tint or just let them supply and fit? I guess if its the same % shouldnt make a difference.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

What a waste of 3 hours. I had already ordered the pre cut kit so thought would just have a crack at the rear window. I completely stripped the rear of the car Seats,pillars,parcel shelf etc just to get as much access as possible as the bottom of the window is impossible to reach with the speakers in place. I heat shrunk it on the outside first to get the curvature of the window not a single bubble or crease but once inside it was impossible to get the edges down the middle was spot on but after an hour of trying to use various tinting tools i gave up even with everything out theres is so little room so as predicted i lost it and ripped it all off.

Just glad i didnt do the side windows first or it would of looked stupid. Anyone know a place or someone in Manchester who could fit it at a reasonable price my local place wanted £175 for just the rears!! ?

Thanks

Lol I could of told you this as I went down the same road. I have a thread with similar title. I tried it twice on my focus rear window and was extremely frustrated. I even damaged rear defrost lines by ripping it off in a strop that I later repaired. I think of is positively veing a life lesson :)

However I will say idid side windows np and was very easy and looked profressional due to no heat shinking required on flat window... So do your sides yourself and pay someone £100 to do rear is my advise which is quote I got

It would be cheaper to buy the tinted side glass from a sport, I paid £15 per side. Didn't do back window as not noticable really.

It would be cheaper to buy the tinted side glass from a sport, I paid £15 per side. Didn't do back window as not noticable really.

Good idea. Ive replaced glass in cars before but the little quarters look a tricky business?

Pre-cut film is cheaper than you think too btw, think i was quoted around £15 for just sides

They are a little fiddly but I found it easier if you undo motor for window completely. I have the removal instructions for the glass if you need them

I have found a proffesional not to far away who will do full rear tints for £100 not mobile he is in a proper unit. I bought 70% tint as i just wanted a suttle rear tint like standard on sports but 70 was too light as i have the cream/light interior so i think i will get him to do 50% but will try them against glass when i go nxt week

Cheers